1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Census Boycott?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Mar 28, 2018.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

When trolls get trolled. :D

Rashmon likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It is currently the practice to include illegal aliens in the count for apportionment: https://www.census.gov/population/apportionment/about/faq.html#Q16. I think it is a reasonable argument to say they should be excluded. (It might have been smart if this was an agency decision for Trump to first rewrite the rules to exclude them and then order the census to collect legal status data on the argument that such people should not be included.) Since they are supposed to be included though, I think the Census Bureau has a responsibility to do their best to count them, which will require not doing things that intimidate them out of participating.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I agree. The constitution is wrong on this one. It should be citizens only that get counted, not all residents. Constitution is out-dated on this one and they never could have anticipated all the illegal aliens.

So yeah, change it to fit modern times. I mean, they wrote that document when people were using muskets for guns for heaven's sake!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

When was the last time there was not an undercount on the decennial census?

5. JuanValdez

1. Are you suggesting we should give up trying?
    2. A randomly distributed undercount would not impact distributions of power. When those undercounts run high in particular demographics, it will have the effect of shifting power from one demographic to another. So, a prejudicial (searching for the right word there) undercount is worse than a random one.
    3. Among such prejudicial undercounts, some can result from uncontrollable factors. Homeless people are probably harder to count, or people who don't speak English, or whatever. We should (and I believe we do) put extra effort into finding and counting the hard-to-reach people. But there are also controllable drivers, like the government creating an atmosphere of fear among illegal immigrants that if they answer the survey they'll get deported. So, we should do what we can to compensate for the uncontrollable factors, but we should definitely control the controllable ones. This is one we see coming. If you believe what I think is very credible, that asking questions about legal status will deter people from mixed-status households from responding, then you have to not ask those questions because it will create not just an undercount, but a controllable prejudicial undercount. One that I cynically believe Wilbur Ross not only expects but intends.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You are assuming quite a bit. There is no evidence to indicate that past decennial census undercounts were “randomly” distributed. And we have a mechanism to make-up undercounted areas and we should use it: door-to-door census counters.

7. JuanValdez

I didn't mean to imply that past undercounts were random. I was proposing a framework to think of the problem -- a spectrum that runs from the benign (randomized undercounts) to the malicious (intentional and antidemocratic power grabs).

I'm sure the door-to-door guys will continue to try their best because they are dedicated public servants (aka Deep State) who want to do a good job, but they can only do so much to compensate for bad or malicious strategy.

8. Major

Major Member

So just to be clear, you think we should disregard the Constitution? Does that apply on to this issue, or anywhere we want?

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not surprising.

In a Jan. 19 internal memo prepared for Ross, the Census Bureau's chief scientist, John Abowd, wrote that adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census "is very costly, harms the quality of the census count, and would use substantially less accurate citizenship status data than are available" from existing government records at other federal agencies.

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

and the info show... he LIED

What a surprise. WH is full of unethical liars.

No Worries and NewRoxFan like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

Then... why add the question?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

more #winning.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So Ross violated federal law?

LOCK HIM UP!!!

(right?)

No Worries likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. NewRoxFan

A second Federal Court rules against trump, ross, and the effort to add a citizenship question in the Census...

Federal judge in California bars Trump administration from adding citizenship question to 2020 census
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/06/fed...om-adding-citizenship-question-to-census.html

Rashmon likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

19. NewRoxFan

SMH, No political reasons?

lol, secretary ross seems to believe he has "executive privilege"... or is he pleading the Fifth?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Secretary Ross says "I testified truthfully to the best of my ability."

Huh.

I see now why the Donald gave him that job.

I never would've come up with such a clever way to say "I lied about why I wanted that question in the census" in a million years...

....only the best people could do that...:confused::rolleyes:

JuanValdez likes this.