1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics not done, keep eye on Marc Gasol?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 5, 2017.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No I really like Embiid

2. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

No way adding Gasol will put them over Cleveland. Ainge will sit tight and maybe trade for Tyson Chandler or something.

malakas likes this.
  3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Because having the best player be a white guy is a death sentence.

Sincerely,

Larry Bird
    Dirk Nowitski
    Steve Nash
    Playoff Manu Ginobili

4. malakas

malakas Member

John Wall.
    Also Embiid is impossible to rate. Too few minutes with a usage that would make even Harden jealous let alone other Centers.
    Is he good? Yes. But give this usage to other good players and you will also see some eye-popping stats.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Normally I would agree with you, but the Sixers were actually winning when he played. They were 9-1 in his last 10 games before he got shut down. I really think he could have played but the Sixers were trying to get Fultz.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said we aren't playing in the 80s (Bird). As good as Nash was what did he ever win.

And I love Ginobili more than anyone but he was not close to the best player on that team.

Are you saying Hayward is as good as Bird, Nowitzki, and Nash? Sure their are some that can win, but cmon, you just compared Hayward who couldn't make an ALL NBA team, to 3 MVPS.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

First, Hayward is not necessarily the best player on that team - it may very well be Isiah Thomas, and if you think a 6" guy with a solid team behind him can't win a championship, then all you need to do is look at the other famous guy with his same name and the Pistons of the late 80s / early 90s.

Second, Nash led his teams to great seasons- his not winning a championship does not negate that. But, fine, keep him out of the discussion.

Third, I said Playoff Ginobili for a reason. In 2007, Ginobili was the best player in that series, IMO.

And you might think LeBron and his team can smoke the Celtics, but it's not a guarantee. We'll see.

8. malakas

malakas Member

he's good and a generational talent. But does that mean that if he played more he would lead the Sixers to 60-70 wins? Nope.
    They were more factors. Teams weren't taking them serious and preparing, and Embiid since it was the first time he had played in a nba court was unscouted by the defences.

So he's good and a future star but right now he's not the third best player of the east.
    Could he be next season? sure. Prove it on the court with many games.

9. malakas

malakas Member

That's racist. Judge a player by his abilities and not outright dismiss them by the colour of their skin.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Gasol certainly makes them interesting against the Cavs.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hope this happens. Adding Gasol would make them better than the Cavs IMO. He would clog the paint and elevate their defense to another level. He would also fit like a glove in their offense.

Regarding Conley, he's almost untradeable because of his contract. Grizzlies wouldn't get a lot for him.

Vivi and Mazulis like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Difference between the two Isiah Thomas is. Detroit one was 6 ft 1 and not 5 ft 9. Makes a huge difference. No player that small is gonna lead his team to a ring.

I truly believe if the Celtics were in the West they would have a hard time making the playoffs. I don't think Lebron even thinks they are a threat. They are loaded with Assets though and have a good future.

Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Thunder, Nuggets, Blazers, Timberwolves, Clippers. Might all be better than the Celtics.

malakas likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

IT, Hayward, Horford and Marc Gasol are all excellent players. But they aren't even close to Steph, Klay, Durant and Dray. And I don't think they can even match up with the Cavs because LeBron is arguably the greatest player of all time and the Celtics don't even have a single top 15 player. They would have four very good players, no doubt, but it's been proven over and over and over again that you need at least one top 10 talent to win. That Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Rasheed, Ben Wallace team is the only team I can think of who won a championship without one.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn Celtics. Watch them get truly relevant in time to give the Rockets a pain in the arse over the next few years. They beat us in the Finals in 1982 when we had Moses and an overachieving supporting cast, and again in 1986 with a healthy Ralph Sampson, a young Akeem already showing strong signs of his future greatness, and a better team overall.

I hate the Celtics. Love the city of Boston, though.

15. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just make 29 copies of this post for each team. Then you can bring up whoever became the no 1 seed and you will be always right.

don grahamleone and seeingredtx like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

He can ask for buyout and sign a 5M contract with GSW. That is the right thing to do Golden State needs him to put then over the hump.

18. rockets13champs

Tatum and brown no joke as well

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Did the Hayward signing even happen yet? Let him sign before thinking about the next step. The Celtics also have yet to pony up for Thomas.