1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum / Denver Broncos Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by seemoreroyals, Dec 3, 2018.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Case is not having quite as good a year as he did last year in Minnesota. I think the problems he is having is more a function of Denver's offensive scheme than anything he is doing personally. Plus He had better receivers to work with the Vikings. Sometimes I wish they would let him scramble a little more and be more creative like he was in Minnesota.

Having said that Case has Denver with a chance to make the playoffs with only 4 games left in the regular season. They have won their last 3 games and are now at 6-6 and are one game out of final wild card spot. They will probably need some help but they have a relatively easy 4 games left. They will be playing the 3 worst teams in football, the 49ers, Browns, and Raiders, with their final game at home against the Chargers. That is the only tough game they have left on their schedule and Denver beat the Chargers in LA earlier this year.

It won't be easy but it is doable. Denver is a much better team with Keenum than without and hope he has finally found a home after being underappreciated and bounced around from team to team for so many years.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Vikings should have kept him. I thought it was a bad move for Cousins who isn't an improvement.

plutoblue11 and seemoreroyals like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cousins is better. Y'all crazy. Vikings schedule got harder. Outside of the UH fanbase (13 people) nobody cares about Keenum.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Case Keenum just wins.

Tomstro and seemoreroyals like this.
  5. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

He has had to fight like hell to get where he is. He had one really bad bowl game and his stock went from first round to forgotten and lucky to be picked up by the Texans as a free agent. I admire his tenacity and would love to see him continue to do well.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I remember being happy when he stuck around long enough in the NFL to qualify for their insurance, I never thought he'd have this kind of sustained success so I'm exceptionally happy for him.

solid and seemoreroyals like this.
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

If they keep winning and the OC at Denver let's Case do his thing there is no telling how far he can take them.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

I thought it was a poor choice to play in Denver, but he's made the most of it. Unfortunately even making the playoffs won't be enough in Denver. They will be looking to replace him which in my opinion is dumb. He's a player. He had one of the great seasons last year that went completely unacknowledged and underappreciated. It's like everyone just dismissed it.

9. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

It really surprised me that Minnesota just kind of shrugged their shoulders and tossed him aside in favor of Cousins after the season that Case had last year. It's as if Keenum is cursed or something.

solid likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It looks like John Elway knows a lot more about QB's than y'all.

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I don't think either John Elway or their OC is as smart as they think they are or they would design more plays for Case to get out of the pocket and create plays like he did last year in Minnesota and like Mahomes is doing this year in KC. The defenses are just too athletic and fast to stay in the pocket nowadays. Staying in the pocket all the time leads to too many QB sacks and OL holding penalties. Cowboys have the same problem with Dak Prescott. If you have a smart and athletic QB you have to let them do their thing at least part of the time and mix things up to confuse the defense.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Could have beat the Texans, just barely lost both games against the Chiefs, barely lost against the Rams. And the Ravens are "good", so that's 5 good losses of their 6. The Jets loss hurts them, but then the Texans have losses against the Giants and Titans.

Wins against Seahawks, Charges, Steelers are impressive.

On the whole, it's probably a better team than its record.

Chargers very well might still be playing for seeding - win the division, better wildcard seed - that last game, so might come down to that. Chargers do play the Ravens head to head still, and Ravens play the Chiefs next week. I could see Colts getting by Texans and Cowboys (though wouldn't favor them probably in either game). Hard to envision the Dolphins doing better than 2-2 to end the season.

Chargers, Broncos, Colts, Ravens fighitng for those 2 wild cards, but Chargers almost assuredly have one locked up. That and the seeding at the top of the conference should be interesting. Chiefs have three tough games in a row here, without Hunt.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  13. hooroo

hooroo Member

trash ass qb but a superstar on clutchfans

Fulgore likes this.
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Remember Keenum had a monster final bowl game vs Penn State.

15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I don't think Rodgers or Mahomes would be successful in the offensive scheme Denver runs. If I was them I would get a new OC during the off season. This season for Denver now is for all practical purposes over. That loss they took yesterday against SF is inexcusable. Reminds me of UofH's loss earlier this year against SMU. To his credit Keenum rallied them in the end but his defense failed to make the stop it needed to give him one final shot.

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

The bowl game I am referring to is in 2009 when they got beat by Air Force in the Armed Services Bowl 47-20. The weather was really bad and Keenum had probably the worst game I can remember him having, The next year he got hurt early in the year and was granted a 6th season where he had an incredible year capped off by his game you refer to against Penn State. Unfortunately by then his NFL stock was really diminished partially due to his injury in 2010 and partially due to his performance in the bowl game in 2009. Before those occurrences he was widely believed to go in the first round of the draft. Ultimately he went undrafted and was signed as a free agent by the Texans.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Report: Broncos expected to fire Vance Joseph

The next coach will be the fourth coach hired by Elway since arriving in 2011 to assume control of the football operation in Denver. John Fox took the team to a Super Bowl. His successor, Gary Kubiak, won a Super Bowl. After Kubiak retired for health reasons, Elway hired Joseph, who had been a finalist when Kubiak got the job.

But Joseph has struggled, generating a record of 11-19 through 30 games. And now Elway, who benefits from an unsettled ownership structure that has no specific owner in place and in turn no traditional oversight or accountability from above, will need to hire someone else.

Maybe Mike Shanahan.