1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony traded to Hawks, will be bought out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htown7829, Jul 19, 2018.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    "Some years back" when Melo was a PER gawd and in his late 20's? Father time has caught up to Melo, my friend. Melo's efficiency plunged to never before seen depths last season. Very sharp declines in shooting percentage, offensive and defensive efficiency. As Father Time marches on, it is not realistic to think that these trends will reverse. Statistics must be kept fresh and constantly up to date. Melo's shelf life of a being a primary contributor are now over. Can his ego handle a supporting role on a team -- even a championship caliber team? No actions to date would support a 'yes' answer to that question. He comes cheap, but does the chemistry fit and can we afford to be saddled with one of the league's worst defenders? For the Rockets' sake, I would hate for the team to have to hire an oncologist to deal with Melo midway through next season.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but rarely am.

GOOD DAY

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah we all can debate the pros and cons of Melo's past and ignore certain key details to feature the cons more or the pros more. At the end of the day Melo will get a fresh start in a situation he's never been in that has more positive advantageous opportunities in regards to fit then he did a year ago in okc. At this point it will be up to Melo to make the most out of that situation just like it was for CP3 the previous year. We will see what happens. I plan to be here to talk about the results.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. Chamillionaire

What if he buys in and he's contributing nightly averaging 18 a night efficiently.
    If CP3 does his thing, I see no reason why Melo wouldn't thrive here with Harden and Capela. I mean has CP3 let you down yet?
    I really do feel due to CP3 and James' unselfish style of play, Melo's production will be similar to EGo at best, Lou Williams at worst.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Man, looking forward to adding those "_______" , "_________" players. Hopefully translates into an Ariza replacement.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Chamillionaire

Any idea who they might be?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey says YES to #sleeves. @Codman

[​IMG]

DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  7. threepointshot3

Melo in his current state is still better then a 2 week fluke scrub role player like jerry Lin

8. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

If the plan we think they're going with, which is CP3/Melo attacking 2nd units then I think Melo can average 20+.

Early on last season Donovan was using Melo that way. Melo and Felton manned the 2nd unit.

Melo's numbers 1st 7 games(4-3 record) when he was manning the 2nd unit with Felton.

23ppg on 46/35/80
    +/- at 8.4
    ORTG of 108.6
    DRTG of 99.1
    TS% 56.9
    EFG% 53.1

Donovan then put George in that spot for some reason and tethered Melo to Westbrook and Melo's numbers began tanking.

Next 7 games(3-4 record) when Donovan attached Russ to Melo for the remainder of the year

16.8ppg on 35/37/82
    +/- at 1.0
    ORTG of 100.0
    DRTG of 98.6
    TS% 50.0
    EFG% 42.4

Is it a coincidence his numbers fell off a cliff that fast after having a great start to the season?

2 man line up Melo with Westbrook net rating 4.1 first 7 games
    2 man line up Melo with Felton net rating 6.9 first 7 games

Melo/Felton had the 2nd highest net rating of 2 man duos for the Thunder of guys who played together in at least 68 games together(total number they shared on the court together)

I'll go even further, during that 7 game period to start the season Melo/Felton had a 104.4 ORTG and 94.1 DRTG.

I write all this to say that Melo played better 1. with a more natural facilitator at PG(he always has) and 2. he was killing 2nd units early on where the bulk of that 23ppg was coming from.

The Rockets have a better facilitator to pair him with in Paul and the substitution patterns that MDA runs will have them going at 2nd units night in and night out instead of Melo being attached to Westbrook all game against 1st units all game.

Melo + Westbrook just didn't fit together, Melo fit better with Felton but PG got the nod to man 2nd units over Melo and the rest is history.

Vivi, Cash Cam, AXG and 4 others like this.
  9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Not me

ArtV and H-Town Melo like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This was a really good read. Interesting perspective.

So, if Melo+CP against 2nd units will be lethal, is Melo starting?

As it stands now, CP comes out of the game around the 7 minute mark and then back in at the 2 min mark and through the start of the 2nd quarter. I wonder where Melo fits in that pattern.

11. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Thats how Donovan did it.

Melo started, came out around 7 and went back in to start the 2nd. Sometimes got a breather during the 2nd maybe 5/6 minute mark and came back in the last 3 minutes.

I think if you bring Melo off the bench you'd have to bring him in around the 4 minute mark of the first so he overlaps into the 2nd quarter but then he probably doesn't finish the quarter and you'd want his spacing out there depending on the score or how the games going.

I think starting him and matching his minutes with CP3 should work. Harden can handle things on his own as you guys have seen.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So I guess you take BOTH CP and Melo out at the 7 minute mark. And then Gordon comes in with Ennis with Harden.

13. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Or Gordon and Green. So when Tucker comes out in the 2nd you have Ennis coming in fresh to play defense.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Man that sounds scary good offensively. Attacking all night long!

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So in this sense, you have Ennis coming in to play PF with Gordon/Green/Harden and then Nene.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is no question the Rockets ideal set up would be constant scoring pressure for 48 minutes with staggered lineups. And beating opponents regular season bench lines like a drum.

Playoffs though are a different story as it relates to 2nd units since they shrink.

DonKnock likes this.
  17. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Ennis with CP3/Melo

Nene-Melo-Ennis-EGO-CP3

Keep Tucker with JH, Capela, Green.

MDA runs a 9 man rotation still correct?

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah 9 man rotation with Nene being the 9th guy. And Tucker seeing backup C minutes as well.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Melo 2nd unit attack sounds fine. I don't think it helps you much during the 2nd half of playoff games against GSW. Ultimately how he plays with the starters will be what matters, no matter how you slice it.

20. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

That should work then, I'm trying to see where MCW could potentially fit.