1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela's contract incentives

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

from the Forbes writeup:

Doesn't this mean that if Morey had set the incentive threshold for defensive rebound percentage at 31% instead of 30%, the Rockets could have saved $500,000 on the cap at minimal risk to Capela hitting the threshold? And if so, why did they set it at 30%? I thought part of the idea of these incentives was to mitigate the cap hit.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I didn't think the cap hit was necessarily a concern - since we were gonna be over the cap regardless... it's not like we missed out on cap space that we could have used to add to a signing or anything...
    but it does save Tilman a few bucks if Clint regresses... but o/w the incentive money would hit the payroll at the end of the year anyway...
    ...but maybe i'm misintreppting stuff... i'm no BimaThug... lol

3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Morey waited out Capela and was right on the offers he would receive so he earned some savings on Clint's deal. I like performance-based contracts and my guess is Morey does too and agents hate them but will do what they can to get around stalls. I am guessing this was the holdup in the agreement as far as tying up some of the extra money Capela wanted to performance. He has proven he has a good work ethic and attitude so he had to be shown respect in negotiations but at the same time there are critical areas where he needs to improve or maintain effort and those were incentivized. All-star Clint gets superstar money, mediocre Clint gets All-star money. Such is the NBA.

roslolian likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope Clint gets every one of those incentives, Will. If he does, it's because he's continued to grow into becoming one of the league's best centers, and that's a plus for us. Besides, it ain't my money. :cool:

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Unless teams have concerns of hitting the softcap (or hardcap, if applies), then whether the incentive is likely or not likely doesn’t really matter, as the player still has to achieve it to count against the End of Year books.

Likely incentives are like a pre-charge to a credit card, that will be removed later if not owed.

Since we are way over the cap and hardcapp doesn’t apply, it doesn’t matter that some of the incentives are pre-charged as actual salary, TBD later

J Sizzle, Deckard, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’d say Morey did damn well with what he did to start nitpicking the details

7. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

So far it looks like Capela will be 0 for 3 in hitting up to $2M in incentives this season:

1) Defensive Rebounding Rate = 25.0% so far (tied for 32nd in the league) and below the 30.0% threshold for $500K bonus.
    2) Free Throw percentage = 58.5% (career high), but below the 65% threshold for $500K bonus.
    3) Western Conference Finalists = Not likely given where we're at so far, but it's still early. $1M potential bonus.

I don't know if this helps us with the cap, since #1 and #3 were considered 'likely' and count towards our current cap situation.

I do like the contract structure, as it gives Capela fair base money, plus gives the Rockets protection if Capela doesn't continue to work on his game and improve. He won't starve on $13.8M vs. $15.8M, but hopefully the $2M of incentives will keep him hungry to improve his overall game.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats...&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

this shows hes #20 for Def Reb %. that's probably bc you were looking at a list that had players with only a few games and not actually qualifiers

9. PolarBear

I was looking at http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/defReboundRate Indeed it appears to include a number of non-qualifiers ahead of him (including Dwight Howard, Bobby Portis and Draymond Green...). In any event, he's below the threshold (as well as last year's 30%+ rate).

10. heypartner

The cap hit of "Likely Incentives" is irrelevant to teams who have salary well into Luxury Tax territory.

11. PolarBear

Irrelevant except for maybe Tillman's wallet and Capela's wallet ;-)

12. heypartner

The difference between Likely and Unlikely is irrelevant to teams in the tax.

You asked if they helped us with the cap. The difference is irrelevant to "our current cap situation", as you asked. The diff between Likely and Unlikely has nothing to do with final team salary used to calculate Tilman's tax bill.

PolarBear likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah it is. if you look at all the guys who are at 30% or above, its pretty difficult for a guy like Capela to reach that point based on how this team operates and the switching everything scheme that leaves capela on the perimeter alot. solid incentive though

14. PolarBear

Thanks - much appreciated.

15. heypartner

It's a Likely incentive because Capela achieved it (30%) last year, he was Top 6, right? So, he certainly can do it on this team. The difference is he did it on less minutes last year. Minute increases require him to achieve it longer per game.

But yeah, as you say, he is on the perimeter somewhat more than last year. I think since his minutes went up significantly, this Bonus is really about yr 2-5 of the contract, and this will be the hardest year to achieve it.

YOLO likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

this makes sense

17. PolarBear

He was at 30.8% last season (#7 in the NBA per ESPN), on 27.5 minutes per game.
    He is at 25.0% this season (#32 in the NBA per ESPN), on 33.8 minutes per game.

Deandre Jordan led the league last year, and again this year at over 37%.
    Hassan Whiteside is #2 again this year, after finishing last season at #2...both years over 36%.
    Embiid, Vucecic, and Drummond round out the top-5 this year. Drummond was #3 last year.

As you mention, I don't think Jordan, Whiteside or Drummond stray as far from the paint as Capela.

I still think hitting 65% of his free throws is even more unlikely, but we'll see. Hit FT shooting is steadily improving.

18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Looks like Capela isn’t likely to make his incentive bonuses which, as this article notes, leaves more money under the tax to use. Not sure if or how they’d use it or on who, but it’s there.

https://apple.news/ANa0lNblRQ2OdJfZRyhYf5w

joshuaao likes this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

is it just me or has he really been fighting off teammates for every defensive rebound past few games?

today, joshuaao and Plowman like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Go sign House.

JoeBarelyCares and slothy420 like this.