1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Capela is a system player and everyone knows that except for Capela and his agent. He doesn't have a back to the basket game, can't score above the circle, can't put the ball on the floor and make a play, and doesn't make great decisions with basketball when he catches it. The player that can do that is worth $100 mln. Clint is worth only $60 mln over 4 years.

Young man, don't let an agent stop you from getting $60 mln guaranteed.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A great post. The Rockets have offered him a lot more than that per Feigen's report. 5 yrs 85 M plus 5M incentives by reaching certain goals. I think Clint is worth 4 years 60 M max too, at his best.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Think Morey knows he can’t allow the QO, it’s in his interest to get a deal done, otherwise you risk taking a MASSIVE step back while also losing our best asset outside of the untouchables for literally nothing. Even if we think it’s above market value, given the stars that may hit the trade market in the next 1-2 years makes the need for a serious big-man talent under a long-term contract a necessity.

Meet in the middle, give him like 5/105 or 4/85 and let’s roll.

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Problem is Capela could wait one year make maybe double that.

The 1-9th highest paid centers make 29-24 mil a year. Capela could easily sign a 5 year 125 mil contract with a extra of development and a 7 mil increase in the salary cap.

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

There isn't a championship team out there that will give Capela 5 @ 125m. Maybe some scrub team that will never be good that is in a location that never entices FA's to move there will. But theres also a chance they wont.

4 @ 85m is fair & that contract ends at a great age for him to go on and secure another huge deal if he is worthy. It's also above his true value.

He is an excellent player worth closer to 20 mil/year, not 25 million a year. Again, some team with an awful environment/location/team outlook might overpay 25 a year for him, but waiting is a big risk because it's still not likely. It also wont be the Rockets that do it.

Either way, I love Capela, but let him take the QO, do not overpay a whole lot. Keep our offer closer to 20 m/opposed to 25m. We have centers in the farm system, Deandre Jordons contract expires next year and has publicly voiced he will sign with Houston at a discount. Going into the offseason next year Anderons contract will FINALLY be trade-able (many teams will want an expiring 20+mil contract). We will have a good opportunity to resign Capela closer to his worth at 20/m/yr or offer it to Deandre Jordon who would take it in a heartbeat, or another player. Point is we will find a way to replace Capela if he jets after next season. He will be missed. I like his game and his personality, but thats his business choice & we should stay steadfast in ours.

#805 Realjad, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

He may be worth more to us and therefore we could justify paying him more (5/$100-110m), but that might make him a net zero asset or even negative for future trades unless he outplays that contract for other teams.

The concern would be being able to move him down the line. His contract needs to continue to be an asset instead of a liability which means we should only pay him at most his general market rate and what MOST other teams would pay for him, not what he’s worth only to us or some losing team with loads of cap space.

If that’s the only way to keep him we should be looking to trade him now than signing him to a contract that makes him unmoveable later (I.e like Ryno).

basketballholic likes this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt this. A lot of these players got huge contracts due to cap spike. GMs are now getting smarter, I mean Demarcus Cousins got 0 offers as a unrestricted free agent this summer.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Use Capela next year. Next offseason Andersons contract is movable, trade him. Give Capela a fair value offer, if he turns it down then give Deandre or another decent big a fair value offer. Go on to chase the second half of our back-to-back championships.

9. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

BJ: I’m good agent.
    Clint: why?
    BJ: I got a lot of rings
    Clint: you played with Jordan.
    BJ: I’m getting you 100 million on your next contract
    Clint: ok
    Clint: where’s my 100 million?
    BJ: don’t worry. We got them right where we want them.
    Clint:...............

Don’t listen to him Clint! Take the 85-90 million!

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I can definitely see why the front office is extremely cautious with this situation, ryno's contract is prime example

Hakeemtheking and htxaf like this.
  11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yea I don't disagree with that but I recognize this may be CC's thought process.

If he was to get 5/125 it would really be 6/130 with the qualifying offer. Compared to the 5/90 and in about 6 years the Cap could be at 140 and 25% of that would be 35 mil. So 6/125. So there might not be a lot to gain.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think he's worth similar to aaron gordon. 4/80 to 4/85. i wouldn't pay more than that. teams that max no-offense centers will never beat the warriors.

if capela won't take the 4/80, and wants to sign the QO, i would offer him a 2/40 with a player option for the second year which he is sure to opt out of. so he gets his money now (motivation for him not so sign the QO) and he gets to chase max next summer. by signing a 2 year deal we are allowed to trade him this season. i'm sure we can get a decent F for him like middleton or tobias harris.

xaos likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He also risks injury or a bad year. As boogie cousins about all the money he is going to lose next season.

Crashlanded19 and Stormy1234 like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You pay them what they are worth or you lose them..... Capela can sign the one year QO and get way more money.

DD

15. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

You said this about parsons and Dmo too and if you had your way parsons would have gotten $20/yr and dmo $12-15m/yr. I think it would be ok for Capela at 4 yrs / $20 per (i consider that a slight overpay but worth the risk) but if he says no to that then you let him play with he QO offer. Cousins was expecting a $200+m contract and look what happened to him. Turning down $80mm guaranteed would mean be stupid on his part. The $85/5 was a fair offer. $25m/yr is not smart.

16. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Capela has been unable to get a single offer on the market. What’s he worth? At this point, who’s afraid to tie up their cap for three days to make him an offer? No one. So is he even worth $85/5 when he can’t get one offer?

rkh-dog and Jayzers_100 like this.
  17. valorita

valorita Member

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He ain’t getting 25 mil a year next season. There are 5 all-stars hiting free agency

D-rock and htxaf like this.
  19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Nerlins Noel mistake about to happen for Clint! Rockets offering him $20 mln makes no sense and the fact that he's turning that down doesn't make sense. We don't need another Ryan Anderson mistake. The Dubs made Clint unplayable down the stretch by fouling him or letting him catch the ball on PnR's and forcing him to make a play with ball in his hands. Not ever going to happen unless Lucas and Dream work a miracle this year. Someone mention that DeMarcus Cousins who can score, rebound, and make free throws didn't get one 1 offer. Clint ByE!!

D-rock likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]