1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les is cheap, he didn't give him 'thank you money'. you know the money the Lakers gave to Kobe when they knew he was washed up, so that he retire with the same team.

jboslett and Little Bit like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

He'd have to approve any trade.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Can't trade him without his approval if he signs the QO.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You're right if it turns out no one else is willing to pay him that... It's still hard for me to believe no one will, though. Other teams might be reluctant to give him a comparable offer, though, because they know the Rockets will match.

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

I like Clint's optimism. Have one kick ass season at 28 mpg and nab a near-max contract at a position the league is considering doing away with.

jboslett, roslolian, BigM and 3 others like this.
  6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

htxaf likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windhorst:

The biggest free agent on the market is still a Houston Rockets free agent, Clint Capela. He's restricted. He's at a stalemate with the Rockets. Frankly, everyone spent their money out there. There's nowhere for Capela to go. We have a classic restricted free agency situation where he'll threaten to take the qualifying offer and walk in a year if they can't come to an agreement. This could be a stalemate that goes into September & the start of training camp. These things can go fast. Marcus Smart was furious at the Celtics 10 days ago. Yesterday, he signed a 4-year, $52M extension with them. That's the most important thing for the Rockets: that this guy is back in the fold. They control the situation & so they're playing hard ball.

Vivi, Nook and daywalker02 like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wouldn't call offering close to 20 million a year playing hardball.

arabrocket, Bobsputin and BigM like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thing is, I wonder if the Rockets have "returned" to their original 5/90 offer to Capela yet. We know they offered him that on July 1. But that could have been a take it NOW or leave it and then the offer becomes something like 4/48 or something like that.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Marcus was Smart enough to accept deal first.

arabrocket and jevjnd like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Letting our only young asset take the QO and walk for nothing, while already being well over the cap and therefore having no means to replace him, would be incredibly dumb and a terrible look for Tilman.

jboslett and jcf like this.
  12. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Just because Capela wants the max doesn't mean the Rockets should just give it to him, the Rockets have offered him a pretty fair deal...this is all part of negotiation.

If Capela signs the QO and ends up leaving that is on him and I'm sure Deandre would be willing to come here for cheap.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea I mean I'm not saying just hand him the max. I'm just saying if they're lowballing him, which is very possible after letting Ariza walk, then it's a bad look. I don't mind the negotiation dragging along for now.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

DeAndre isn't coming here for $5 million or less and that's all we'll be able to offer him.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not sure that's a game you play with Capela. He's a key cog, and while he doesn't have any other options, neither do the Rockets.

You put the offer on the table and let him go find something better. If he can't, the hope is that he comes back to the table with a reasonable counter offer.

I have a very hard time seeing Capela walk away from $90 million. He may wish he was unrestricted and that there were more teams with cap space, but the risk to passing that up is enormous.

If there is any universal truth for bigs it's that if you get a chance to get paid a lot now or more later, you take the deal now.

16. txn

txn Member

Do you guys think there is big difference between Caplela and Noel? They kinda same type of player to me. Harden and CP3 can easily develop his stats into Clint’s. I kinda curious why DM didn’t just sign Noel for Minimum back then. We would have much leverage in the Clint’s contract. We could either sign him cheaper or trade him for a decent player during the season. Now we probably can’t afford to lose him if we want to run it back.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Whose head will fall when Noel can't be Capela and fails? Who will be responsible?

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

People really believe he is willing to come here for cheap lol. Ridiculous.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

not even close

roslolian likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

He backed out of this signing so...I mean sure maybe having cuthroat agents are bad but its worse to have a guy flaking out after he already agreed to a deal. This would be the 2nd time it has happened to Cubes lol