1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: To extend or not extend, that is the question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Would you extend Capela and for how much?

1. No. Keep him on a low cap hold and match an offer or negotiate next summer

45.3%
  2. Yes. Extend him at a salary starting around $25 million and hopefully we save a few bucks next summe

1.2%
  3. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to a $20 million first year salary or less

8.1%
  4. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to a $15 million first year salary or less

33.7%
  5. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to $12.5 million first year salary or less

11.6%
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

kjayp and Killatron 2000 like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why the hell would we extend him at the max? He won't even ask for it because he's nowhere near a max player. Here, Clint, have some extra money that your agent didn't request.

"I don't like Capela, so I'll set up a strawman argument to turn people against him."

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

To answer your question, no, i agree with you here. That's why while i like Capela, if he's the wall we need to take down to get the third star (assuming we get at least one this summer), i would be ok with it.

Just one thing though, are we sure that, let's say we swap Anderson with Millsap at 25x this summer and sign Nene with a big one year deal to have a solid expiring next summer...are we sure that in this scenario we wouldn't be able to open up enough cap space next summer even with Capela cap holds being closer to 7M? What are the projections on the cap for next year? If there're any at this point.

4. basketballholic

Let's say that's possible.

Best case scenario Harden, LeBron, Capela, Millsap.

Does that get it done after wasting this upcoming season?

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm willing to extend him at ~$13 million (which inflation-adjusted is really just a moderately above MLE $7-mil type deal from just ten years ago).

Above that, I'm not saying let him go, but he'll be restricted. Let the market set his value. I expect $16-17M to be his eventual value. If it goes above that, he's replaceable. If it goes to that exactly, then fine, match it.

Clint is not a max player. If someone thinks he is, then let them have fun with that.

kjayp likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter who comes in, we keep CC....long term.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It really depends on what we do in free agency. You can't extend him before pursuing these other max free agents and whether or not it's worth it to pay him depends on how good we are expected to be with him.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, good question...not sure.

9. basketballholic

Well there's no question we're gonna pursue these other free agents. So that not really an issue.

But what if we don't get those free agents? Do we try you extend him?

Or let's say we get one max guy, do we try to extend him?

What if we get two guys, one guy in a long term deal and one guy (George) on an expiring. Then what? Try to extend Capela or not?

Look, if Capela were in this free agent class what would you expect offers to be? Look at Noel, he's a RFA. Is Noel going to get a max? So what's CC's market if he were a RFA today?

Where's all the guys that have been proclaiming that Capela is a superstar in the making. I knew you're out there because you message me all the time. You mean you wouldn't extend him at a discount from max? Come on guys. State your case. What should we do here?

#29 basketballholic, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know. I don't what they're going to do. For all I know, they include Capela in a trade for a superstar. Until the dust settles, I cannot answer this question. But I will say he is an extremely valuable player to this team as currently constructed. I doubt Morey will extend though. He never extends non-superstars. He'll wait until restricted free agency and see what he has to match.

11. basketballholic

But he does extend superstars, right?

Waiting for all the Capela guys to show up here. You guys that say Capela is a budding superstar or even a star. Don't you think we should extend if we can? What if he would take 5/100? That would be a first year salary of around $17.4 million. Wouldn't you do that if you think he's already good and going to be really good going forward?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd love to get him at 14 mill per or under, but that being said I don't think it's realistic. If trash guys like Mozgof/Noah/Mahinmi at 30 are getting get 16-18 per.

I'd extend him at a front loaded 4 year 65 mill deal after we spend all of our FA cash, if he takes it.

At that price he'd likely be a positive trade asset, if we wish to move him down the road. I'd also be fine with a 3 year front loaded 55 mill deal.

The incentive for extending this offseason is that we would get a trade piece at this deadline if we were to send out all of of medium contracts for cap space or in a trade for PG. We also might be able to get a better deal then him now rather then next summer after he's had another good season with Harden.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we get a list of people that said Clint Capela is a "budding superstar"?

We will all be waiting.

dmoneybangbang, topfive and YOLO like this.
  14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Nope.

You keep his low cap hold for 2018 unless he's willing to sign for a significant discount.

The goal for this summer should be thus....

Trade for George
    Sign CP3

Then hope Capela becomes a 4th star.

If George walks in 2018, then go after LeBron.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

think they're confusing CC with the Dmo fan club

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I voted no but the interesting factor this summer for this situation will be nerlens nOEL...

What does he get??

saleem likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

some dumb team will give him max or close to it. *coughs* dallas

BHannes2BHonest and saleem like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hehe, you made me laugh!

19. koby1868

koby1868 Member

I would hope that they would consider extending Capela. This kid continues to improve year after year and he's getting bigger. The perfect compliment to Harden in the PnR. FT% is much improved and he's not bad defensively. Not much on the market for young big men. He has to much potential to trade or chose not to extend. Invest in the future.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member