1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Should be an All Star this Season. (With Highlights from Pelicans Game)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 12, 2017.

?

Will Capela Make the 2017/18 All Star Game?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, Clint needs to develop some reliable big-man moves other than dunks, like Deandre has. All those dreamshakes, baby hooks, jump hooks, that sweet little 15-18 foot jumper, etc. All those non-dunk moves Deandre is known for.

Wait... what? :confused:o_O

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

well they let DJ make the All star team so CC has every nod to make one himself bc he impact the games just as much and probably even more bc you can play him in the 4th quarter

3. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

That's great to see, but defensive rating is a bit flawed. Tangible stats like steals/blocks/dReb are weighed into it and that never really tells the full story. Eye test alone, I don't think Capela is probably even a top 10 defensive big man, though he's improving on that end. I'd love for him to get recognition and if DJ got in one year, then Capela is just as deserving, but the competition he has this year makes it really difficult for it to happen.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

please list 10 clear cut better defensive big men in the league. im curious

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Draymond
    Gobert
    Dedmon
    M. Gasol
    Adams
    Embiid
    Drummond
    Horford
    Baynes
    P. Gasol
    Nurkic

off the top of my head

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh ok. honestly half that list is laughable but i guess your opinion is what it is.

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

who do you disagree with?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

plenty. half of those guys impact defensively are not clear cut better than capela. so many of those guys are huge liabilities in pick and rolls and are definitely not considered defensive anchors. if they were actually clear cut better, they would be locking down the middle on a nightly basis without question. thats not happening last i checked. Teams signing nurkic and pau gasol to be their top 10 defensive C. not really.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

DJ is Capela, but stronger. That's why I mentioned that Capela doesn't even throw it down with authority on the regular, so I'll put DJ over Capela in terms of all star games. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have DJ in the all star game either. He doesn't impact the game defensively like Dwight did early in his career with Orlando, either. I use Dwight as another comparison because he too has zero post moves and can only dunk the ball.

Boogie Cousins is a much much better individual player. Is Anthony Davis considered a center? You don't vote for a center anymore anyways, right? It's just forwards? If that's the case, Capela definitely isn't an all star (yet).

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

There's no coincidence that Portland became a top defensive team after they added Nurkic, it happened last year after they got him, and it's been the same way this year. Just look what happens when he sits, you can look at nearly every statistic you want and it'll show Nurkic is a pretty damn good defensive big. As for P. Gasol, he may be bad in the pick and roll but his interior defense is really good. He goes straight up without "fouling," or at least the refs don't give him the whistle. Do you really think pop would start pau if he wasn't a top 10 defensive C? Lol all the advanced numbers point to Pau being an elite defender, and he doesn't even have tangible stats that would boost it, which means he forces a lot of misses, and basically proves him being a defensive anchor. Btw, that's only two, not half. Everyone else on that list is definitely a defensive anchor, except maybe Baynes, but his impact has been pretty obvious for the Celtics, though I wouldn't necessarily call him elite. But almost everyone else in that list is a big on a top defensive team, or they're obviously better defenders, like Embiid.

You can also make good cases for Turner, Dwight, Millsap, Udoh (limited minutes though so you can possibly take him out unless we're strictly speaking defense...), and Whiteside. Their body of work have been all better than Clint's (advanced #s and eye test), whose numbers only just became good this year. But you take out the additions of CP3, Tucker, and Luc - was Clint ever known for his defensive prowess prior to that? Nope, we weren't a good defensive team because Clint wasn't "locking down the middle on a nightly basis." He's benefitted and played great this year but you have to be extremely biased if (on the opposite spectrum) you think he's a clear cut better defender than the other guys I listed. In a vacuum, you have even less of an argument to make, but "I guess your opinion is what it is." We can agree to disagree.

#50 tmactoyao, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No, but he needs to at least throw every dunk down with authority like Deandre does. That's exciting. And if it's your only move, you better make it exciting. But if it were up to me, neither would be all stars.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The guy that just got dunked on a dozen times in one game in Capela's highlight reel?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes.

Do I need to post videos of every single hall of fame player getting dunked on to show that it means nothing?

Capela is not an elite defender, he's average on offense. How can he be considered an all star? Meanwhile, Cousins is considered pretty damn good on offense, and an okay defender. In terms of all star labels, Cousins > Capela.

And not a single one of those dunks had anything to do with Capela, other than him using his legs to jump. They're the product of Harden forcing defenders to choose between two bad options (help off to stop James and give up an easy layup, or backup to stop the ally and let James score).

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes you do.

Every single one.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ha.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Our traditional center rotation of Capela/Nene/Black is averaging a combined:

41.6 MPG
    21.5 PPG
    15.2 RPG
    2.2 APG
    2.4 BPG
    65.6 FG%
    65.2 FT%

Even if Capela doesn't end up averaging enough minutes to make the team, it's nice to know that we're getting All-Star level production from our bigs.

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Only averaging a casual 19.5 pts, 15.7 reb, 2.6 blocks per 36 minutes on 67.7% FG on a team where he's the 3rd most valuable player.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I actually think Capela is better than Gobert.

That guy is a little overrated imo. He's a good shot blocker but offensively he's pretty bad and his rebounding is no better than clints.

He's creeping up on Jordan he's much better offensively and his rebounding is pretty much the same when u factor in the minutes per game difference. Jordan still has the edge on D but he's always been a little overrated in that department he's actually poor as a post defender. But he is huge Huge with crazy length and athletism.

Whiteside is like a mix of everything he's pretty good on offense get blocks and rebounds but his teams seem to play better when he's not on the court so between him and Clint it's a toss up. But he's got the most talent of the 4 imo.

D-rock likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So I'm a huge Houston Rockets homer and.... no. No way he gets past Boogie as everyone's center they have in mind to fill the positionless all-star game format.

Let's talk EGo instead!

Per 36 stats for allstar recognition????? No... never. Please no one ever use this for allstar voting. Capela is averaging 36 mpg in per 36 minutes! But what about in real life? Allstar games should be real life stats, not pretend life.

Capela is averaging 13.7 ppg, 11 rpg, 1.8 blks on 68% shooting in *REAL LIFE*. Just to be clear for clutch-skimmers.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Capelin is a great young player but nowhere near all star quality and you could argue pretty convingly that his gaudy offensive stats are directly related to having two great playmakers around him getting him easy buckets. Guys like Boogie and Gasoline carry a team and are far more deserving of a spot. Clint is just a really good role player but he isn’t going to kill teams if he isn’t playing with James and Chris.