1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Should be an All Star this Season. (With Highlights from Pelicans Game)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 12, 2017.

?

Will Capela Make the 2017/18 All Star Game?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theimpossibles1

He has improved dramatically every year.

At the end of last season, and even more so to start this season, he has developed serious attitude/swag. He throws down his dunks with authority and shows a lot more positive emotions with yelling and pounding his chest etc.

Scoring: he is better than anyone in the league in getting up high and positioning himself to finish alley-oops. He has great chemistry with Harden and is rapidly developing chemistry with Paul. We can all expect his scoring to rise over the rest of the season.

He is near the league lead in rebounding.

When he gets the ball under the basket he is doing a great job of either going up fast, or pump faking and going up with strong hands to finish the dunk or get fouled.

His FT% is steadily improving.

Crucially, his defensive presence at the rim has become HUGE. What makes him so special in this respect is he is quick enough to stay with point guards when playing help defense but also strong, tall, and athletic enough to affect big centers.

In tonight's game against New Orleans he went up STRONG and got 4 blocks on Boogie Cousins (5 total), 3 of them in crucial late game situations. You could see it was demoralizing to Demarcus.

Clint has INCREDIBLE speed, agility, and vertical jump for his size. He is wiry strong, and bulking up at a good pace.

He has legitimate handles.

He has a great soft touch around the rim.

The Western Conference is somewhat stacked at center right now, but I could see Clint getting the 3rd spot ahead of Marc Gasol. Clint plays for a much better team, is younger with more upside, and has a far more exciting play style.

I think he deserves it this year but even if not, many many ASGs could be in his future.

#1 theimpossibles1, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    IvanLCPM, hakeem94, And1redux and 2 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Capela is currently at 25.2 mpg

Here's the list of players in the history of the NBA who were selected to the All-Star game on less than 26 mpg...per Basketball-reference.

PlayerAgeTmLgMPSeasonG
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar41LALNBA22.91988-8974
    Bobby Jones29PHINBA25.31980-8181
    Johnny Green31NYKNBA22.11964-6578
    Tom Heinsohn30BOSNBA25.51964-6567
    Bill Gabor30SYRNBA19.41952-5369
    Kareem at age 41 with the highly questionable selection.

I threw out Yao Ming's 5 game year, Jordan's broken leg year in the 3rd game of season, and Alonzo Mornings comeback sympathy vote on 13 games.

#2 heypartner, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    don grahamleone and ilovehtownbb like this.
  3. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Cousins, KAT, Jokic (providing he doesn't miss an extreme amount of games than he has so far) would all make it before Clint. Gasol obviously the better player but I think Clint is having a slightly better year, mainly because Gasol has shot so poorly from the field.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely made a leap this year, but I think he needs to go up one more notch defensively to truly be an all-star.

I really want more of these free throws to start dropping again too. 70%!!! Come on Clint!

5. theimpossibles1

Clint's numbers are very similar to Jokic and Capela's scoring will probably be on the rise. If the numbers are the same you have to give the nod to Clint (better team, more exciting to watch).

Also I would not say Marc is "obviously the better player." He may beat Clint playing 1 on 1, but in the modern style of the NBA, Clint has more value. The old ground n pound type is losing effectiveness. Plus Marc's attitude pushed out a very popular coach in Fisdale whereas Capela is a quintessential 'coachable' type.

BigShasta, D-rock and tmactoyao like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He might get there some day.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Jokic has better offensive numbers, his case is mainly just that he's missed games. And I don't know if you watch Jokic or maybe if I'm just a big fan but I would disagree that Clint is more exciting to watch. Sure, his dunks are exciting, but that's more a product of elite PG play, whereas I would tune in to Nuggets game just to see Jokic (their offense basically revolves around him).

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They should throw an ASG event with him teabaggin and dunking on bigs like Cousins.

9. theimpossibles1

Fair point. Jokic has a better all around skill-set but Clint has those explosive hype plays. I was at the game tonight and his plays clearly charged up the crowd in a major way.

D-rock, RudyTBag and tmactoyao like this.
  10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Yeah, he plays above the rim, and Jokic... doesn't really haha. I do agree with @knote32 that if Capela upped his level defensively with his current offensive production, he'd be a shoe-in this year.

Nook and theimpossibles1 like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

All Capela has to do is maintain current level of play and he's in. Boogie, Clint, KAT - in that order.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Clint isn't close to being an all star, sorry.

There is no longer a center slot, IF there was he MIGHT have a slight chance, but no longer. It's just a "front court" as in SF/PF/C slot, just way too many talented forwards.

Lebron, Durant, Leonard, Porzingis, AD, George, Giannis, Cousins, Embiid, Jokic, Towns, Aldridge will in all likelinessbe this years 12 front court players. The 2 wild cards will in all likeliness be guards this year as well.

THAT BEING SAID

Clint is only 1.3 points, and .2 blocks away from averaging 15, 11 and 2 on 65+% from the field. That's absolutely fantastic production considering he's averaging 25 minutes a game. Capela has put his name amongst Gobert, Jordan and Whiteside this season as an elite rebounding, finishing and shot blocking big man.

13. theimpossibles1

I overlooked the 'no center spot' issue. That's a shame.

[​IMG]

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

15. theimpossibles1

Capela leading the league in:

FG %
    2pt FG %
    True Shooting %
    Effective FG %
    Defensive Rating @knote32 @tmactoyao

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Remember that center isn't an all star position anymore, it's just front court.

And outside the starters it's split between the conferences and there's a fair few token centers to come first, especially when it comes to enfranchising teams by giving them 1 all star.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn, did he really shoot 113 of 14?

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

The Rockets could almost be their own all star team to send

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Too much competition in the West. He won't be going unless a whole bunch of big men get injured.

20. rockets13champs

Chris Paul effect
    But honestly we may have 2 superstars but we got 4 dudes who can play at an allstar level. Which gives us a chance vs warriors

theimpossibles1 likes this.