1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can't believe I'm admitting this, but.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pole, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I actually agree with Trump on this. I've always thought that birthright citizenship is the root cause of any immigration issues we have. I'd be fine with creating an easier path to citizenship for those born within our borders, but unilaterally granting citizenship to any person born here (other than to those born to citizen mothers) seems a bit crazy. Other than the US and Canada, there aren't a lot enviable countries allowing this. And Canada only borders the US. I know this won't change (and if it would, I'd be amazed), but to me.....this could go a long way towards fixing the issues we have. And it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and more effective than some vanity wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/politics/trump-birthright-citizenship-14th-amendment/index.html

Astrodome likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you agree that he should use executive action to change the Constitution?

HP3, Nook, CometsWin and 3 others like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tell me more. Make me a believer.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're a country of immigrants. We've dealt with language difficulties. Before `that guy` there was `that weird Italian guy`.

But let's change the rules when the browns invade come.

HP3 likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A good question to pose to our local 2nd amendment protectors.

HP3 and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Immigration is so far down on the list of issues this country needs to deal with you need a telescope to see it.

HP3, ryan_98 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Pole

Nope......I just believe giving automatic citizenship to those born to parents here illegally is about as dumb as.......well, how the second amendment (as written) applies to modern day.

8. Pole

You can say that.....you can even believe it—but you probably shouldn’t wish your favorite candidate to campaign on such an opinion. I don’t think you’ll like the outcome.

Nook likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Nativism is a strong, emotionally driven platform that doesn't need real and tangible results. ...Ofc, I'd be terrified if results became mandatory.

What has to be driven through inoculation and expectations mgnt is the fact that nativist fears has been present and chronic since the founding of our nation, and people actually did alright through different generations.

Then can we discuss issues with binoculars...

Nook and HP3 like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who is a citizen because of the 14th Amendment whose parents weren't permanent residents when I was born let's just say I have a different opinion.

Also for those who don't know it was a Chinese American who got the USSC to definitively rule that birthright citizenship was an actual right. This was at at a time of the Exclusion acts and when Chinese in the US were denied basic rights such as being able to testify in the criminal justice system.

MadMax, Nook, HP3 and 5 others like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes let's see if they deny it to the children of the Irish, of which there are at least 50,000 here illegally, and see what happens.

HP3 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The only immigration problem that we have is Trump supporters shooting them and being cruel to them. This country needs immigration or the population decline will seriously hurt our economy.

HP3 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Shipping in the worlds poorest certainly fixes that problem, eh.

15. Invisible Fan

I believe the correct term is "potato head", good sir.

Rashmon likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Plenty of well-off immigrants come here also-- in fact, I am presently typing a neighborhood full of well-off Chinese and Korean immigrants.

As for the people who came here without money: First, they still contribute much needed economic activity, as workers, consumers and entrepreneurs. It is far better to have non-wealthy people, even people who need some economic support, than to have no people. See here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/nyregion/refugees-upstate-ny-employment.html Second, you talk as if these people always stay poor. Many people who come here without money, and the children of such people, end up doing well for themselves.

#16 Carl Herrera, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Nook, HP3 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The colonists weren't exactly the world's best...neither were all of the immigrants that came through Ellis Island...

HP3, FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're moving the goal post, as usual.

The discussion is illegal immigrants. How many well off immigrants are living and working here illegally?

Sure, there are those who believe we shouldn't bring in educated minorities, however I have zero interest in debating this topic with bigots.

We do agree that we should bring in a sub class to do the work entitled Americans refuse to do. However they do not need to be illegal.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trump is a doofus and a bigot but I agree this is a problem. Having people sneak in illegally to have children in border hospitals on our dime or even people flying in legally to have children so they can have an American passport is an abuse. I think auto citizenship to a child born in the US with one American parent and a naturalization track for children of foreign parents that meet particular employment and educational criteria.

American passports and citizenship are valuable commodities, it's time to stop giving them away to the children of parents that are knowingly abusing or breaking the law. It's a huge incentive to illegal immigrants. Fix the work requirements and deny birthright citizenship and illegal immigration will cease to be an issue.

Having said all that, it's yet another thing that'll never happen because our government is set up to prevent significant change and progress far too often.

#20 CometsWin, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    No Worries likes this.