1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Canelo vs GGG

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HtownTrill, Aug 8, 2017.

1. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

who you got ?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

This is a tough one to call. Both fighters are appealing. Both seemingly have gone about their business the right way. Canelo was easily handled by Mayweather and Triple G has never been in any real danger. This is a fight I can just sit back and be a fan and hope that it's a great fight and neither fighter is thinking about holding something back for the rematch.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I think that who ever was suckered into paying for the Canelo-Chavez fight should be fully reimbursed or allowed to have the payment cover this fight as well, since all it was was a big promotional set up for this fight.

Too close to call but I think Canelo edges.

Yung-T and K mf G like this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Canelo by knockout.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

GGG is gonna knock canelo out by round 9.

Canelo gets hit just not by guys bigger and stronger than him. GGG the bigger guy with the "ohh my god power" as Pauli mallanaggi has explained the last 10 days lol

7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

8. cebu

cebu Member

Canelo is a power puncher and G3 does not move his head a lot. He'll go down.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Get out of here with that power punching bs.

Canelo has power when he's fighting guys he's much bigger than. He knocks out small 147-154 fighters.

He was teeing off on cotto and couldn't put him down and cotto is Small.

GGG is gonna knock canelo block off and if canelo does somehow win it won't be by KO I can gaurentee that.

GGG been KO guys who are atleast true middle weights canelo been fighting puffed up welterweights at 155 for basically every fight since the mayweather fighter were he got taken to school.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Problem is GGG has been facing much worse opponents than Canelo, he looked troubled vs more technical competition and Canelo will be by far the most skilled opponent he's ever fought.

Feel like Canelo has a slight advantage, but it should be a pretty even bout.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Canelo has the better resume by far, with that said any slick counter punching boxer he's had problems with.

Obviously Floyd took him to school but Lara beat him even though the scores didn't reflect it and trout and even khan gave him problems.

The best he's looked imo was against Cotto. That was the first top level boxer he clearly beat and looked good against.

re watch his fight against Liam smith. That guy is a small 154lb fighter and honestly one of the worst champs at 154 over the last 10 years.

He hit canelo with so many body shots and flush uppercuts, if ggg hits canelo With those same shots he's going to wear down quick.

Canelo only hope imo is to move a lot like Jacobs did but that's foreign to him. He likes to go to the ropes and try and counter punch. That is not gonna work against GGG.

GGG is just a bigger man and hits harder than anyone canelo has faced.

Fact is ggg looked better against Jacobs than canelo did against Lara and that's pretty close comparison.

In ready to see this fight, it's the best one in years but I don't expect it to last past 8 rounds. Canelo won't be able to take the body shots they will wear him down after the 6th.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GGG always impressed me with his vicious power. Should be a fun fight regardless. I'm still not paying for it though

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Is this still being hyped up as the next "BIG" fight?

I know some fights lose their allure based on previous matchups or W/Ls... I haven't kept up with either lately so that's why I'm asking.

**Note** I don't consider that Mayweather McGregor sideshow a BIG fight, that was more of a sideshow.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Interesting fight to be sure. GGG has crazy power but he gets hit while he walks opponents down to unleash that power. Canelo while not having the same power still packs a punch and appears to have better boxing skills.

Key for me, if Canelo has good head movement, can pivot & counter (to body), while remaining patient, he will win by decision. If he doesn't GGG probably wins by stoppage.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

the pressure is on ggg to win by stoppage. there's too much money not to give the decision to canelo if the fight goes the distance. it potentially sets up money v canelo ii.

16. cebu

cebu Member

LET'S GET READY TO RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUMMMMMMMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I am not a boxing savant by any means.

Someone tell me why someone is going to end up winning?

GGG seems overrated to me(general sports fan).

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

honestly no one can tell you or at least guarantee you a winner which is why this fight is so intriguing. compared to the era of mayweather (boring, defensive tactician) both of these guys have more action and exciting fights. i for one am glad the mayweather era is over. he is one of the goat but fack it was boring. i'm ready for a new era.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

nothing overrated about his punching power or his iron chin. this is a true 50/50 fight. GGG is the slight betting favorite.

20. what

what Member

imma say canelo