1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by astros99, Feb 7, 2014.

1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Going to Cancun in March and looking for all inclusive resort recommendations. Looking for something with a party/adult atmosphere. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Not sure why you can't Google this yourself but I stayed at the Sun Hotel. Very nice and accommodating.

For entertainment, Coco Bongo is an exhilarating experience. Party safe!

3. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

He didn't google it himself because he wanted your input and suggestions.

4. astros99

I've done some googling and have a few places in mind but want to see other people on CFs personal experiences and opinions before I make a decision.

Sun Palace looks like it has a pretty nice view. How was the food and amenities? Is it mainly for couples? I am going with a few buddies so don't want anything that is especially for couples

5. dragician

dragician Member

since you prefer mexico, don't forget to visit the cartel...

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

when I went I stayed at ME Cancun. It was pretty badass. Has several different restaurants you could choose from to eat at for lunch and dinner. you could also rent a cabana on the beach using some of the free upgrades. Also got a room upgrade to a awesome view of the ocean. They will also arrange your transportation to and from the airport if you call them ahead.

All alcohol comes with the package but it's mainly house margaritas and Tecate beer anything else (Budweiser etc) is gonna cost a little extra. They have a nice pool too with a swim up bar. Didn't really see many families when we went seemed like more of a adult / couples place to stay.

Also they have a badass all you can eat breakfast every morning with about every possible thing you can think of. they'll make you fresh omelettes with whatever you want in them, they have French toast eggs bacon sausage fresh squeezed orange juice you can get fresh smoothies tons of fresh fruit.

Def check it out online. I booked through expedia and did non stop flights to and from Cancun and resort together for 5 days and 4 nights for about 2,100.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm not sure about resorts, but make sure you go to Coco Bongo. That place is bonkers.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

+1 on Coco Bongo.

I stayed at Fiesta Americana Coral Beach.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

coco bongo...wear shoes you don't mind ruining......RIP Jordan XI's :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Ah yes, Coco Bongo. That was one insane spring break. We stayed at the Oasis... it was definitely a college crowd if that's what you're looking for. That's where they used to film the MTV Spring Breaks lol (does that still exist?)

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

We did Moon Palace about 9 years ago and had a great time, though it was at a time (march) when the seaweed was abundant so the beaches were not as nice as other times and places I have been. Seem to recall it was a little lower key than whatever is going on in those Congo Bongo pics.

12. astros99

Anyone ever stay at Riu? I'm leaning towards Riu palace peninsula as its all inclusive n seems pretty good. Also what did you guys do for phone service and internet? I read the lobby internet is slow so I'm thinking about taking a usb modem as I need to get online at least once a day for business.

Definitely plan on hitting up Coco Bongo and senor frogs. Any other club recommendations? Reading alot of reviews about Coco Bongo and some people say get VIP and some people say its a waste? What does VIP there consist of and how much is it?

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

#13 sammy, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I usually stay at the Ritz Carlton next door. I saw that place being built. Looked nice but I haven't been inside.

I usually don't like the all inclusives since I like to venture off and go to other dinner restaurants. Cancun has a lot of great restaurants and I don't like staying at my hotel for all meals.

how was the wine selection there? I thought that was the theme they were going for

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It was my first all-inclusive experience and I was pleasantly surprised with the food.

Most of the food we had was pretty solid besides the Mediterranean restaurant. Like a lot of Mexican resorts, the service was very good.

Drinks wise..I really wasn't feeling their house wines, but it appeared that they had a large selection of wine if you wanted to purchase bottles/glasses. They did have wine tasting events at a cost. Miami for 3 nights prior had raped me so I stuck to Corona light and margaritas (1800 silver) for most of the time. All in all, I would recommend the resort. There was a mix of young to old people there. There was plenty of restaurants to eat at and the rooms were very nice.

I may go back to Cancun this year, but leaning towards DR or Jamaica. South Beach will be a nice appetizer next week.

#15 sammy, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bump

Ok leaving at 6PM with United to Cancun this evening with the SO.

Any new suggestions / ideas besides coco bongo?

Thanks.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Buy yourself a grill.

[​IMG]

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I always stay in Playa Del Carmen......The Royal is very nice and close to 5th street.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

HEAD SOUTH!!!, away from Cancun, so many cool places. If you have time try and visit these places, Play Del Carmen (visit 5th ave.), Puerto Morelos (quite fishing village), Xel-Ha (eco-park), Xcaret(eco and entertainment park, stay for Mexico history show), Tulum (amazing beach & ruins), etc... South is where it's at.

20. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I stayed at Riu in Playa del Carmen. The resort was great and there is a ton of stuff to do in the surrounding area. Food was pretty good, not incredible but most of it was pretty good. The only complaint I had were the "sand whales" all over the beach in the surf. I don't know if they are everywhere but they are a pretty big eyesore in the water.

[​IMG]