1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can we stop giving Ariza the credit for the defense now ??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Nov 15, 2018.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

jesus christ im so tired of the pundits mentioning everytime the rockets are on TV that they cant defend anymore because they miss trevor ariza. he is a solid role player, nothing more. no all nba defender, just someone willing to accept a role.

this team has played absolutely stifling defense on three good offenses in a row. how did we do it without trevor artest bowen pippen ?

seeingred, Deuce, Fyreball and 33 others like this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Uh, Trevor was a lockdown defender capable of guarding 3 positions.

We played great team D tonight and our wings played well but he is missed.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No. Ariza is a decent, but declining defensive player, very smart, studies the game and the scouting reports, and has a positive team impact on defense.

Luckily Tucker has become our alpha dog and Clark is a revelation. Ennis is raw but mold-able.

I don't get this polarized world where every scrub has to be a secret superstar and every role player has to be reviled garbage.

Rokman, Red Chocolate, JW86 and 3 others like this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

We allow a whooping 95 ppg over the past 7 games. We can't do it without you Ariza.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright guys, who cares what the media says. The fact that we can still play high level defense is no reason to diminish what he was for our team. Why cant we just respect our former players.

sirbaihu, D-rock, RocketWalta and 5 others like this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Clark is not a revelation. I said that guy is going to be good from preseason.

D-rock and aroundtheblock2 like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Whew. I stand corrected.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Ariza gets paid 15 mill to do the same thing he did here.

Get scored on by every player he guards. Attempt 12 threes a night.

This guy is trash and I’m so glad he’s not here.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tonight Paul was a defensive force .

Harden has quietly become an above average defensive player in ALL facets . He is less quietly a VERY good post defender .

James has really stepped it up defensively during this recent stretch

SamFisher, cbs1507, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

You're absolutely right. It WASN'T Ariza that was the key to our defense last year.

It was this guy.
    [​IMG]

cbs1507 likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ariza would still be great for this team still. His decline in lateral quickness is pretty apparent even last season where quicker guards just blow right past him.

However, his hustle and defensive IQ was still there, so he never makes mistakes on switches and help defense. He was also great at guard bigger wings like Durant.

His impact overall was overblown imo, he didn't make the system, Bzdelik did. Also I thought Luc played better defense in general than Ariza anyway all of last year

D-rock, cbs1507 and JayGoogle like this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lmao @ lockdown. if he was lock down he would have at least the all defensive second team once in his career, which he hasnt. he is nowhere near the level of guys that make offensive players really think before they make a move and play in a cautious manner. im not making this thread to bash ariza, im just saying its time to stop overrating his impact on the defensive end. you guys claimed "we have no one to guard kevin durant now." well guess what we still put the clamps on GS and made them play OUR GAME. its about the team defensive scheme, not one damn player. this defense can CLEARLY still be elite without him.

BTW, the suns are ranked dead last in defensive efficiency with "lockdown" D by trevor ariza

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bzdelik is a good coach, but give D'Antoni and the current staff credit. They turned this defense around with out coach B. After that meeting where he decided not to eliminate the switching and eventually just benched Melo the defense has been good and getting better.

Stormy1234, Deuce, Fyreball and 9 others like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Um, you are very likely the only person who has every used the phrase "lockdown defender" in a sentence containing Trevor Ariza's name.

Don't get me wrong, he's a quality defender. Lockdown? Nah.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He'd still be great to have at a low price. Hopefully he gets bought out and can be someone that comes off the bench. It'd be better than giving Gerald Green minutes.

Gerald Green is just our mascot. We need him for the Htown pride.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I love Trevor Ariza. He was often underappreciated on this board. He did lots of things that helped us win but didn't show up in stats. There's a reason D'Antoni played him huge minutes as often as possible.

But the idea that losing him (and Luc, whom I also love) is what ruined our defense this season is a lazy media spin. Two guys leave, the talking heads don't know jack about Ennis or Gary Clark, they know Melo doesn't like defense, and that's enough to create an initial story, which then spreads because each guy wearing makeup has heard it from another guy wearing makeup.

Our defense declined because we were integrating new players in a complex switching defense, but mostly because we lost our focus. Anyone watching the games closely could see that even some of our ostensibly best defenders weren't locked in or were making mistakes.

Now we're focusing. I doubt we'll keep it up consistently for the rest of the regular season. But we can do it in the playoffs.

Sajan, D-rock, Deuce and 12 others like this.
  17. noppeper

noppeper Member

This is some of the best defense I've seen from Harden as a Rocket and he just looks really strong out there on that end. It's almost as if he worked on that aspect of his game this off-season. Hope he keeps it up.

With that said, its been what, an eight of the season? I really like what I'm seeing from Enis and our rookies, but I'd rather wait until the WCF or something before I start to proclaim that they were suitable replacements to the players, including Ariza, we had last year.

As it stands, this makes me cautiously optimistic for the Rockets this season, which is more than I expected with the way things were a couple of weeks ago.

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

U forgot about Lucamamutee.. hold on Richard Luamute.. camute or however every analyst butches his name when they say his name.

Luc and Ariza were good fit here for defense specially Luc before getting hurt he was very good with us. I wish we had at least kept Luc but we were trying to save it for Melo which now we know it didn’t work out.

We do need like 2 or 1 more 3&and guy and one backup center. But we will be fine now that MCW has been bench and everyone seems to be on the same page in defense and offense.
    We might get Trevor back though I doubt we can get Luc back. So we need one more guy like them.

BaselineFade and napalm06 like this.
  19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Media likes to think we lost big by losing Ariza, but they don't mention much that CP3 is on the All-Defensive Team year-after year. Ariza is a good defender because of his body length similar to Pippen. If he is totally committed to defense, he would of been on the book like CP3 on being All-Defensive Team year-after year. Good defender he is, but he isn't the whole team like the media wants us to believe when we lost him and Moute. 3-11 is what is representing Ariza. And congrats to the Suns for beating the Spurs without Freeza.

Tfor3 likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

For sure . But what excites me now is the potential for improvement .

Clark and hartenstein are ROOKIES . We should expect ups and downs from them ... but if I had to bet , they will be better at the end of the season than they are now .

Ennis , I'm fairly sold on . He was recommended by PJ, that alone lets me know he's a ****ing dog .

We've got 8 ... and the rookies won't always play as well as they did tonight . They will have their fair share of dumb mistakes and foul trouble ... BUT , harden and Clint were fairly subdued tonight offensively . They will be better too.

I'm just excited about the team now . We've got to keep this chemistry going , and eventually find some rest for James and Chris and frankly all the guys as we move towards the playoffs .... but that's a long ways away .

Just keep winning and things will fall into place .

Edit ...

The pieces might already be on our team . If we keep rolling we have the luxury of time . Brandon knight could be the perfect 4th guard to help James Chris and Eric rest . I feel confident giving minutes to Gerald green if PJ , Ennis , or Clark need a night off as well .

BaselineFade, Red Chocolate and Tfor3 like this.