1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we all agree on a few things moving forward in this series

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 14, 2019.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

1. Pressly should NOT be used in any high leverage situations. I don't give a **** what the circumstances are but in no way should he be pitching past the 7th inning in a close game.

The first guys out of the bullpen should ONLY be:
    Harris
    Smith
    Osuna
    James

2. Move Alvarez down and move Correa up the batting lineup. Correa is an very emotional driven player and I think its best to ride his bat while its hot. Bregman has no protection with Alvarez behind him and they clearly pitched around him throughout the game. Bregman had ONE pitch to hit after the 7th inning. Thats just NOT acceptable.

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Correa
    Brantley
    Alvarez
    Yuli
    Reddick
    Chirinos

3. None of our TOR pitchers should be pitching on short rest unless we're facing elimination.

4. Any poster that screams the game is over and/or the series is over within the first three innings should be banned from the subsection.

lw17 likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree what we have seen from Pressly and Tucker should give Hinch pause before using them again. Until something changes, 7-8-9 should be James-Harris-Osuna. I also trust Smith and Peacock. I am hoping Urquidy gets thru 5 in game 4, with Peacock taking the 6th. Abreu, Pressly, and Rondon should be used only in low leverage or extra innings.

I trust Hinch on the batting order, as long as Reddick/Marisnick and Chirinos/Maldonado are 8-9.

agree, nobody on short rest unless they are coming on in relief during an elimination game and there aren’t any other appealing options.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

Why would you trust Peacock in a pivotal game when you should expect him to be rusty. Id rather have James/smith/harris/osuna in that order.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

I think the team will continue to use them both. Not sure what I think about Pressly, but with Tucker, I don't think Reddick inspires any more confidence so I think he's a reasonable choice.

Nook, snowconeman22 and BigM like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

All suggestions imminently reasonable and I’d expect that to be the game plan going forward

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Díaz in LF when the series gets back to MMP. Reddick/Tucker/Marisnick are just giving AB’s away by the truckload

lw17 likes this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

What part of Pressly do you not know? His slider isnt fooling anyone and its exposing his 4 seam fastball. He needs to stay off the the field. I still have nightmares from game 4 2017 ALCS. What have you seen from Pressly that gives you confidence. His command has been awful since hes been back. You think hes magically going snap out of it now ?

Dont forget it was Diaz at bat that setup that inning in the 9th. Its what allowed us to get into their bullpen.

7. magichat281

magichat281 Member

The coach decides that. He get paid millions to decide the rotation. He sees these players everyday he will make the right decision. If you feel that you’re a better fit please feel free to leave a resume at the astros front office for an interview thank you sir.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It’s a fan message board where people give opinions. There isn’t a dumber response in sports discussion than the ultra lame “I’m sure the coach knows better than you/ maybe you should apply for the coaching job” comeback. Do fans have to be the Astros Manager before they can express an opinion during the ALCS?

OtisHerrera, lw17, pugsly8422 and 9 others like this.
  9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

you want everyone here to agree on that laundry list LOL

arkoe likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He probably just wants feedback. Discussion. Opinions. Astro talk.

11. Major

Major Member

The fact that he's been one of the dominant relievers in all of baseball over the last 1.5 years. He's in a funk and what I don't know is if it's fixable. Frankly, you don't either. Relievers go through struggles all the time - I'd be curious to see if there's any physical issues or not. He was completely dominant in his 4 outings in September after coming back from injury (4 innings, 7 strikeouts, 1 hit) and if you can get him to where he was, he can help this team a lot.

12. the shark

the shark Member

Man I'd take 2 solid innings from Urquidy. Anything over this is asking a lot.
    He's a young guy and pitching in the ALCS (in NY) and with their line up it's going to be tough.

I could envision this (game 4):

Urquidy (2)
    Peacock (1.1)
    Smith (1.2)
    James (2)
    Harris (1)
    Osuna (1)

Urquidy (along with everyone else) will be on a short leash. If he can get through 3 even better. How things go tomorrow plays into this as well (if any of the above pitch).

everyday eddie and bigdaddy like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d expect the hope would be to get somewhere between 12 and 15 outs from Urquidry with him scheduled to get pulled after a run or two with guys on base. I’d be surprised if he ended up at 2 inning (or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6). I’d wager decent money that his IP ends with a +, .1 or .2 (meaning he gets pulled somewhere mid inning when AJ feels the game slipping away from him or trending that way) not at an inning break.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

You don't let Urquidy face the top of the lineup a second time. Or any of the relievers for that matter.

Urquidy: 2
    Peacock: 1+
    Smith: 1+
    James
    Harris
    Osuna

Have Abreu, Pressly, and Rondon as well for situational ABs.

15. astros123

astros123 Member

I have mini season tickets and i spend roughly 8k a year on Astros games and astros merchandise. Im pretty sure im entitled to give my opinion.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Way too reactionary.
    Would love to put some runs up and let pressly find his rhythm.
    How many at-bats has marisnick had to say he is giving at-bats away? He can get as hot as anyone.
    If anything move alvarez down to take some pressure off of him. He is 22. I dont mind leaving the lineup the way it is though. It will click at some point.
    Smith pitched well last night but i wouldnt press our luck.
    Other than that, i somewhat agree with your analysis.

Nook likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Personally, I have seen enough of Tucker.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've finally resorted to putting some of these posters on ignore, particularly if I haven't seen them in this forum prior to the past couple of weeks.

20. vonbock

vonbock Member

I feel for you. After 2017, the price they quoted me for field level season tickets was way up there. I don't know how someone can go to all 81 games of a season ticket.