1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Roy Rogers save us from losing the BzD?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Does anyone think Jeff could be considered as a replacement, and that if he was, he would be interested? I've heard from time to time that he's considered getting back into coaching. Well, he lives in Houston with his family, and if he was ever serious about getting back into the game, becoming an Associate Head Coach (perhaps?) or the defensive guru to MDA's offensive madness could be a way to do it. We are a contending team and there are very few opportunities available like he could have here. He would also be well positioned, should he be successful with the Houston defense, to take over from Mike if that situation ever developed. I've always liked the guy. His weakness, in my opinion, was always on the offensive end. That's more than covered here.

Just a thought, and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about who will replace Bzdelik. Roy Rogers? I saw Roy Rogers and Dale Evans at the rodeo an age and a half ago. Heck, more than once. Unless he's a zombie (bad juju!!), I just don't see that happening.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i only wonder how he would handle the new age switching defense

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Tillman doesn't have the money to pay Jeff Van Gundy what Disney pays him. Jeff Van Gundy can be confident his paycheck will clear with Disney. Not so much with the Tillman.

https://www.khou.com/article/money/...0m-hotel-faces-payment-disputes/285-570366029

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My guess, and it's only a guess, of course, is that he keeps current with defensive trends, with what is working at that end in today's NBA. An NBA far different than the league he last coached in, of course. The guy strikes me as pretty intelligent, so he might understand what made the Rockets defense successful last season, and would definitely have ideas about how to use the personnel available. It would all depend on the interview, assuming he was ever given one, or had an interest in an interview if he were asked by Morey and MDA. Not a sure thing at all from either Jeff or the Rockets. Very unlikely to happen, but the idea of Van Gundy sitting on the bench next to D'Antoni made me chuckle. I don't know. I just find the possibility funny, and in a good way. Maybe because he's someone who has even less hair than I have. Groovy!

Clutch would have fun interviewing him after games. :cool:

don grahamleone and pippendagimp like this.
  5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Couple of comments on the above.
    1) I'd cream all over myself ... but probably not what I should lead with!
    2) JVG is currently coaching the team USA qualifying team, so he probably is current.
    3) Don't know if 2) indicates he still has the coaching itch...or if that gig scratches it.
    4) TV gig seems hard to walk away from.
    5) Somebody mentioned Mike Brown. I'd be real happy with him.

Side story. I used to have season tickets in the JVG era. With my binoculars I could see JVG drawing plays on his pad during time out. Not well enough to see the actual play, but I could see what side of the key and stuff like that. Then i'd tell my buddy, watch this, play at the top of the key on the left. And that would never happen....time and time again. Finally I figured it out. He wasn't diagramming the offense, he was diagramming the defense! Yea, I'd be super happy to have JVG back and running the D. See 1) above.

GermanRoxFan and Deckard like this.
  6. Granville

Granville Member