1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I smoke yet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Had impacted wisdom tooth removed Monday afternoon. Dentist said wait 72 hours but when I told him that would be very difficult he said how about 24? I said fine but then he warned me of 'dry socket' which sounds horrible so I was frightened into waiting longer. It's been 51 hours and I'm jonesing bad. Can I have one? (Please save lectures on quitting. I quit everything else 13 months ago. Not ready to let this go yet.)

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I had dry socket it does suck(though you can go back to dentist and he can put a temporary filler with medicine in for no cost) and it also happend because I smoked and couldn't wait.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

how many people are allowed to say no before the one person says yes and you do?

methinks at least 10

4. Batman Jones

I was getting ready to go for it based on one person on FB saying he waited 24 hours and was fine but then one person here and one there said they got dry socket from smoking so screw it. I'll wait the full 72. Only 20 or so to go and I'll be asleep for some of them.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Ahh, don't be a puss. Smoke em' if ya got em'. The smoke will help heal it.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you have what like 1 more day to go just take a bunch of nyquil and sleep through that remaining day

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Everybody's different. You might get a dry socket and you may not, but I wouldn't risk it. What you're feeling now will likely pale in comparison to a dry socket if you were to get one.

8. Batman Jones

That's what I figured. Not worth the risk. It's a drag to wait another day when I'm jonesing so bad, but it's better than risking dry socket. I still have to go to the dentist for like 8 more procedures. I'm not adding to the list if it can be avoided. Thanks for the advice, guys.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

If you really want to risk getting infections. Just follow the procedures. Some people might heal faster than others but usually if a doctor told me to wait for 72 hrs. I usually will extend that to another day or 2 to be on the safe side. Getting infections in your mouth is not a good thing and a waste of money if it does.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not a lecture but...since you're two days in, why not just keep it riding till quitsville?

11. Batman Jones

Man, I could have sworn I said in my OP I wasn't interested in this kind of stuff.

I quit drinking and drugging 13 months ago. I've been vegan for 18 years. I just broke up with my girlfriend of 5 years and lost my dog and two cats in the process. I'm not quitting smoking this week, this month or this year. Thanks for repeating the advice that I hear (and read on my cigarette packs) every day though.

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

When I got my wisdom tooth out, they told me not to smoke for a week. I'm surprised you were only told 72 hours.

13. Xerobull

Wasn't a lecture, which is what you asked not to hear. It's common sense- if you want to quit eventually, which you inferred by saying 'yet', you're already on the first leg of the journey. Makes sense to keep going, which is what I posted originally.

Whatever....do what you want, cranky ass.

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Consider a nicotine patch to hold you? 72 hours is the bare minimum, but a week is preferred. I would definitely not smoke for 3 days though, because if the socket gets infected and additional surgery is required, you may have to stop smoking for a month.

15. Batman Jones

You bet I'm cranky. I haven't had a cigarette in over two days and my frigging mouth hurts.

Here is the answer to "why not ride it out?"

- I am addicted
    - It is the most addictive substance on the planet
    - I quit all other addictive substances just over a year ago and smoking helps me stick with that
    - I am bipolar and stress is very bad for my condition
    - As I mentioned I just had a difficult breakup after 5 years, which already puts me under a considerable amount of stress and trying to break an addiction of this sort would no doubt create a lot more stress
    - I took Chantix to quit three times over the last two years (and did temporarily quit each time) and the psychological trauma from the side effects is very fresh in my mind.

When I said I didn't need any lectures, I meant I didn't need anyone saying, "hey, why not just quit?" Did you think the thought had not occurred to me?

I appreciate the sentiment, but pretty much all smokers think about quitting every day. I certainly do. I don't need any help with that which is why I asked people to avoid it in their posts here. But whatever. Didn't mean to offend. I am cranky. You are right.

16. Batman Jones

Thanks, RK. I've been wearing a patch the whole time. I'd never make it without some time of nicotine replacement. I will wait the 72, then I will use wet gauze over the hole when I smoke for the remainder of the week and rinse it after, and during the rest of the week I will smoke as sparingly as possible. But I will hold off until tomorrow to pick one up again, as the dentist suggested originally.

17. Xerobull

I get it. I'm not offended. I have friends who smoke- I get it. The 'cranky-ass' was a friendly a-hole comment. Imagine me punching you in the shoulder at the same time. I can be a dick and I'm terribly efficient. It gets me into trouble since I tend to pile on extra crap when I'm doing anything (hey, we're driving to the airport, but since we are, let's stop at every place we need to go in the next year to save a trip).

Kudos on quitting the other crap, sorry to hear about losing the ex and subsequently the animals which I'm sure you miss more. I've been in exactly the same spot.

1 person likes this.
  18. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

You can still smoke pole.

(also, and I'm sure this doesn't help any more than the line above does, I got my wisdom tooth out and smoked after 24 hours with no issues at all).

19. Batman Jones

Thanks, brother. Come on over. You still have your key right?

20. Batman Jones

Thanks, bud. Repped.