1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can clippers keep green, temple, Beverley and zubac after signing kawhi and Durant?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigBum, Jun 29, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Can clippers keep all 4 free agents at 10 million dollars plus each according to cba rules? clippers have bird right on all 4.

They have unlimited resources.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nope, will have to renounce them(lose their bird rights then) & trade Danilo to open max space for Durant & Kawhi

Vivi likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Temple is a vet minimum guy at this point, Zubac probably won't get more than a BAE or tax MLE at best, but even that, i don't see it. Green and Pat are about to get paid i think, both around 10/12 per season imo.

Personally i expect the Clippers to keep only Green, maybe also Pat if they strikeout on big names, but they don't really need him that much considering they have Shai, Lou, Robinson and maybe someone else i don't remember now.

I think they might need to dump Gallo to sign two max contracts though.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Both Pat and Green would've to go to sign two max contracts?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I could be wrong, you may be right.
    I didn't really do the math. :D
    But smarter people did.

Chandler: $19,200,843 cap hold
    Green: $14,946,667 cap hold
    Temple: $12,000,000 cap hold
    Beverley: $9,551,353 cap hold

https://www.clipsnation.com/2019/6/...lary-cap-situation-kawhi-leonard-kevin-durant

https://www.theringer.com/2019/4/25...lippers-kevin-durant-kawhi-leonard-doc-rivers

The Clippers would need to create $70.85 million in cap space to outright sign both players. If the salary cap is $109 million, as it’s projected, they could create $78.2 million in space by (1) renouncing the rights to all their free agents other than center Ivica Zubac and (2) trading Danilo Gallinari. If Leonard and Durant were signed, then the left-over cash could be used to re-sign Beverley, and they’d have the rights to Zubac.

Front office executives I’ve chatted with don’t think it’d be challenging to find a suitor for Gallo; he’s on an expiring contract and just had a career-best season. Not many teams could outright absorb his $22.6 million salary, but a few make sense, such as the Nets or Mavericks, or a club looking to accelerate their rebuild like the Hawks, or a playoff team looking to get over the hump like the Jazz or Pacers. The Clippers could have to sacrifice a future pick for a team to help them create two maximum slots, but that’d be a worthy price to pay.

malakas, Cdub37 and Vivi like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Kd and kawhi will meet with jerry west and balmer tomorrow,
    Clippers have much better depth than others,

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Teams and both players could demand sign and trade bc they have some degree of relationship,