1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Clint Capela...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Nov 18, 2018.

?

20ppg?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's an anecdotal stat I follow with C's where they seem to really turn up their impact when their assists eclipse their turnovers. It usually happens somewhere between the 3rd and 5th season with some exceptions. Capela is averaging as many assists as turnovers for the first time in his career. I think that's a very good sign. His turnovers per minute have remained roughly steady while his assists per minute have steadily increased.

We talk about how he needs stars to create for him, but he is doing the same thing for them on the other end by getting them more possessions (11+ rebounds in 33 minutes) and cleaning up their mistakes (1.7 blocks). Switches extremely well for his size. I'm willing to bet he hits over 60% of his FT's this season too.

The guy is putting together an inspirational career. Shut the criticism out, work hard in the summer, and improve a bit every season. The value of incremental improvements. Still 24 years old, as a big man he can continue this improvement momentum for another 2 years easily. He would not be this good without Harden, and Harden would be without a major weapon without Capela. These qualities are not easily attainable.

Guys picked ahead of him in the 2014 draft:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers— Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
    2. Milwaukee Bucks— Jabari Parker, Duke
    3. Philadelphia 76ers— Joel Embiid, Kansas
    4. Orlando Magic - Aaron Gordon, Arizona
    5. Utah Jazz — Dante Exum, Australia
    6. Boston Celtics — Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
    7. Los Angeles Lakers — Julius Randle, Kentucky
    8. Sacramento Kings — Nik Stauskas, Michigan
    9. Charlotte Hornets— Noah Vonleh, Indiana
    *10. Philadelphia 76ers — Elfrid Payton, UL Lafayette
    *11. Denver Nuggets— Doug McDermott, Creighton (traded to Chicago for 16th and 19th picks)
    *12. Orlando Magic — Dario Saric, Croatia (traded to Philadelphia for Elfrid Payton, Orlando also gives up future picks)
    13. Minnesota Timberwolves — Zach LaVine, UCLA
    14. Phoenix Suns — T.J. Warren, N.C. State
    15. Atlanta Hawks — Adreian Payne, Michigan State
    *16. Chicago Bulls — Jusuf Nurkic, Bosnia (traded to Denver with 19th pick for Doug McDermott)
    17. Boston Celtics — James Young, Kentucky
    18. Phoenix Suns — Tyler Ennis, Syracuse
    *19. Chicago Bulls — Gary Harris, Michigan State (traded to Denver with 16th pick for Doug McDermott)
    20. Toronto Raptors — Bruno Caboclo, Brazil
    21. Oklahoma City Thunder — Mitch McGary, Michigan
    22. Memphis Grizzlies — Jordan Adams, UCLA
    23. Utah Jazz — Rodney Hood, Duke
    *24. Charlotte Hornets — Shabazz Napier, UConn (traded to Miami for 26th pick and a 2nd-round pick)

He was not a top 20 player in this draft by the end of his rookie season. He has crept his way up to arguably top 3 with no signs of slowing down. I would argue Joel Embiid is the only player who's impact he likely won't be able to eclipse on the court and frankly I can see him holding his own against Embiid in a single playoff series.

Don't underestimate this guy. How many more times does he have to exceed expectations? It is NOT routine in any way for a player to exceed expectations for 5 consecutive seasons.

Houstunna, seeingred, topfive and 2 others like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His offensive limitations have been pointed out, however I do see some improvement. He is trying to get better with his right hand. He can make layups and hit a short jump hook with his left hand. If he can develop a jumper in the off season, we might get to see him shooting a few in the future.

He is not going to become a 20 ppg player. GS and OKC give him more problems than most.

Patience likes this.
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Basically, if Capela can't touch the rim then he's out of his range. There's only so many lobs and offensive rebound putbacks you can get per game.

saleem likes this.
  4. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

CC could score 30+ PPG an 15+ RPG but no team with CC will make playoffs I heard in my short time here from someone signature, cant remember who

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No, Capela won't ever get to averaging 20ppg. To get to that level you have to be able to create your own shot. He would have to be closer to Julius Randle in that capacity I suppose.

Not sure Capela is going to bring more scoring than he dose right now. The real gains in him would be stamina over his minutes per game. And increased rebounds and block shots.

6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Too damn soft... if he was to grow a a pair then he might be able to average close to that.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

he can have 20+ pt games every once and awhile but he won't average that throughout a season. Atm theres only 3 actual centers doing so. Towns, Vucevic, and Embiid. You can count AD if you want but regardless CC is not the same type of center they are. Unless houston alters the way they play, CC is right where he should be. And there's nothing really wrong with that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The kid will do just fine. He has a system that fits his strengths and two guards that know when and where he needs the ball. His hair is starting to remind me of Wesley Snipes character Simon Phoenix in Demolition man though......

Red Chocolate and Killatron 2000 like this.
  9. alethios

alethios Member

You'll have to sign up for his newsletter to find out who he is :p

j/k, it's basketballholic. The same guy who believes (I'm serious) that Zhou Qi is a better player, when healthy, than CC.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Lol... that’s a stretch (to say the least) but Hakeem was quite athletic in his own right. He didn’t showcase it as much bc the offense was ran through him but Dream could fly...

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Holding my breath till Holic weighs in with his learned opinion.

AroundTheWorld and kubli9 like this.
  12. kiwirocketsfan

I've been impressed by his touch and body control around the rim. He is definitely an elite roll guy at this point.

As others have said he can't create for himself so what his scoring cap is becomes entirely dependent on what he gets given by others (team-mate of bad defense)

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'd be happy if he could hit both free throws consistently or just steadily bring up his percentage.

Try to dunk everything without rimming out (that baseline spin and almost dunk was going to be epic).

If you must lay it up - make it

14. zigzag

zigzag Member

Yes he could, but not necessarily

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Classic clutch fans thread.

If all the dumb people are picking one side, just pick the other and it’s a free win. The logic doesn’t even matter.

People that are dumb are consistently wrong. People that are smart are only right some times.

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#spreadsheets

AroundTheWorld and topfive like this.
  18. basketballholic

Ha! Silly.

19. basketballholic

No you didn't. Nobody has ever said that.

20. basketballholic

Another Capela thread? Seriously?