1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling it now, NBA not going to be back.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Who actually think the nba would be back when new record of CVs hitting left and right?
    Im saving myself from the heartbreak in the future.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Won’t go past 5-6 games. One player will cause the outbreak.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

They will start, but not finish IMO.

macho GRANDE, AXG, amaru and 2 others like this.
  5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Cool story bro (don't mean that in a disrespectful way) , but at least they're trying regardless of how long the NBA season or the playoffs continue it's nice to have a distraction .

I've been working full time at the ER (on the frontlines I guess) and recently have been working 48-60 hour weeks with no place to go on my days off and nothing to really do on my time off. It'll be nice to watch something other than reruns, Netflix or whatever else when I can.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Too early to call and sorta knee jerk.

Wait what happens.

It was worth a try and if they can finish it off it would be nice to say the least.

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't even care if the NBA comes back at this point, but... it's coming back and it's here to stay. I'll do a $50 tip jar bet.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. The Cat

I posted this on Twitter as well, but a lot of people don't seem to understand how insanely expensive this effort is. As bad as the league's financial losses would have been had they canceled in May, it would be a financial catastrophe to pay for everything they're doing in Florida and then cancel, anyway.

With that said, are there scenarios where they would? Of course, but the bar to get there is going to be quite high, IMO. This isn't a "hope for the best, but understand that it probably won't happen" kind of thing. If the league believed that, the move would be to cancel ASAP.

joshuaao, Deckard and BigM like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is just stupid. But OP is a sorry poster anyway. If you don’t think it’s going to come back then don’t post or bother watching. Nobody gives af if you call it. Debbie downers who have no idea what they’re talking about have been trying to say it since May and it’s been trending toward resuming ever since.

Put your money where your mouth is and tipjar bet. I’ll gladly match for clutch

I’m calling it right now, it’ll be crickets from you

#9 YOLO, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    c1utchfan925 and BigShasta like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The NBA will make it happen. They were the first league to shut down sports and will probably be the first league to successfully pull this off.

YOLO likes this.
  11. The Cat

I just don't see the need that some clearly have to rub people's faces in it. We already have cyber's "NBA return plan" thread in which we've been debating the various COVID factors for months. Now there's this one. And there's a general COVID thread in the Hangout, too.

If people want to be skeptical, obviously they're free to do so. I just don't see the need to turn every single thread in a basketball forum into another version of the same conversation. I mean, the schedule release thread has now been hijacked by someone predicting that the only vehicles allowed on the streets of Florida in July will be ambulances, along with a shortage of graves for the dead bodies.

People can certainly believe whatever they want to believe, but this feels like some people are banging their heads against a wall for the fun of it. If you don't want to talk basketball at this time, that's totally fine, but you don't have to hijack every single thread in a basketball forum from those of us that do.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

If any year is the year for small ball to win its this one. Harden westy and pj got rest, eg and harden lost weight (still not sold it’s going to help harden) and teams have still not adjusted fully to our small ball

this is the year to capitalize

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Whatever happens, I hope no one dies or has life changing health effects from this. I'm more of a better safe than sorry guy. I know there have been reports that some people who recover from covid will not regain their old lung capacity for 20 years. Also, 5% of all people who've gotten covid in America have died. There's 2.4 million reported cases in the United States and there's 328 million Americans in total. That's .7 percent of Americans. I think there's 20 teams, each team will probably bring around 20 people to the tourney. Let's say that 400 people are involved with this, .7 percent is 2.8 people that might have it when you have 400 people involved in something. I know they're going to have tests, but if a test is false-negative and 400 people are exposed...

Whatever side you take, the stats sound scary to me.

(I'm sitting here watching Manchester United without a crowd and I'm pretty happy with it... so there's that too.)

RasaqBoi and daywalker02 like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

what's funny is the same ones spending their energy being the debbie downers, are going to be all over here talking about it when it starts.

I'm calling it now. that's how it works right.

There's a covid thread that talks about covid? really? I had no idea. You wouldn't know it by looking at some of the posts in the GARM

The Cat likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

Wait.. are you upset that people are talking about the thing that postponed the season when the thing that postponed the season hasn't gone away yet even though they're resuming the season? No offense man, but it seems normal to talk about that thing. Everyone handles disaster in different ways and we're a huge group of people. All of this seems normal. Even pretending it's not that big of a deal seems normal, but this attitude that everyone should shut up and talk about what you want to talk about doesn't seem like the YOLO I know. What's going on man?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

no it's not normal talk. especially not in the GARM. you don't say something is not happening in another thread. then make a actual thread of it just bc you didn't get any attention. you don't say this isn't happening over and over and over. when theres posts over and over telling you it is from people that actually matter. just bc you feel like being a debbie downer that just isn't following the process or doing the research

If someone doesn't think it's going to happen great. There's actual covid threads you can go to to vent. don't go to a schedule thread or cyber thread literally showing you the process of it resuming saying the same stuff that's been said since May. Derailing threads with negative, the world is ending energy makes no sense. A lot of people come to those threads to see details of the schedule or how its going to resume, you know actual basketball news. NOT people b****ing about so and so is not going to happen.

who wants to see posts talking about the streets are going to be filled with ambulances and no room for dead bodies in basketball resumption threads. That's just dumb af.

#17 YOLO, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Talking about a literal plague that has killed over 125,000 Americans is unavoidable when the league is about to open up play in the epicenter of the pandemic. Sorry, it bums some of you out.

OmegaSupreme and don grahamleone like this.
  19. don grahamleone

Agreed, it's not a well written original post and lacks any real backing for the statement. Also, these times are not normal so for people to post weird stuff and act strangely is somewhat expected. We're essentially grieving our old lives that were suddenly taken from us. All of us. That's going to create a weird vibe on here.

I mean, I feel weird AF right now because of covid life. None of this is normal. So some people think the NBA is going back to normal activity (they're not, it'll have major adjustments) and that's while we're still living weird lives sitting at home. Having a reaction to that is to be expected. If this guy didn't get acknowledged as a human being when he said what he said in another thread... well.. that's why he started a new thread. What are you going to do? Change the guy's personality trait that craves attention?

I personally like Snoop's advice:

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Most of the "deaths" are people who would have died very soon. Half of deaths over 80 years old, 40% of deaths in nursing homes. Over 80% of deaths had other serious health problems pre-COVID.

Meanwhile, COVID deaths in the United States are down to the lowest level since March. If you turn off the media's fear machine, things are getting much better. Case counts are a function of testing, and not a sign of spread.

But this is a far too logical way to look at things than what most can accept...

s3ts, Y2JT and waytookrzy079 like this.