1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a new car & finding out the "real price"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emoreland, Aug 20, 2012.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Im looking to buy a new pickup and ive done plenty of research. The toyota tacoma looks to be the best truck for the money because it keeps its value the most. Ive looked at many used tacomas; most of them having anywhere from 40k-80k miles and they are only a couple thousand dollars cheaper than a brand new one. I currently have a toyota 4runner with 231k so I can attest to their reliability.

Anyway, I live in West Texas and the economy is so great at the moment that the dealers are actually selling their cars several thousand dollars above retail price and refuse to come off it. I have been using truecar.com along with other sites to get as close to the real price of these tacomas as I can. I have been taking these prices to the big dealerships in the Houston and Dallas areas and they are significantly cheaper than here in Midland.

I understand that they are in the business to make money but how can I get to their real price? I always hear that you can find out the "dealer invoice" price but that price isnt always the real price because of kick backs and rebates and so on. Any advice?

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Why not make a deal over the phone or email with a dealership in Houston/Dallas and pick it up over the weekend ?

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

prepare your cash or check. stop by the dealerships around you. tell them you'r on your way to houston or dallas to purchase the truck but you'll buy theirs instead if they can match the price

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

DUDE. :eek: That's fudged up.

SRSLY speaking, though, threaten them with matched offers, like v-dawg says... :cool: good luck, sir.

6. vlaurelio

and don't tell them to lower the price or get it nearer the invoice price

tell them you have $X amount in cash or check with you and you are gonna buy same day

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Call multiple dealerships saying you have cash and looking for a white tacoma...tell them your calling every dealersgip lookin for the beat deal and whoever supplys the best deal your gonna get... ask whats the best thier willibg to offer and call around doing the same thing... if they say they cant do that or they can only do it in peraon, tell them they are lying and obviously you dont wanna sell me a truck...

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Never buy a new car. There are plenty nice 3 year old cars that you will pay half the price on.

Nice cars are the biggest rip-off outside of 30-year mortgages.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would listen to BigMaloe * ALWAYS. :eek: ALWAYS.

10. vlaurelio

this too. try cars.com

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My brother is selling his Tacoma which he just got within the last year and has very few miles. He got a new job which provides a truck, so he has no need for it. In Houston area though.

Edit: Never mind, it's a Tundra.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Thats basically what I did for my car.

Stopped by the dealership and told the guy that I "wasn't sure what to think of their prices" because I had found the same car for cheaper in another dealership (which was a bluff), so they made me an even better offer :cool:

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

There is no invoice on a used car. What you want to find is clean trade price and negotiate from their.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Try edmunds.com also.

16. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

FightingChance.com

When I bought my Odyssey a few months ago I paid 35 dollars for a packet from Fighting Chance. It tells you how much invoice etc is like most sites but it also tells you about the dealer incentives, the amount of holdback, and the bonus structures at the place.

They suggest emailing them all and let them big against themselves.

I emailed various ones individually. I took the information I found and straight up told the internet sales managers when he said I am making 100 bucks on this car, “Hey Buddy, I know Honda of American gives you 750 dollars no matter what price you sell it at. I know this in addition to your holdback. And let’s be honest, you don’t make your money off the margin on the car, you want the big dealership bonus check based off the survey I fill out. Give me the price I need and I will give you all 5’s.”

For some dealerships(the small ones) it did not work. For the larger ones they are truly more interested in moving the unit and getting the high satisfaction survey score. I found one that simply cut through all the BS and sold me my car for a great price. Better than the best price I found online forums that people got here in Houston. I got the car below invoice and I got the accessories I wanted lower than any place in Houston.

I thought the 35 bucks was worth it for me. It was all the info I needed in one place. While I did not use the information in the manner he suggested it helped me a lot and I found it worth it.

When I went to Russell and Smith they told me “the lowest possible price on earth” and they would welcome my business when the dealer in Kingwood screwed me over. When they followed up with me later I was thrilled to tell them they were wrong and he sold it to me exactly for what I was quoted.

Internet FTW

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

^
    ah, that's why the acura dealer i bought it from was kinda pissed off at me the next time i saw them after buying the car. for the survey i gave them a lower score on the financing department because they had the price wrong on the paper i almost signed.

salesman wanted me to give them all 10s on the survey.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

http://truecar.com will show you basically what you can expect to pay on average for a new car. They will break it down by options etc.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

That's great and all... But that only applies to new cars. He is purchasing a used car. Used cars you make commission on the price you sell the car over what the dealership owns it for.