1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bullpen spending limit this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Sydeffect, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Our bullpen in the 2nd half of the season fell off a cliff, but I'm not sure how much of it is due to fatigue because of that injury plagued stretch. But I'm not sure how much top tier relievers we should add because of our salaries currently.

In 2017, Astros after Verlander paid an adjusted salary of $149,964,177. Most of the top tier teams will reach up to 190m or so, but remember we have some future FAs to worry about.

Contract situations:

1. Gurriel: His contract decreases each year so by 2m for 3 more seasons.

2. McCann: Has a vested option for 2019 that will pay him 15m if he plays more than 90 games in 2018.

3. Gregerson's 6m salary is off the books, and next year is SIpps last year too.

4. Keuchel, Verlander, Morton, Marwin are all FA's after the 2018 season.

5. Our core 4 hitters are locked in until 2020 at earliest (altuve).

So with that said how much do you guys think we should realistically spend in the FA market?

Some names include Wade Davis, Addison Reed, David Robertson, Greg Holland, I also read a report Indians might not keep Bryan Shaw (Don't know why).

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think Fiers is dealt this winter. The Astros have six veteran starters (Verlander, Keuchel, Morton, Peacock, McCullers, McHugh) and one inexperienced starter (Martes), plus two starters in AAA who are ready (Paulino and Armenteros).

I am betting that Jim Crane will OK Luhnow to go after Wade Davis in free agency. The Astros will have to outbid the Cubs, which seems unlikely.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I still do not know if I want to resign Keuchel. I have a feeling he will be a Yankee.

I think Marwin is a must if you do not have to over pay.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm assume you are using the sportrac number, which is a little deceptive because it tries to account for the draft allotment and international spending. We will spend much less on those 2 areas next year FWIW. Our actual MLB payroll was around 130-135 million

What I think we "should" do really doesn't matter. Crane has been very true to his word so far about increasing spending. While we haven't had the big jump some wanted, our payroll has consistently been increasing 20-30 million every season, and I expect this offseason to be no different.

Our payroll right now is about 135-140 million if we trade/non tender Fiers, right about where we ended last season. That means we will probably have the usual 20-30 million to spend.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Verlander is a free agent after 2019. Altuve is a free agent after 2019.

My guess is Morrow and McGee as free agents. Shouldn't cost too much.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what winning a WS does to a payroll... but its a fair guess that thanks to 9 extra home game sellouts, plus a slew of merchandise/concession sales, and the expected jump in both season ticket holder base and overall attendance for next season... that the 2017 Astros (taking into account everything) are the most profitable team in houston baseball history.

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see why draft allotment and international spending shouldn't be included. The money comes out of the same budget. Needing to spend less on draft and international spending should free up money for the MLB team.

raining threes and CometsWin like this.
  8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

A Bryan Shaw and Derek Fisher reunion would be nice

Snake Diggit, macho87 and Spacemoth like this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hey, I hope both of you are right. Given the playoff run, and almost guarantee of increased attendance, we should be talking about at least an extra 30-40 million in revenue on top of spending probably close to 5-8 million less on the amateur signings. We should be talking close to 50 million extras dollars over the next calendar year.

But Crane's MLB payroll thus far has remained on a pretty static trajectory, I'm not expecting it to change too much, nor do I really think it needs to this year. The big issue is what starts happening next off season and beyond.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

All I know is that a double shot of whiskey in game 5 cost a solid $26. I hope my efforts payed towards a better bullpen.

11. akgoel

akgoel Member

I think Marwin is gone after 2018. You have Gurriel, Reddick, and Springer for 3 more years. The 3rd outfield spot is for Kyle Tucker with Marisnick to backup. If you believe in Moran, then you have your 5 infielders. Unless Marwin is willing to take backup salary, then you'll have to let him go.

studogg and DudeWah like this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

David Robertson is not a free agent and I don't see him as being on the market.

Shaw is a free agent and the Indians may not keep him because of financial limitations and the fact that he is a bit overrated.

I'm hoping for Brandon Morrow & Tony Watson among free agents, though I've seen some other names I was less familiar with that might be better options than Watson.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tell me they at least gave you a reach around on that rape.

14. the shark

the shark Member

It was $32 with the plastic cup:eek:

15. tmacfor35

Alex Bregman allowed me to leave that stadium with some dignity.

juicystream likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A quick number number crunch.

Getting back to 3 million attendance would mean 600K extra fans, at about $70 a head with concessions, that's 42 million. We probably made 20-25 million from the postseason run, on top of increased merchandise sales.

We're probably talking close to 70-75 million in extra revenue. That's even more coin than I expected. From what I remember, our revenue was about 300 million in 2016.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Not exactly true. Verlander isn't a free agent until after the 2019 season.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder when their TV deal is up for re-negoitation?

Not that they'd ever do anything close to a CSN-like debacle again... but if there's ever a time to cash in on leverage, now would be it.

ATT shows the games... which is ultimately all that matters... but they really do very little else. All the other post-season teams had their own post-game shows on their regional networks. ATT had poker.... and ultimately showed replays of a rockets game that had just happened 2 hours prior.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Crane has got to be pretty close to recouping his original investment. I'd imagine he will be more eager and willing than ever to open up the books.

texans1095 likes this.