1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Budinger and Donte Green have almost Identical Numbers.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Apr 14, 2010.

1. vince

vince Member

Regarding Donte Greene. Ever since the Artest/Green Trade last season, I've kept an eye on his progress. Even though he isn't a Rocket, you can still see the Morey touch. Morey pulled drafted him, it's a neat way to still evaluate Morey's ability to find NBA players.

But then I compared Budinger to Green's numbers. And they are practically Identical - give or take a little either way. But they are in the range of 8.5 to 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, on 44 % FG and 38% shooting 75 games, 20 minutes. And they practically the same age, Budinger is 3 month younger.

Morey is good at finding talent. This only goes to show that Morey knew what he was doing last season when he drafte Green. Now after the Artest experiment, he went back into the draft and got himself another player who is similar to Green.

It'll be fun to see who has the better career. Good luck to both though. :cool:

Sweet!!!

2. vince

vince Member

Pardon my typos, it's late at night.

Go Budinger!!!

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I'm thinking Budinger will, but Greene did show us in that summer league game that he is capable of dropping 40. I expect Greene to be in a starting role next year while Budinger will probably continue coming off the bench.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Budinger was projected to be a lotto pick at times last year. I think Morey is getting to much credit for buying a pick and drafting him with the 44th pick. Everyone seemed to pass on him because he is white (thank you Adam Morrison).

Morey deserves some props, but he still drafted Joey Dorsey and Jermaine Taylor (who is an okay prospect). I don't think he will ever have a year as successful as the Brooks/Landry draft. I hope he proves me wrong this year.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

And You are dead serious too.. :rolleyes:

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Here is the true story; Adelman went to Les and asked if he would buy one more pick to draft Budinger. Yes, Adelman loved some Bud and he saw he was still available he approached Les and asked he draft Bud.

Sergio Llull and jermaine Taylor are Morey's picks.

Last year Dorsey and Greene were Morey's picks. The great year we picked up Landry and Brooks again Adelman approached management and requested Brooks. He had watched Brooks several times while not coaching and living in the Northwest. Almost everyone on this board wanted a big and the last thing we wanted was a tiny pg. I thought it was a stupid pick. Brooks was a less talented Earl Boykins. Stupid me.

As for Landry it was CD's right hand man Sam Hinkie who discovered him. When Morey switched to take over his first draft it was Hinkie and CD who convinced Morey that Landry albeit undersized was a unique player. To Moreys credit it was his choice. And he was smart enough to promote Hinkie to VP of Basketball Operations. But Hinkie discovered Landry.

Morey gets Credit for Greene and Dorsey. Dorsey looked to be the steal of the draft to me. Althouh mostly injured in his first summer league he played amazing for a game. If he only had Chuck hayes heart and brain he would have been a steal. Unfortunately Dorsey has mental problems and a propensity to stay out late and do tequila shots.

Morey gets credit for trading Bobby J, Donte Greene, a first round pick and cash for Artest. Artest was to be resigned but Les and management thought he was a borderline nutcase and decided not to resign. So then Morey gets credit for signing Ariza in his place. Ariza didnot turn out to be the second scorer they hoped for but he is a good piece on a championship team albeit a role player. Also Morey deserves credit for trading for David Andersen's rights and signing him for half the MLE in the off season. And of course the big coop of Knick picks, Jordan Hill and Martin for Tmac and Landry. That appears to be an amazing deal in favor of the Rockets and Morey played it perfectly.

All in All I still think Morey is a great GM but probably a little bit overrated.

#6 Old Man Rock, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    2 people like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It doesn't matter who brought the player up since it's Morey's final decision. Do you think Morey scouts every player in the college and overseas? If Morey thought there was a better prospect, he would have drafted him. That what bosses do. Morey is not overrated because he made the great decision given the information provided to him regardless of where it came from.

8. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Even if that's true it's more of a reflection of our team's depth/talent compared to the Kings. If Greene was on the Rockets he would be coming off the bench too.

9. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Hey Rock,

I thought it was Coop that found Carl, not Sam.

I tried to find it but could not, but I remember reading a quote from CD giving credit to Coop.

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

True story, huh?

There were a couple of mentions of Adelman watching Brooks in his off year, and now he gets the sole credit for it? Or Hinkie being in favour of Landry means that Morey had nothing to do with it?

Give me some real sources, and not some speculation from the press and I'm more inclined to agree with you.

How do you know that Joey Dorsey wasn't the decision of a Clutch the Bear or Greene really being found by one of the ballboys?

GM's should never base their decisions on what the coach says, and I doubt that Morey does that either. Can Adelman have an input on the decisions? Yes, he can. But it is still the GM's call and he should be credited for it.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How ridiculous is that? Folks actually believe that crap. "Oh a white guard can't be a lottery pick because he's white." Enough with that crap. Adam Morrison didn't stop the bucks from lottery drafting Joe Alexander. You know, the other very athletic white guy.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just because Llull and Taylor were "Morey's picks" as opposed to Budinger somehow not being a "Morey pick" does not mean that Llull and Taylor can't still pan out at some point in the near future.

Lest we all forget about the first years Brooks and Landry had.

Personally I feel like Taylor has more upside to him than Budinger, simply because when I look at him I see a guy that has the physical tools, the brains, and the motivation to become an elite defender. Budinger while athletic in his own right just doesn't have the same lateral quickness. And Llull...who knows! Those highlights we've been getting make him out to be the next Manu but we all know how that goes and I won't even mention the dude's name but you know who I'm talking about.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't care who noticed whom first.

Morey and the rest of the Rockets are a team, they all share in the credit and in the failures.

As for Donte Greene, I want him and the pick back that we gave up for that wack job Ron Artest.

DD

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You were pretty happy when the trade went down, and if you're telling me that you were thinking this after Game 6 against Portland, I'll call you a liar. I still think it worked out in the end, especially since I'm not sure how useful Greene would be to us now, as we're not exactly suffering from a wing shortage. Not having Cassipi is annoying, but it's worth the excellent playoffs last year.

And Rock, where did you hear Adelman wanted Bud? I've definitely heard and seen the sources for him talking about Brooks (though I still laugh at how everyone blamed Morey when it was thought Brooks was trash and then people wanted to give the credit to Adelman the minute it was obvious he wasn't) but I have never heard anything about Adelman wanting Budinger.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nah. I equate the Artest trade to the Randy Johnson trade that the Astros made back in 1998. Sure, it didn't work out in the end, and the prospects they gave up ended up becoming All-Stars in their own right, but the deal was made to give the team a legit shot at a title.

The fact that the addition of Artest helped the Rockets get that first-round monkey off their backs alone made the deal worthwhile. Plus, the addition of Budinger sort of makes up for not having Donte Greene.

That said, I will always follow Donte's career thinking what he might have become with the Rockets. Like Bud, Donte had been projected by many as a mid- to late lottery pick at one point. I remember watching the 2008 Draft with my buddies, counting each pick as the Rockets' pick approached, hoping and praying that Donte Greene did not come off the board. To find out late that night that the Rockets maneuvered to get him at #28 (when the team started the night with the #25 pick) was just amazing.

(I love Omri Casspi, too, but there was certainly no guarantee that Morey would have used that pick on him. Probably would have taken either Beaubois or Taylor with that pick.)

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bima,

I can see that side, makes sense.

But for me Ron Artest was never going to help in Houston, his personality was far too strong for a team like Houston with weak leadership in Tmac and Yao.

It just was not going to work chemistry wise.

I agree that once Tmac went out, it was fun watching them beat Portland....

Oh well....your analogy of Randy Johnson works....

DD

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice analogy about RJ and Artest. I was lucky enough to be able to catch a couple of the games Johnson pitched for Houston, coming in from Austin, and had great seats. At the time, I would have made that trade everyday, and twice on Sundays. The guy was incredible (reminded me of when I lived in Houston and saw some of our great pitchers back in the day, when we had great pitchers!) The reaction was similar to getting Artest. Most around here couldn't believe our luck. Sure, we all had concerns about the guy, but what we paid to land him seemed a steal. As you said, it got us to the second round at last, thank god.

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I thought that was the point. Ron was a leader, McGrady definitely isn't, and Yao's not a forceful one, and there was talk about how we needed the toughness Ron brought. Yeah, it didn't work out chemistry wise, but that was because T-Mac was a whiny ***** when the chips were laid out - and there's not much you can do about that when you're paying him 23 million.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

morey dosent do everything he just has a good employees (scouts, ect.) that bought in to what he is doing, morey speaks on how hes determined to make this team a serious contender, and les is trowing $$$ so its all good. its called team effort.

20. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Thanks to this thread I have this image in my head of Morey as a drooling idiot in a dunce cap who likes to make fart noises while all the smart people in the organization do the hard work of actually finding good players. They just keep calling Morey the GM because he plays the role well on television and throws off all the other teams that are trying to duplicate the Rockets' scouting formulas.