1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back the Oiler name

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Don't care...I've moved on and stuff. I like the Texans. They're our team now...sorry old fogies.

The Hunted likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And really it's only the old fogies wearing rose colored glasses because the Oilers still gave Houston the most embarrassing sports moment in Houston history right before they picked up shop and moved to the sticks. They were such an embarrassment that the fans collectively said "Go ahead and leave, no one cares".

I would want the history back only so that we could honor guys like Warren Moon and Earl Campbell here in Houston instead of having their jerseys hang in a stadium out in the sticks where they never played.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes...the Oilers hurt me by all the CHOKING they did. I lived thru it all. I have a Oiler license plate hanging on my wall in my office. I have a couple of Oilers Christmas ornaments on a shelf in that same office. I loved the Oilers.....but they are dead and gone. I've moved on...so should you. Their colors and history are in Possum Holler. I loved the players.....but the Texans have been my team since 2002. Give IT UP.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

[​IMG]IMG_1331 by

msn, TheFreak, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's a psychological diagnosis to describe those who are unable to move on from the past.

Its not as if there was ever a choice here either.

Likewise, I'm sure Baltimore would take the Colts history back if they could... but they're not getting rid of the Ravens.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh Hai Gaiz! How about something higher-tech and renewable!

The Houston Solars!

And when they're terrible, we can call them... the Soilers! Get it![​IMG]

CometsWin likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No. The Texans are a train wreck of an organization. At least the Oilers were entertaining.

mulletman likes this.
  8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They didn’t win a championship, unfortunately.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL......How old are you? Oilers RE-DEFINED train wreck. Bud Adams firing the most successful coach they had after a playoff road loss, sending the franchise into an 8 year playoff drought. Stagger Lee, Leaving Tickets for Elvis, The BIGGEST CHOKE of ALL TIME, Player shooting himself on an overpass after his killed his best friend/rumored lover in a drunk driving accident. Baby-gate. Coaches punching each other on the sidelines, Bud Adams threatening to leaving in the late 80s, then again in the mid-90s. Presenting a stadium plan for a dual use stadium without talking with the Rockets (I could keep going...). Entertaining? Yeah....but a TRAINWRECK of an organization.

Texans may be underperforming franchise so far, but they are FAR from the Trainwreck that the Oilers were. Even with Bob McNair's comments and the Cheerleader suit, the Texans as an organization is still much better than the Oilers.

eric.81, msn and Bobbythegreat like this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m not sure why people get so angry and personal about opinions on this topic in this thread.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. CometsWin

"underperforming franchise so far" is code for have sucked their entire history.

You remember the Oilers because they were entertaining, made the playoffs seven years in a row, made back to back conference title games. You WISH the Texans had that kind of a track record.

12. CometsWin

Repressed Texans anger.

o_O

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....those 7 years in a row, the Oilers made it to the same round the Texans have: The Divisional Round. The Oilers had many years of SUCKAGE. THE ONLY thing the Oilers have on the Texans is the 2 Conference Championship losses.

How many Division Titles did the Oilers win in the NFL? 2. Texans already 4 in 15 years.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. CometsWin

The Texans are #1 in 9-7 division titles in the worst division in football. True.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

9-7.....Twice. The other division titles were 10-6 and 12-4.

You know how many times the HOUSTON Oilers won more than 11 games? ONCE, same as the Texans and lost in the same round as the Texans did. Difference is the Texans is still a much younger franchise.

You act like the Oilers were Super Bowl contenders every year. The fact is they were contenders only 2 years. They were perennial underachievers and a losing organization. They have had more success in Tennessee than they EVER had in Houston (Not counting AFL). Accept that and move the **** on.

Nimo likes this.
  16. CometsWin

*snicker*

Texans fan all crazy.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I am not going to pretend like the Oilers were a great franchise, but the Texans are a pretty damn boring a mediocre franchise as well.

Nimo likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Atleast they have a chance to turn it around. Starts with #4 at QB.

The Oilers are stuck in amber, gone the way of the Dodo and the dinosaurs.....Never to roam the Earth again.

Nimo likes this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Mr Scarface all like

tenor.gif

houstonstime likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fighting over Texans and Oilers just reminds me how much this "football city" has suffered. Every other sport has won (Rockets, Astros, Comets, even Dynamo) at the highest level. Yet the Texans will still pack arenas more than the others.