1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bregman Respect

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rashmon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

A couple years ago, I watched the opposing teams telecast, and they were raving about Bregman. They were saying the Astros front office believed he could be the best hitter in the league, or something to that effect. It surprised me, because Altuve had been great for a while, and Bregman hadn't shown much in the majors to that point.

At the time, it was also mentioned that he was one of the youngest starting 3B in the American League. I thought it was hyperbole by the announcers, but it looks like the Astros were confident very early that Bregman was going to become a star. Hopefully he can keep this up for many years to come.

vince and everyday eddie like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What does Luic Scola think about Bregman??

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

[​IMG]

peleincubus likes this.
  4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Bregman’s first 5 September games

9 for 18 4hr 10rbi’s 4 doubles 5 runs 3 walks

5. HTown2017Champs

There's a reason why Bregman was always untouchable in every trade. Patience pays off. He's the future face of the Astros. He, and not Correa, needs to get the next big contract.

vince likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wouldn't dismiss Correa. If he is injured again next year for a large portion of the season, or plays the whole season and does not improve then you can start talking about how much better Bregman may be.

Otherwise Correa is still a great player it looks to me. The first 1/3 of the season he was playing great.

7. HTown2017Champs

I just like Bregman's hard work and dedication better. From what I've heard, Bregman is to Biggio as Correa is to Berkman (we all know what this means). Correa strikes me as the most "show off" in attitude, while Altuve and Bregman seem more than content with our medium market team. Just a fan of Bregman (and Altuve) more.
    Altuve, Bregman, and Cole collectively being about half our payroll come the early 2020's doesn't bother me at all. Hang 2, 27, 45 (along with 17 and 44) up in the raftors. Take down 32 and maybe 40 (sorry, just because they passed away while playing doesn't make them all tie greats. We have too many retired numbers, honor them with statues or something instead).

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bullshit hot take alert!

9. HTown2017Champs

We can agree to disagree. Something about them just makes me like Altuve and Bregman more. That's just me. Correa is called Showrea for a reason, I'm just not so big on that. As for Cole, well, he seems like a future HoF'er. Absolutely filthy stuff, and great location for someone who throws that hard. But that's just me.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So stop trying to peddle your bullshit as fact. “I heard so and so doesn’t work hard...”

At least you’re acknowledging that these are just made up opinions based on made up fan nicknames and other non-sequiturs that really have no role in an educated discussion.

You just end up coming off as the typical band wagoner who likes a guy when he’s hot and dislikes a guy when he’s struggling.

crose likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

Correa was having this type of season before he hurt his finger swinging, then diving into 3rd base vs the Jays last season. Remember he had hit 22 homers before the all star break with an ops of .978.

His back discomfort needs an entire offseason and it was probably bothering him even before the DL stint. What I'm worried about is McCannon ball's speed. He seems to not be as blazing fast as he was at the start of the season. He was a blur.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Correa is to Berkman? That's not an opinion. That's just stupidity. Correa has been working towards this his entire life. He's having a bad season but that's no reason to s*** on him and his drive to be the best. There's way more evidence that he's on a trajectory towards greatness than there is that he's a lazy bum who just relies on natural born talent...and that this season is just a minor speed bump along the way.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Reeks of a "my friend, talk baseball" type post...

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah...that is a terrible comparison, they couldn't be more different. I will say I do think Correa is more likely to bolt for a LAD, NY, etc. type team and he's even said in the past he grew up wanting to play SS for the Yankees. Factor in his fiancee looks like a diva who would love to live in LAD or NY and I think it's highly likely he won't be resigned here.

15. vince

vince Member

Imagine if the Astros had traded Bregman and company to the White Sox for Chris Sale.... We’d have a lot smaller window of opportunity.

Chris Sales is likely going to win the Cy Young this year. But Bregman has thrust himself into the MVP race outside chance candidate. I am very happy Luhnow stood his ground.

With Verlander, Cole, and Keutchel we have our three man rotation in the playoffs. McCullers and Morton make our bullpen that much better.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Assuming he does not go on the DL again this season, I expect Correa to figure it out and get his confidence back. Has too high of an IQ and contrary to escobar's belief, works as hard as anyone on his craft. He is not in a good rythym now but I fully expect him to bounce back sooner rather than later. Back injuries are no joke. But alas, continue with your hot takes.
    [​IMG]

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't doubt that at all and it wouldn't surprise me in any way. Has nothing to do with his talent or his drive. To say, though. that he's one of those Berkman types is just insane.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looking back at the Bregman trade thread, somebody didn't like him because he wouldn't acknowledge them at a store... and came off as a prima-donna.

Now, a stellar season and cute dugout antics... he's as beloved as any Astro.

All I can say is fans are probably the worst judge of an athletes character or what their true intentions are. Bregman may not want to be a career Astro. Correa may end up being overwhelmed by a huge offer. They may all leave regardless.

They're guaranteed to have the both of them together for the next 4+ years... where a ****-ton can happen during that time to sway all of this one way or the other. 4 years ago the Astros were still one of the worst teams in baseball.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, that trade was entertained at a time when they didn't have Verlander or Cole.

Luhnow eventually got those star pitchers and didn't have to give any of the key guys up... but there is no mistaking that they needed a Sale-like trade to push them over the top and open up their window of opportunity (however small).

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Oh I agree - when Bregman was talking s*** on twitter when he was struggling and was part of trade rumors everyone was ripping him. Now that he's playing at a MVP caliber level, everyone thinks his antics are cute now.

Obviously, it's an opinion and one that is based off nothing more than a couple quotes where he's talked about liking the Yankees and the city of NY in itself but I feel he's the most likely to not be resigned. At the end of the day we aren't keeping Springer, Bregman and Correa on top of Altuve anyway...