1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BREAKING] Landon Donovan to Retire after MLS Season

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stipendlax, Aug 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He was a good player. Let's see what announcements he makes after his retirement...

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Gay. :eek:

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Breaking news?!?
    My first thought as well, but if so, would have been brave for him to come out while still active. He did a lot for depression/burnout when he spoke about that topic.

Congrats on the great career, LD! Hope you enjoy your retirement!!

5. Beavis Stiffler

He's going to come out of retirement multiple times like what Brett Favre, Michael Jordan, and Sugar Ray Leonard did.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Congrats on a great career, LD. I didn't always agree with the way he did things, but there's little question that he's the greatest American player of all-time. I think it's a bit early for him to call it a career but I'm sure he has his reasons. I'm not going to be a jackass and speculate on reasons why, especially ones that are no one's business.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LDnPIq3c0Vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YQEPyv7RtgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aIWECh5rGQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#6 leroy, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

For someone who's relatively in the dark, can you fill me in on some of the rumored reasons behind his early retirement??

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we're all speculating on ATW's initial post.

Hoping LD finds happiness and success in his post-soccer life. Hard to believe that it has been 12 years since he burst on the scene in his first World Cup back in 2002 (and 15 years since his U-17 days). He's pretty much had the focus of American soccer squarely on him for much of that time up until here lately. Hoping the "next Donovan" has more supporting pieces around him so the US can take that next step on the world stage.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Major rep to leroy for posting Landon sticking it to mexico where the sun don't shine!

A photo of one distraught mexican fan over this news:
    [​IMG]

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Especially in the ivies!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/TA5hfPTZvRU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/TA5hfPTZvRU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Good riddance, tubby!!

Correct. :eek:

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, throw a bag of your own piss at him! Maybe some batteries in retaliation!

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I can't say that this is too surprising. After the "sabbatical" you had to wonder if he really wanted to keep playing. Being left off the World Cup team may have been the last straw.

13. Beavis Stiffler

Donovan will have two more games to play for now. The Galaxy advance to the Western Conference Finals and play against tonight's winner between the Seattle Sounders and FC Dallas.

I would like to see Landon Donovan's LA Galaxy vs. Clint Dempsey and the Sounders. It's special because this could officially be the passing of the torch in U.S.A. soccer if Dempsey's team can beat Donovan's team. Plus, I don't like watching FC Dallas win the MLS Cup.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Glad to see him go. Too much ego. But I would like to see more Americans than Germans on the team next go.

15. Beavis Stiffler

A great matchup tonight between the L.A. Galaxy and the Seattle Sounders. It starts at 8:20 pm CT on ESPN. This is the decisive 2nd game of the Western Conference Finals with the winner advancing to MLS Cup against the New England Revolution, who won the Eastern Conference against the N.Y. Red Bulls. The Galaxy leads the aggregate goal series 1-0.

[​IMG]

For USA soccer fans, it's Donovan vs. Dempsey. Who are you rooting for?

[​IMG]

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Never will I root for the Galaxy or any team from LA... later Landon!

17. Beavis Stiffler

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vymju5d__Co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Beavis Stiffler

Well it looks like MLS and AEG will once again setup a "Hollywood" type ending for Landon Donovan just like they did with David Beckham.

I feel bad for New England. They're a good team but they have this curse when they play in the MLS Cup Finals. The Revolution's record is 0-4 in MLS Cup championship games.

[​IMG]

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think New England has a chance. I love Lee Nguyen and Jermaine Jones controlling the midfield

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Let's send him out a loser. Mullen must remain greatest mls player ever.