1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Breaking] 5 HPD Officers Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Houston Police Department responding to report of several officers shot
    Updated 5:46 pm CST, Monday, January 28, 2019
    • [​IMG]
    Photo: Jay Jordan/Houston Chronicle
    IMAGE 1 OF 12
    An officer rushes along South Loop in Houston to get to the scene of the shooting and assist.

Multiple Houston Police Officers were reportedly shot in southeast Houston Monday afternoon after an "encounter with a suspect."

The incident occurred at about 5 p.m., according to police, in the Pecan Park neighborhood, near Harding St. and Fennell.

Details about the incident have not been announced, two law enforcement sources said five officers had been shot.

Their conditions are not known at this time.

According another law enforcement source, one of the wounded officers was shot in the face.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, union officials and medical personnel are on the way to the scene.

"We have had several officers shot please pray for officers on the way to the scene now more information to follow," Acevedo wrote, in a tweet posted shortly after the shooting.

A suspect is reported dead at the scene, according to HPD, as a host of officers, medical personnel and others rushed to the site of the incident.

Two LifeFlight helicopters could be seen landing in the area, as ambulances rushed other officers to local hospitals.

Houston Police Officers Union Joe Gamaldi said that five officers were shot.

This is a breaking story

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Prayers go out to the Houston Police Department

3. Roc Paint

HPD doing a sweep of 20 square blocks in southeast Houston. I would like to know how many unrelated arrests are going to be made during this.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Hope the officers pull through.

5. body slam

body slam Member

3 in stable condition, 2 critical

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am wishing them the best.
    This sounds like a real life version of a TV shoot out

I hope no one else was hurt

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  7. MystikArkitect

One shot in the face.

Man wtf happened.

8. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Not trying to spread rumors... but I heard one cop is dead.. anyone see anything on tv about it?
    Unless I heard wrong

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Art:

No officer has died. Folks are trying to start those rumors.

At 4:15pm, a narcotics group with the HPD was working an investigation involving the sales of narcotics out of a residence on the block of 7800 Hardy Street. Responded as a team of about a dozen narcotics officers and half dozen patrol officers. Patrol officers were there to provide support & uniform presence for this operation.

Shortly before 5:00pm, narcotics officers attempted to serve a search warrant. They announced themselves at Houston Police officers while simultaneously breaching the front door of the residence while the marked police unit also hit the siren/lights to make sure they knew officers were there.

Immediately upon breaching the door, the officers came under fire from one or two suspects in the house.

As a result from the exchange of gun fire, we have five officers injured, four were struck by gun fire. Two are currently in surgery for gun fire sustained & in they're in critical but stable condition.

Two other officers were shot & will remain hospitalized for 24 hrs for observation. They were struck by gun fire and are expected to make full recovery.

One officer sustained an injury during gun battle.

Once the officers breached the door & the gun fire began from the suspects, one suspect retreated momentarily to the back of the room and then came back and again engaged the officers.

Two suspects were pronounced deceased at the scene from return gun fire.

This all began because a neighbor had the courage to say 'We're not gonna put up with this. We think they're dealing dope out of this house.' We don't ignore that. We immediately pass that on to our narcotics division. They determined street level narcotics dealing, black tar heroin was being dealt out of this.

Both officers were struck in the neck by gun fire. They came under fire right away.

To the media right quick, I just got reports a minute ago someone already found the house of one of these officers & showed up. That is irresponsible. These are narcotics officers that work under cover. They don't need the media out in front of their house. It's not helpful & it's not appropriate. If you're that station, get out of that area. They work undercover.

Officers:
    Age 50; sergeant, transported by ambulance.
    Age 50; Life Flighted
    Age 54; Case agent; He's been shot several times in the line of duty. He's 54, case agent on this case & was there on the front lines. He's 54 and he's been on since 1984. The first once since 1993; the second since 1991.
    The other officer that was Life Flighted age 54 & 40 years old, those two are in surgery. The last one is 33 and transported by ambulance.

Joe Gamaldi:

"First of all, let me thank the community. The outpouring of support has been amazing. It shows why Houston is the greatest city in the world. I want to thank Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who already contacted us to make sure these officers are doing alright. I want to thank all our partners at HFD, all the officers out at the scene who played a crucial role in getting them down here and certainly the medical staff, the world class medical staff here taking care of our officers.

But now I want to speak on behalf of the 5,200 brave men and woman of the HPD and the other 800,000 police officers that are working these streets every single day, putting their lives on the line. We are sick and tired of having targets on our back. We are sick and tired of having dirt-bags trying to take our lives when all we're trying to do is protect this community & our families. Enough is enough. And if you're the ones out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy, just know we've all got your number now. We're gonna be keeping track of all of y'all and make sure we hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers. We've had enough folks. We're out there doing our job every day putting our lives on the line for our families. Enough is enough. Now please keep these officers in your prayers.

Art:

(2 or 3 suspects?) 2 suspects shot.

(Weapon?) Semi-automatic.

(Tell us about those suspects?) Narcotics activity was going on at that residence, specifically the sale of black tar heroin.

Semi-automatic pistol. 4 officers shot. 2 critically in surgery, both shot in the neck. Both are stable. One was an injury not from gun fire. Knee injury.

(Friendly fire?) We don't suspect anyone being shot by friendly fire. I don't expect because our people are really well trained. If an officer was shot by friendly fire, the only people responsible are the people inside that residence that decided to take shot at police officers executing a lawful search warrant.

#9 J.R., Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Beaumont scene in Season 1 of True Detective comes to mind.

11. Roc Paint

Just Say No

12. Buck Turgidson

This is bad. I hope the rest of this is good. Damn.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That Joe Gamaldi rant was pretty strange. I don’t necessarily see the connection between police being targeted on the streets and police getting shot serving a warrant. Obviously I’m concerned for the officers and glad the suspects were killed, but it just came off as tone deaf to me.

Nook, B-Bob and Rocket River like this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We needs robocops. Don't need officers getting shot.

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

RoboCop was an officer who got shot to bits though. Unless you mean an ED209, which plus a heckuva deterrent, but maybe not the most stable of law enforcement platforms.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

The previous is not meant to make light of the real life situation. I obviously hope for the best for the officers and wish for full recoveries for all of them.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Don’t really like the sound of that.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Strange story, neighbor comes out and screams we are not gonna put with this dope house anymore so then swat shows up and gun fire erupts. The chief of police is now very sensitive and is threatening anyone gossiping about this situation online will face consequences "we have your number".

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Look up stuff like Fusion Centers and Citizens Patrols for more info on "them having your #". Harassing people just bc they post something online or have their own non-state funded opinion?

20. conquistador#11

Commented on this news in the D&D but I thought the following is very appropriate for the topic,
    Rules 5,7 and 8.