1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Braves ran Andrew Jones through waivers?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by liamrock, Aug 3, 2006.

1. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

I know, not really that newsworthy, as a lot of clubs run their high-priced studs through waivers....but I'm wondering if the Astros would even consider a deal for him......with their below .500 record, they would be ahead of the big guns....we'll see

BTW, I got this from mlbtraderumors.com....it's also on Buster Olney's blog this morning on ESPN.

Here's a link to the original story

http://www.eagletribune.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_215064533

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

if the stros could get andruw, they'll win the wildcard

3. ak47

ak47 Member

Jones makes $13.5MM next season in the last year of his contract. He'll turn 30 in the beginning of the '07 season. Andruw's .350 OBP and .514 SLG are right in line with career norms. Baseball Prospectus expects him to remain at this level until about 2009. Remember, National League teams would get the first crack at Jones if more than one club puts in a claim. I could see the Cardinals and Astros putting in claims. If the Braves can't make a deal with the team that claimed Jones, they can always just pull him back.

For a good summary of how waiver trades work, consult Steve Phillips's article from a year ago.

MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

4. wood

wood Member

A.Jones would be nice. An outfield of Wilson, Jones and Berkman sound real nice. 13.5 m next year is not that much. I actually would rather have Jones than Abreu. Astros should claim him and try to work out a deal. For many Astros fans who lost belief after the trading deadline, this would bring them back!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're gonna do that, anyway.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No way could we come close to offering a package like the Red Sox are proposing.

Coco Crisp is major league talent and is better than any center fielder or center field prospect that we have. Hansen could be a great set-up guy and Lester was the second highest pitching prospect behind Papelbon in the Red Sox system.

We'd have to mortgage all our minor league talent to even have a chance at Andruw Jones.

7. Major

Major Member

The question is whether the Red Sox are serious or not. He can't be traded to the Red Sox because there are too many other teams that have rights to claim him first. So they could just put that out there to discourage Atlanta from trading him to anyone, hoping Atlanta will think they can make that deal in the offseason.

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

You are quite the optimist Max.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

36 more wins is all it takes.

btw, only 7.5 back of the cards with 7 left against them; i'm not even ready to concede the division just yet. easy august scheduled while the west beats up on itself... it's gonna happen. like, david ortiz in the bottom of the ninth gonna happen.

10. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

i love the optimism. i didn't give up the past 2 seasons, this one icertainly had (and have) my doubts, but as long as they stay within striking distance and give me some hope (even a false sense of hope :D ), that's all i can ask as a fan.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i am. but this one doesn't take huge leaps of optimism. can a team anchored by roy oswalt, roger clemens and andy pettitte finish the game about 4-5 games over .500, ya think? because frankly, i think that's what's gonna win the wild card. my answer is clearly yes.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

currently, i'm torn on who i want to win when the Cards play the WC contenders. on the one hand, Cards losing means we're closer to the division (assuming we are winning). on the other, if the WC teams are winning, it means we're not gaining any ground on the WC. since the WC is easier to catch up to, i almost feel like i should root for the CArds. :confused:

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

MLB teams put players through waivers all the time. It's no big deal. They just want to see who's biting. Jones will not be an Astro. Get it outta of your head.

14. MykTek

MykTek Member

we were suppose to get him if we were able to deal oswalt to boston, and boston would send him to alanta for jones and we would get him or something like that.... i forgot, it was on realgm.com a few days ago...

15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

No we were not. You got some bad info.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I would hope they put a claim on him. We could certainly use him to better our chances at winning with his silver bat and golden glove.

17. MykTek

MykTek Member

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

realgm is a joke.

19. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I am with you.

20. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member