1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brain types

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This might be GARM eligible but just in case it's not I'll post it here.

http://www.braintypes.com/

I first heard of this on the Rockets forum that real site, a poster there talked about brain types, at first I thought he was crazy then I thought he was some sort of psychologist because he made a lot of sense sometimes. I did a little google search and found that site, so I guess he gets his information from that guy. That poster is a HUGE T-Mac fan, I mean he's a Magic fan that posts a lot on the Houston board just because of Tracy McGrady. His handle is Iggyemu if you want to check him out, the quality of his posts is excellent IMO so if anyone has an account there try to get him to come on this site.

Do you guys put any merit into this "science"? Jonathan P. Niednagel runs this site and has been hired by teams in the past to help with their scouting department and player development. He once said Ryan Leaf would fail badly as a quarterback, that Kobe Bryant and Shaq would never get along because Kobe would never accept his side kick role even though his brain type is that of a side kick, he encouraged the Suns to get Rex Chapman because he would hit clutch shots for them, said Tom Brady will be better than Drew Bledsoe, right now he says that Carson Palmer will not be a great QB, various other claims as well. He's been right A LOT and I heard the NBA and NFL have banned him from saying anything about players until after they're drafted. Something like that, hmm interesting?

He once saw a Tracy McGrady video when he was playing in high school and said that he is the closest player to Michael Jordan that he has ever seen because he is the only player he's ever seen to have his brain type along with comparable basketball skills. He actually encouraged the Magic to give him that huge contract even though he really didn't do much in Toronto to deserve it. Earlier today I found out that Yao Ming has the brain type of Kevin Garnett, believe it or not, once he's comfortable in Houston/NBA/US I think we'll see the same Yao we saw in the Olympics. We must have something REALLY special in Houston so let’s stop with the trade Yao talk please! I don't want to see him explode on another team. We have one guy who has the same brain type as Albert Einstein on the Rockets, Dikembe Mutombo!!!

He gives Steve Francis the entertainer brain type which I agree with 100%, he also give Lebron James the exact same brain type and he's probably right on with that too. If some fans around here understood that maybe Francis won't catch so much flack, he won't ever change and he doesn't have to. Turns out it's very hard to win BIG with those guys, winning some is easy but for those guys to win big they need a lot of help. That's probably true...

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

It has some merit, but as we've seen with Tracy McGrady's performance last year, it's not everything...nor is it necessarily 100% accurate. A Michael Jordan type player would never slack off during a season and then come out and admit it to the press; instead, he would work har dall season and try to build his team to becoming one of the best, as Jordan started to do in the mid-1980s. So really, one only needs to look at McGrady for proof that it's not all it may seem.

3. JumpMan

I agree. Brain type doesn't guarantee anything though, their brain type is, according to him, the best brain type for a basketball player to have. Larry Bird, John Stockton, Shaq, Jason Kidd along with Michael Jordan all share it, that brain type doesn't feel pressure in the the clutch and as we've seen from McGrady THIS SEASON, he's right.

This concept is very interesting to me, maybe it's because of what he thinks of Yao and T-Mac.

4. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

I'd buy into but when you have Shaq mentioned the that brain group???
    hard to imagine...:eek:

5. JumpMan

Scoring is not his game when he's in the clutch, he comes up with clutch rebounds, blocks, defensive plays all the time though, and nobody will forget "the lob."

I guess nobody else is that interested in this...

6. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

The scoring is what I was leaning more toward. His bricks at the free throw line at the end of games to be more exact. But I see our point on all the other parts of his game stepping up.

and yeah, I guess nobody else is...

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I figured if I didn't have anything nice to say, it'd be better to say nothing at all. :p

8. JumpMan

HAHA! Thanks... I guess.

dreday, Shaq misses those same free throws in the first quarter, now if he was missing dunks...

9. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

JumpMan, why did you start a thread like this. You introduced me to a new topic that just killed my entired afternoon's time. :(

10. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Interesting I did this test a few minths ago and I have the same Brain type as Julius Erving :)

I'm an NF type -
    NF-- Julius Erving, John Olerud, Jerry Rice
    Speech and hearing intonation, coordinate fine and gross motor movement with fluidity

11. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Interesting I did this test a few minths ago and I have the same Brain type as Julius Erving :)

I'm an NF type -
    NF-- Julius Erving, John Olerud, Jerry Rice
    Speech and hearing intonation, coordinate fine and gross motor movement with fluidity

Pretty accurate I guess, they call me the "dancer man" when I play BBall - the moves I do sorta look like dancing. And I'm a decent dancer too :D

12. JumpMan

Took that test too, passed it with an ISTP brain type, same as T-Mac and Michael Jordan. :eek:

artful with machines, tools, and hands; seeks action and excitement; superb tactician—seizing the moment; athletic, competitive, witty but usually not wordy; street smart; ever-thinking; can be intense with deep convictions; adaptive; fine motor skilled.

Somewhat accurate.

Same as Shaq's though, that sucks, watching the Heat game right now and he could of put me in a coma with the shot he gave Pollard.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Danny Ainge uses Neidnagel to "brain type" potential draft picks. So...... in a sense, one could say that it hasn't really worked out. Aside from that, many NFL and NBA general managers have used this method to help evaluate the players.