1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bradley Beal?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 123Rockets, Apr 21, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hate saying this about Martin and Lowry, you can find other players like them or better, alot easier than you can finding a potential superstar. For Portland, it sounds much more enticing to get a player, like Drummond, Beal, Lamb, or Barnes with point guard, like Dragic, Lin (possibly), Nash, and Calderon (on the block). Honestly, I think Martin has plateaued, while Lowry is very close to reaching his potential .... though it's not enough to turn a team around in fact. I don't see Portland getting, any higher than 5th - 6th with the roster above.

Everyone thinks alot of people are high on Dalembert, but fail to remember his inconsistency and how he faded down the stretch.

2. it's our time

it's our time Member

Why would a team that has a high lottery pick ever do one of these trades listed below?

"HOU 1st + Lowry and Martin for the #3 pick and a filler."

"Lowry + 2 first round picks may get it done."

"Both our picks, Lowry, maybe Scola."

If you were a Rox fan and we had the #3 pick in this year's draft...what would you do if you read on espn.com that Morey had just traded the #3 pick to NY for Jeremy Lin, Martin (who somehow was playing for the Knicks) and the #14 and #16 picks? It would be a bad day for Morey here on CF.

Don't you think that there would be a 1,000 posts on here within the hour calling for Morey's head!

3. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

On Portland Boards, they were content in recieving Lowry, Martin, Dalembert, 16th for their 6th, 11th and Nolan Smith

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's irrelevant unless the GM feels that way, some were content with it.

There's a risk they could pass up a future superstar.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm sure they would. We'd be giving up a lot. Even when Portland has cap space cleared after July 1, I don't think it'd work, money-wise, anyway. They need cap space to re-sign Batum.

Why would they want Kevin Martin? They're paying far less for Wesley Matthews.

6. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

It's Our Time - AMEN!!

Everyone please stop with the "Let's trade the 12th guy on the bench for a potential perennial All-Star"

Just stop!

Again let me say...Kevin Martin adds NOTHING to a trade package. He's:

a) on the wrong side of 30
    2) an offense-only player
    c) has a ridiculous contract

What the he l l would anyone want Dalembert for? He's an average big man who doesn't change games. He has 1 good game, then follows it up with 2 bad-to-decent games.

And don't anyone dare say "because he's tall." Yeah well...so are street lights. You don't see anyone trying to trade for them.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

There's a possibility that they might let Batum walk. If they have shot at Gilchrist, or Batum asking price is too much (and he also wants to play for the Spurs).

http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/...d/158/aff/488/afv/topic/aft/4569/Default.aspx

http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/...d/158/aff/488/afv/topic/aft/4574/Default.aspx

Martin is a greater scorer than Matthews, but is he going to put the team over the top, more so. Possibly, but enough to turn them into a contender. Though, getting package of Dalembert, Martin, Lowry, and filler is going to handicap some of their off-season moves, while I'm not sure they could get out of the 1st round with that team. It's as risky as hoping that top 6 pick will end up as quality player and not fall into the all time bust category -- Bradley Beal, Michael Gilchrist, or Andre Drummond, yet they'll still have money to go after a studly point guard, like Williams, Dragic, or even Lin.

Again with Martin is he going to be outstanding upgrade over Matthews, it's arguably. Again, better scorer, but has more liabilities.

I agree with Dalembert, and you forgot to mention that he's also in his 30s and not necessarily getting better.

We are talking about 6th and 11th picks, here, that's alot of potential to pass up for players who aren't necessarily prime time. The Nets were getting flack for trading their pick for Gerald Wallace, even though he's a little older than Lowry, but about the same age as Martin.

I'm not sure you trade for players who are not going to push over the top very much. To be honest, that's why the Rockets are trying to trade them, partially because they cannot go any further in the NBA standings with them.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I watched a lot of Lamb this year but only 1.5 of Beal. But in my opinion Lamb has a lot of potential. It might be way cheaper to get Lamb. He could potentially fall 6 spots lower than Beal.

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Interesting thought... latest mock draft I was reading had the cavaliers taking Bradley Beal at 3.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/221194/2012_NBA_Mock_Draft_Version_10_(Pre_Lottery_Edition)

Assuming they do get that pick...is it reasonable for the cavs to trade this pick. My thoughts are...they are already young. Two high sophmore lottery picks starting next year (most likely) ...and with the owners claim that cavs will win a title before lebron...it seems he might be willing to add some veteran talent.

Jamison will almost certainly be gone... maybe Scola and our two first round picks or martin and our two first round picks for the no 3?

Its a stretch but I could see it. They will still get to add depth with the two picks...possibly being able to add lamb with the 14th (some say not too great of a drop off from beal) We could also spice up the deal by throwing in a value contract player in budinger...or if they prefer morris.

Just a thought...I think if a team is going to trade out of the top 5 it would be the cavs.

10. megastahr

I did just notice they have another late round pick ...so I am not sure that they would want 3 total first rounders...but they could always package that pick and the 14 to move up...just thinking out loud.

11. megastahr

kind of my thoughts...i didnt even see this until after my post...but this is kind of my thinking on why cavs might trade down. and draft lamb

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Lamb is high bust potential. He won't get down and dirty like Beal. Sure he looks great running up and down the floor getting loose on the break for a cram, throwing in a wide-open spot up 3.

But Beal is Mr. Nasty. He take the ball to the hole with aggression. He draws the contact. He gets to the foul line. That is huge. Beal will be one of the best players in this draft.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

So that means a team, like Sacramento, Cleveland, Portland, or etc are going to be less willing to trade down.

14. megastahr

what about dion waiters at 14 for us if we stay there?

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think once Davis, Robinson, MKG, and Beal are gone that someone may be willing to trade that next pick. Now there may be some flipping in the top 5 picks if somebody at 5 or 6 wants a shot at Beal or MKG and the team picking there has established young wings. And there may be a flip if somebody at 5 or 6 wants Robinson and the team on the clock already has a good, young PF. But that's about it.

Davis, Robinson, MKG, Beal should go in the top 5. I say top 5 because somebody is going to be stupid and draft Drummond. After the top 5, I think you could see several trades as teams might want to move up and take a "chance" on players like Sullinger, Jones, Barnes.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we need to package that Dallas 1st rounder along with one of our recent #14 picks (Patterson or Morris) for another mid-round pick this year.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Worst case scenario, he's an expiring contract. That has value greater than nothing.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That means more to teams who are over the cap and need to dump massive salaries. Portland doesn't necessarily need to dump salary at this point, while I don't even think they have any big salaries to rid themselves of. Moreover, even a team that does, still wants to acquire a player that can fit into their rotation.

Orlando, I could understand, but they are set SG.

Los Angeles, same thing, but they have more pressing needs than SG.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was just speaking in general not necessarily to Portland. Martin definitely has some worth. He is one of those players that are simultaneously over and under rated at the same time....just depends on who is talking with you.

I should have responded more thoroughly to the post to which I responded. Martin provides offense which is something most NBA players can't do, his contract isn't outrageous as it is expiring, and he is on the right side of 30 (for another half a season). That said, I don't think he is the centerpiece to any trades, but could be a nice filler.

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Kevin Martin is our 12th man? News to me. Last time I checked, he was a starter on our team and in Sacramento before he got injured and they shut him down.

He's not even 30. :rolleyes:

He is a 1 way player, but he is damn efficient. He could be a great fit for a team with a penetrating PG.

He is on the last year of his contract, and in case you don't follow trades that much, expiring contracts are worth something. Not to mention the new luxury tax system starting after next season, someone will definitely want his expiring to get under the cap.

Horrible all around post, but looking at your other posts, I'm not too shocked.