1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Free Speech Rally

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2017.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The video I posted above is them fighting with cops.

2. conquistador#11

good job boston. we can't even get 14,000 for a rockets playoff game with 1$ b33r.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So when the KKK took off their hoods they were brave or something?

5. dobro1229

So since people on the right never shut up about Antifa, I finally decided to research their background, ideology, and doctrine.

At least here in the US it looks like the Punk rock scene is the largest source for organization quite honestly. I'm sure @Deckard knows a bit of the punk scene in Austin. Knowing some of the guys i know who are into that scene, I could definitely see them as Antifa driven in their thinking.

But where does this stuff and the protest music really originate? It seems like mostly Europe, and Moscow which has a huge hardcore punk scene.

Everything I research and everyone I look up always seems to have a connection with punk bands. You look at their Facebook and instagram pages and 90% of it seems to be about that.

So what doctrine did I find scrumming through the internet so you don't have to? Most goes back to pre WW2 Italian and German resistance to Musselini and Hitler But had very little success and most gave Hitler an excuse to exercise MARTIAL law. That's my biggest concern here is that they continue to get used as an excuse on the right to continue the "both sides" argument.

Point is... yes their doctrine is rooted in pre WW2 communism, and social democracy political beliefs. But mostly.... it's about Punk rock. Back then, Antifa groups in Europe had thousands and thousands of people with leaders. They even had people inside the government of Germany that tried to help them get Hitler out of power. Do you see anything that resembles that level of coordination and cooperation in 2017?

I dont. Groups like Indivisible are much larger, more organized, and are actually building coalitions and training people to run for office. If you are a hard right person like Tellv, Bobby, etc I'd be more worried about them because they are organized and planning like crazy to take the House back in 2018 and they have the support of nearly all the Democrats as well.

Meanwhile Antifa is a gift to the right politically to create moral equivalency of some sort even though the only disruptive thing Antifa has done since WW2 is tried to remove Hitler from power. Now they are focused on opposing Trump for probably good reasons. Hopefully Trump isn't able to politically use them the way Hitler used Antifa groups in the 30's but folks like Bobby and Tellv are trying hard to push the narrative on the right that will allow that to portentially happen.

My guess is though... Trumps regime is too incompetent to execute what is necessary for that type of political support. What will save the US from facism more than anything will be upholding the constitution and the rule of law. Trumps ability to become a facist dictator starts and stops with him being able to get away with avoiding the rule of law. Rules like needing Congressional approval to go to war. The emoluments clause that keeps our leaders out of the pockets of other countries. And congressional oversite of the DOJ which has the ability to enforce the rule of law.

So no...Antifa will not be able to stop Trump from becoming a facist dictator. Only congress can do that. My anti facist support goes to groups like Indivisible who are actually working towards opposing Trump becoming a facist dictator rather than spending my time worrying about some punk rocker kids who will never have a name on the ballot.

#65 dobro1229, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    zksb09 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Either they don't have any self-awareness or a right wing troll runs Antifa.

Still not even 2% the moral reprehensibility that is Nazism.

7. Buck Turgidson

A friend of my roommate freshman year at UT had the last name Marshall, baseball player at Dallas Baptist or Abilene or some such, he came down to visit and had a Tarrant County sheriff's badge with him. Proceeded to intermittently patrol the dorm hallway, fully liquored up, letting *everyone* know that "I AM THE LAW".

It's martial, btw. Good post.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Marshall law? Just lol at the genius of some of the lefties around here.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I agree with your take on the Antifa. They are a gift to the right because they allow deflection from the original problem. They do some unacceptable things like burning the American flag and indiscriminate vandalism. Of course, they are not anywhere near the ballpark of the Nazis who will threaten the existence of minorities, Jews.
    Also, I am not convinced that Trump poses a fascist threat at this point. He lacks the support to subvert the democratic process and I think when push comes to shove, some Republicans will rein him in. There have been a number of analyses of this very subject and they have come to the same conclusion.
    Here's one
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/01/donald-trump-fascist/424449/

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. dobro1229

12. dobro1229

lol I know. Iphone spell check. Thanks.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. dobro1229

Comrad Texx I'm glad you are here to make sure I don't misspell a word for heavens sake. It's almost like you are a Nazi about grammar or something.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Weird post.

Yeah, because martial corrects to marshall. Ok.

15. dobro1229

You said cowards with masks. The KKK doesn't wear masks anymore. Not that hard to understand.

Actually my IPhone is pulling up Marsgakk now if you must know about my auto correct such that's such an important topic. I didn't know you worked for Apple. Why don't you put in a support ticket for me.

16. dobro1229

Deflecting like not arguing the point but changing to focus to iPhone autocorrect lol.

Seriously though, you are right about him not being a threat at the time. Mostly because in a country that is essentially run by big business, a Trump dictatorship would be bad for business. We already see corporate America taking some form of moral high ground opposed to Trump even though it might not last if he straightens up a bit.

The Mercers might be the only major financial backer he would have and the Koch machine would surely pull their support. I think the threat of becoming an Oligarchy is a bigger concern and it's obvious Trump obviously looks up to Putin's method of ruling more than he does Hitler. But here in the US Trump wouldn't control the money like Putin does. The money controls him.. at least for now.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Quit equating the groups. I dont have to mention both when making a comment. My condemnation of the nazi groups has been stronger than most.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

I don't get why everything has to be so black and white for some people. Nothing can ever overlap. Is it not possible for me to be against Antifa AND Neo-Nazis AND White Supremacists at the same time?

Example: Like if we flip the script and talk about basketball teams we hate. Can we (Rockets fans) not hate the Mavs AND the Warriors at the same time? Because right now, it seems like if I hate the Warriors, then I like the Mavs to a certain degree. Which makes no sense whatsoever. At least to me, it doesn't.

Our world is so complex and mysterious because nothing is ever black and white. If it were, then the color, gray, would've never existed.

B-Bob, Astrodome and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Their own words do so much to go against those who try to defend them.....but we won't hear from those white knights when it comes to them saying things like this I'm sure.