1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Free Speech Rally

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2017.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Either side ? Only antifa is there. And anyone who protests free speech with force is a facist. They should be called such.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I read the quote. He said "overall it was a good day for the city" and that the arrests were disordly conduct and assaults against police officers. Smattering of urine bottles thrown at cops.

I guess you are trying to spin this as non-violent or earlier that the group didn't go after police but the evidence and arrests directly contradict that.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ok, now attack PD. Can't trust them because you don't like them.

Already addressed the 27 (as did B-Bob). And this point back to - it's very hard. <0.1% arrest for misconduct is portrayed as "way out of control and violent all day" event.

4. tallanvor

I called the commissioner a political hack. Antifa attacks police . Not me

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good, balanced article from the Globe with lots of details, lots more than the attendees I know had been posting anyway.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ound-boston/IUaev6rwHP0qhbbcZhKa3I/story.html

People who want to label it horrific massacre can find a few details in there for themselves (like the urine-filled bottles, and angry leftists cornering people wearing MAGA hats -- which (the cornering) is shameful).

And people who want to see the messages of unity can find those in great supply as well (including left-leaning folks who stood up for the free speech folks), and the primarily peaceful rally and march of tens of thousands of various Bostonians (not known for racial harmony in general).

Also, the comments of the organizer were kind of heart-breaking. Sounds like, if you believe him, he really didn't want the right wing extremists to glom onto his event. Seems sincere to me. In that light, it sounds like the counter-protestors were more protesting C'ville's events and Trump's Tuesday meltdown than they were the actual folks in the commons.

Cheers.

EDIT: yes, @txtony, it's the same old song. If a source isn't labeling liberals as scum, then that source is basically erased from memory. I'm sure the Boston Globe will soon be on the same right wing scrap heap with the Boston PD. LOL (to keep from crying).

Amiga likes this.
  6. tallanvor

Great day for the city

7. Bandwagoner

It wasn't out of control, the police department obviously kept it in control. The separation between the groups was great. The main problems was when they had to remove the tiny group.

I think you and Bob are really stretching it though, I'd love to see how many are arrested per game at fenway, he didn't provide any numbers. How many are arrested at disneyland?

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

and he said "great day for the city". Your guess is wrong. Re-read what I said. The spin is one poster here saying it was "way out of control and violent all day".

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's hard. case in point again.

10. Bandwagoner

Possibly he said both?

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said “99.9 percent” of the estimated 40,000 anti-racist protesters “were here for the right reasons” and that “overall it was a good day for the city.”

http://deadline.com/2017/08/boston-...lliam-evans-donald-trump-protests-1202152452/

I just read quotes. Where did you get yours from?

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Agree, it wasn't out of control. I have no idea from games. My information is from Boston PD.

12. Bandwagoner

great, lets see the quote and compare.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yes, i didn't question that he didn't said what you quoted.. i don't bother to (you aren't bobby the liar, so)

from here (watch short video) ---> http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/boston-free-speech-rally.284800/#post-11272501

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, what are you, Trump with those pathetic nicknames? Be better than you are. We'll all benefit from it.

15. Bandwagoner

The main issues people have had with antifa like in california is when the cops basically were told to sit back and do nothing. You seem to be saying this is a great crowd where my logic says this was the cops planning and executing a protection scheme for the small group. They didn't go off when they were assaulted or had urine thrown at them. So for me the difference is the police, not the thugs.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Last I heard, it was a free speech really. Not exactly an alt-right/white supremacist march.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure the difference was the police, and for that reason Boston should be proud of how they handled the situation. Looking at their greatest hits collection, it could have been a LOT worse if they had been weak and allowed these crazies to get out of hand.

18. tallanvor

19. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

We'll see what the next iteration of the alt-right turn out will be called.

Violence, hitting, punching, throwing things is wrong. I understand how people get rilled up in these large crowds, but I still condemn it.

Bottom line is the the movements of BLM and protesting the alt-right have never had a message of hate. Some protesters, wrongly, act violently and illegally..they should be prosecuted.

Alt-right violence isn't a pot boiling over at a protest, it is an ideology of hate.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those don't look like AntiFa, just your run of the mill liberal that is hate filled and worked up into a frenzy. It's not good to start calling everyone AntiFa