1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bosh or Gasol: Who was better?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Handles

Handles Member

Gasol looked like a defensive sieve at times, but I think of it kind of like Harden. As Rockets fans, we know Harden's reputation isn't the reality. I think Gasol was a better defender than people give him credit for. That Griffin play almost isn't fair given their vast athletic difference at that time haha. He did get bodied though.

I think Bosh was the better weak-side shot blocker - I'll give him that. Gasol lost lateral movement ability in his later years (which wasn't great to begin with) so he wasn't as helpful with rotations. That said, Gasol still averaged more blocks than Bosh.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Peak: Bosh (in Toronto)
    Offense: Push
    Post Offense: Gasol
    Perimeter and Mid-range Offense: Bosh
    Defense: Bosh
    Post defense: Gasol
    Perimeter and Switch defense: Bosh
    Intangibles: Gasol

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Bosh was slightly better IMO. I think he would have done more with the talent Memphis had through Gasol years where they failed to win a single playoff game IIRC. I believe Bosh could have maintained a 10 year run of 20 and 10 numbers if he stayed in Toronto. Gasol proved consistency over longevity, although he did have on and off seasons where he missed a lot of games, but obviously Bosh's heart condition didn't allow him to continue his career POST Heatles production which was in the 20 and 7 range. He probably could have stayed very productive for a long time, especially if he became a Rocket.

Gasol had the better playoff performances through those Laker years though, but Gasol was #2 to Kobe while Bosh was relegated to a spot up, stretch 5.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Asian Sensation

Both are great. I’d probably give the edge to Gasol but I think Bosh is very underrated and kind of forgotten about. In Miami it was all about LeBron and Wade and with his career being cut short due to illness a lot of people forgot how amazing he was. I’m just imagining a healthy Bosh as our starting center. Drool.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Rudy T absolutely loved Pau before that draft.

I take Kemp vs Bosh, Horry vs Gasol is a wash.

6. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

People dont give Gasol enough credit for those Laker championships.

daywalker02 and JumpMan like this.
  7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i would say pau fairly comfortably. surprised by all the bosh picks. gasol could have legimately been finals mvp and even considered the best laker in the playoffs for one of the title runs (his series by series stats are great). his standing reach allowed him to affect interior shots long after he could jump, and his interior passing ability (along with odom's) was arguably the key that unlocked the lakers offense. and he could play volleyball with offensive rebounds with bynum. both he and bosh had times they could look ineffective and both didn't win much on their own (the fluke of memphis always being swept vs just losing in the first round like bosh in the east doesn't mean much to me) but gasol had a higher peak and a bigger playoff impact at his best.

arno_ed and JumpMan like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nearly the same damn player.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bosh was willing to defer to the other 2.

If I remember correctly the Big 3 record when Bosh sat was terrible compared to when Wade sat. I don’t know how to verify this though.

10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

And Gasol didn't defer to Kobe and the other Lakers? Don't know what you're talking about dude.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wut?

12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You stated Bosh was willing to defer to LBJ and Wade as if Gasol wasn't willing to defer.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree on the points made above on both guys' game.

Tie breaker:
    Bosh is into computer science and can code a bit.
    Pau is multilingual (Spanish & English), thought in an interview Kobe says Pau can play the piano.

Programming languages vs. Natural languages. This being Daryl's Rockets, math-ket ball wins, so edge goes to Bosh.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But Bosh didn't eve look at Morey's iPad.

TimDuncanDonaut and Handles like this.
  15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s crazy the amount of people that picked Bosh. Didn’t he score 0 points in a game 7 of the NBA finals game. He might be the most overrated player of that ERA.

Gasol is soo underrated it’s criminal. Dudes efficiencies were off the charts and he was the ultimate team player. He’s like the Spanish Tim Duncan. Just went about his business nothing flashy but wins.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bosh was absolute monster.

I'd take him over Gasol.