1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Boras spotted in Houston airport.....Harper??!!! Signed with Phils.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRocketfan, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets see if that still holds a month from now.

mikol13 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you think the Altuve deal is impacting Crane's decisions currently? Do you think picking up Verlander's deal impact his decision making going into last year?

I don't really care if the Astros sign him or not... but they are basically close to being a complete team, and if the owner feels a certain player benefits this team over the next 5-7 years, and happens to require a large salary to do so, I'm not going to overly criticize him (provided he doesn't strip down the minor league scouting system, or start refusing to pay slot money for draft picks, etc.).

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

If that 10/300 offer from WAS is still on the table Harper should take it. Being 26 year old free agent is a lot different than being a 27 year old free agent.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sit out the season.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would be utterly shocked to see Bryce Harper sit out his age 26 season and give up $40M+ for nothing.

Fyreball, mikol13 and CVcrew like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-gm-jeff-lunhow-says-172637430.html

"For Harper, the Nationals would have obtained right-hander J.B. Bukauskas, the Astros’ No. 8 prospect according to MLBPipeline.com, and two other minor leaguers, sources said. Catcher Garrett Stubbs, the team’s No. 15 prospect, was in play, and the Nationals would have received another, low-level, minor-league pitcher as well."

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but the Nats GM should be fired for turning that down (provided that ownership didn't tell him to turn it down)

Newlin and mikol13 like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ownership blocked it.

"The Astros had a trade in place for Harper on July 30, but the deal collapsed when Washington Nationals ownership refused to approve the move, according to major-league sources."

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

IIRC, at that moment, they were still within a reasonable distance of the Wild Card spot and the NL East. With the talent that team had, it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that they could make a run. Plus, they really seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion he was going to stay.

Whether he would have been the difference against the Sox is debatable. But I would've liked to see if he would've been the missing piece...and to have had the inside opportunity to sign him.

MadMax likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Let’s say the deal was Bukauskas, Stubbs, and RHP Cristian Javier. It would have been a fair deal, but I don’t think it’s malpractice that they didn’t accept it. The comp pick they will get (if they draft well) would be worth almost as much as JBB, and trading Harper would have all but eliminated any chance of resigning him, not to mention they weren’t 100% out of the hunt. I just don’t see much value in Stubbs or Javier.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/chris-russell-bryce-harper-has-made-his-decision

Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan speculates that Bryce Harper may have already decided which team he will play for this year.
    The never-ending Bryce Harper free agency saga continues with a couple of fresh rumors out of Philadelphia. Russell reported that his source indicated Harper had been huddled with his agent Scott Boras all week and emerged Friday in a mood to celebrate, presumably because his decision had been made. Russell is a talk show host in Washington, D.C. but was on the air with a Philadelphia radio station when he disclosed his information. Later in the day Bryce Harper commented "suhhhhh kiiiiiiid" on an Instagram post by the Phillies' Rhys Hoskins regarding the start of Phillies' spring training, leading some to speculate that Harper would soon be there too. The Phillies are a top contender for Harper's services, along with the Nationals, White Sox, Padres and Giants.

[​IMG]

#112 J.R., Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Harper truly has multiple $30+ million offers on the table, shouldn’t the players be complaining about Harper holding things up rather than complaining about the owners?

Snake Diggit, BigM and marks0223 like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think some combination of several things are going on here.

1) Some early posturing on both sides
    2) The players will stand behind the players.
    3) I dont really believe he has several offers of this type on the table. Even 1?
    4) Players just like complaining, particularly about owners.

16. Buck Turgidson

It would have been fun as as hell to watch...Beltran type stuff.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wonder how much Bryce will get

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This seems to be exactly the case

I believed all the reports that huge offers weren’t there but I was wrong

All the “lesser” free agents should aim their anger more at the top guys and the system, not the owners

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. astros123

astros123 Member

Padres are saving the face of baseball. Go figure, gets paid 300 million to live in San Diego. What a life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.