1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BoB Turning Over Play Calling To O.C. Tim Kelly

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Feb 25, 2020.

1. blackistan

blackistan Member

And after a few games he'll take back the play calling too bc BOB has to be in control of everything

2. raining threes

Obviously over 100 catches per yr.

Or have you been watching for the last three years?

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Never top 10 offense even with the two together. Might have been the it this year with a legit oc.

What r u even asking.

4. raining threes

My point is Nuk has been getting over 100 catches a yr under BOB the OC. How many more targets, catches would you have expected him to get?

I was pointing out a fact not asking a question.

They might become a top 10 offense this yr if the OL can stay healthy.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

100 catches mean jack sht if they are for minimal gains. BoB has been calling sht plays that yield sht gains hence y our offense was never top 10. Not all catches are equal, u r not gonna get top 10 catching a the ball and moving it like 2-5 yards per catch.

6. raining threes

How much.ore do you think Nuk could get? 2.5, LMAO, he did the.ost important things very well, like convert 3rd downs and his yds per catch weren't bad. WFV was the deep threat. Nuk worked the intermediate/underneath routes in addition to fades and back shoulder throws. Like I said before, how many more throws do you want going his way?

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

OC Tim Kelly on Zoom with media. Said Texans have a lot of explosive players w/unique skillsets. Said it's been exciting to see them come together and learn offense last few weeks.

— Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) May 20, 2020

Kelly: we’re in a unique situation w/virtual learning. But they’ve all been comfortable in front of the screen, and it’s been encouraging to see them learn.

Kelly: any time you take field w/multiple weapons in guys who can hurt defense in a lot of different ways, it’s an encouraging thing.

Kelly said he spent a lot of time in QB room last year working w/Deshaun Watson & co. Said Watson’s excited to get to work with the team on the field.

Kelly: Kahale Warring & rest of TE group are "doing a great job" working w/Coach Will Lawing. Expect for him to be on top of his game mentally and to compete for a job.

Kelly: I believe this is 1st time we’ve had all 5 starters back on O-line since we’ve been here. (When Tunsil-Scharping-Martin-Fulton-Howard started together, Texans were 5-1 in 2019.)

"It opens up the playcalling…We’re excited to have both of those guys back there."-OC Tim Kelly on having RB tandem of Duke Johnson and David Johnson.

Kelly on WR Will Fuller, V: All the conversations I’ve had with him have been encouraging.

#Texans OC Tim Kelly says the communication between players and coaches has been really "encouraging." Everyone seems more comfortable in front of a screen these days.

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) May 20, 2020

Texans offensive coordinator and new play-caller Tim Kelly on Zoom: 'When you look at the people we have in our offensive unit, we have a lot of explosive players, guys with unique skillsets, guys who have produced at a high level in this league'

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) May 20, 2020

Tim Kelly: 'We have guys who have won consistently for a long time scattered throughout that room. Those guys have produced with a great mindset who are coming in with a chip on their shoulder.'

Tim Kelly on calling plays: 'Anytime you're doing something for the first time, there's going to be a learning process. Being able to take those lessons and be able to improve it's a good thing.'

Tim Kelly on offensive line: 'I believe it's the first time we've had all five starters back since we've been here. There's a lot of chemistry that goes into that position. Having all five of those guys back is vital. It's a good thing and it's something we're excited about.'

Kelly points out that this is the first full offseason with the team for many key players on offense like Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) May 20, 2020

A lot of the stuff we’re covering right now, it’s the first time they’ve been able to really hear it in depth and it’s been really really good.

Getting Laremy and the line those training camp reps, those reps with the OL I can’t stress how important those are for an offensive line to come together and play as one unit so it’s a good thing we have all five coming back.

Tim Kelly on Deshaun Watson: 'Deshaun is excited. The communication we've had in this virtual offseason he's come in with a great mindset and really take grasp of the offense. He's doing a great job.'

Kelly: "As you’re calling plays or a part of the playcalling process, you want to make sure you’re seeing the game through the same set of eyes as the QB. That you have the same vision of the play when the play gets called. That is important as we continue to grow.

Yeah, there are things that Deshaun can get better at. We’ve talked about that with him. Coming out and being consistent. He’s set the bar high so it’s a challenge for him to be at that level every time he steps on the field.

TheFreak and red5rocket like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rats...i was hoping someone would ask if he had a play for 4th and 1 from inside their opponent's 15 yard line with a 21 point lead.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

They may be too young to freelance and get creative, especially after losing the deep threat. Scoring was not the problem. 24 first half points should have carried them. I do like wide open offenses. Always have. But it takes some time. When you have less talent, your scheme can win you games. When you have more talent, it may lose a big game for you. The question for me would be, who are you?

Uprising likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If a team scores a sht ton of points on your aging defense, and u can't muster anything back b/c of sht scheme/plays. u bet offense was a problem.

It's not about how u start, it's about u finish. 4 and something on your own side when u pussied out doing it on the enemy side. I could list a sht ton of things u could have blame offense for under BoB, but hey let's hope Kelly can finally create a top 10 offense..... something BoB have yet to have during his entire tenure with us.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Kelly is perfect for BOB because if the Texans start out slow, he can blame Kelly and take back the play calling duties.

J.R., dmoneybangbang, msn and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...he could do that with any Coordinator, as can ANY coach.

Uprising likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bob already has his list of excuses/fall guys

If the Texans struggle

1. New roster, tons of acquisitions, no continuity or chance to develop chemistry due to covid
    2. Offense continues to struggle - Tim Kelly is inexperienced and doesn't know what he's doing, i am taking back the playcalling, and I will need an offseason in order to build my own gameplan with all the pieces I've acquired
    3. Defense struggles - Anthony Weaver is inexperienced and doesn't know how to utilize the talent that I've given him, I will hire an experienced DC next offseason and we will realize our potential.

BoB is smart, he knows that as GM he needs to hire a couple of youngsters to OC/DC in order to blame them for not getting the most out of the players that he has acquired. It can't be that BoB has done a poor job at player evaluation and roster moves, it's that these rookie coaches aren't utilizing them properly.

J.R., Nook and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Honestly Ownership is so inept it really doesn't matter. As long as Billy Bob stays middle of the pack, He'll be here another 7 years.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. msn

msn Member

I hear you, and it makes logical sense.

But... We used to say this about Kubiak. Then he went to Denver and won a chip.

Meanwhile, we're still stuck with Oilers 2.0.

raining threes and Uprising like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What they really want is one superbowl win so they can go ultra conservative and cheap for years to come afterwards.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd settle for one super bowl win in my lifetime

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You better hope Cryogenic technology gets more advanced. That, or the Tampa water is the run off of the fountain of youth.

bobrek likes this.
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

My millionaire boss once told me. If you want to make somebody quit, give him more responsibility than he can handle.

raining threes likes this.