1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bloomberg says he's undecided on 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Sep 26, 2018.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I really like this interview, I would take him over Trump in a nano second, but is he too old to run in 2020? I believe he would be 78 in 2020.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/23/politics/michael-bloomberg-2020-cnntv/index.html

Washington (CNN)Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN's "Fareed Zakaria GPS" he might move to run for president after the midterm elections this year.

"Right now I'm only focused on the midterms," Bloomberg said. "I believe that the Republicans have not done what they should have done in terms of providing some counterbalance to the executive branch."
    He went on to add, "Afterwards, you take a look at it."
    Bloomberg, a former Republican and independent, has sought to put some of his massive wealth into this year's elections in an effort to boost Democrats nationwide. Bloomberg told The New York Times earlier this month that if he ultimately chose to challenge President Donald Trump in 2020, he would do so as a Democrat, not as a Republican. He also told the Times that he thought only a major party candidate could take the White House.

The report acknowledged the challenge Bloomberg, a billionaire and a centrist on many issues, would face in a party increasingly defined by more left-wing policies and politicians.
    "We'd see whether or not it's possible and how I feel, but that's down the road," Bloomberg told CNN. "You've got to take these things one at a time. Everybody's focused now on the midterms -- at least they think they are, and they should be. And then afterward, we'll -- there's lots of possibilities."
    In his comments to CNN, the former mayor also pointed to people telling him to make the effort.
    "It is a very heady thing when people yell 'run, run, run,'" Bloomberg said.
    As for Trump, Bloomberg said he disagreed with most of Trump's policies and "with the way he has tried to implement or initiate his policies," ranging from his frequent tweeting to his approach to trade with China.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Centrists don't win primaries.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

A billionaire who will show his taxes? What is not to like?

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They do fair better in Democratic primaries versus Republican's.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Saying you would take someone over Trump is saying absolutely nothing.

Also, besides his billions, who in the world gives a care about Michael Bloomberg? Who doesn't yawn each time he talks about running for president? After 10+ years, just shut up.

This is even less relevant than the Joe Biden 2020 chatter.

pgabriel likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

A centrist would be good for the country. Could help with all the hostility from both sides.

pgabriel likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But he's already been labeled a liberal by the GOP -- I mean, he actually spoke on HRC's behalf and said bad things about Dear Leader in 2016. :oops:

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No way he'll win so why waste the money?

9. pirc1

Didn't say he will win or even run, but if someone younger have similar positions, he would get my vote.

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

Love the idea, but 10-15 years too late.

11. pirc1

Yup, wish he ran as the GOP or Democrat in 2016.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok. :)

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I saw Bloomberg as a more lovable Hillary without the scandals (plus the successful billionaire man portion).

If he were twenty years younger, I would support him as I respect technocrats who try out solutions to ideas that either aren't popular or are misunderstood. He has conservatives who hate him from his rule as mayor (sugar taxes / trans fat ban) and he hasn't generated the get out the vote mentality from the other side because of the very way he governs (less heart, more mind).

And like Hillary, who really knows where his heart is at (the people vs his friends) and how he'll get there. That doubt for him is on a lower comparative scale as he already has everything and is more interested in vanity and legacy building.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He us of very sound mind. I understand his age is an issue but it shouldn't be.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He's probably just angling for a cabinet spot or doing some knowledge transfer so he can better evaluate candidates' campaign operations when they're asking him for donations in two years. Both he and Trump had all the time in the world to run for Alderman, Congress, Senate or the governorship; I'd like to at least assume someone as competent as Bloomberg has a more meaningful ulterior motive.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was mayor of nyc which by itself would be the 20th largest gdp in the world. By population it would be 13th biggest state in us.