1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bleacher Report] NBA Teams That Need to Blow It Up This Summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ouch.
    1. Putting the Houston Rockets on here somehow feels both unexpected and predictable.

This time last year, they were coming off a 65-win season they justifiably felt should have featured at least a Finals appearance. If not for an ill-timed injury to Chris Paul or an arctic cold stretch, the Rockets would've probably been in the 2018 championship round as heavy favorites.

But this isn't last year. Houston's win total dropped by a dozen this season, and the offense leaned into a James Harden-or-bust approach. Past concerns about not having enough touches to pacify both Paul and Harden resurfaced as the players clashed over the offensive style during Houston's second-round elimination, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta declared the early exit "unacceptable," and he apparently wasn't speaking in hyperbole. Sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that Houston general manager Daryl Morey has since made "his entire roster and future draft picks available in trade talks." While a Harden deal probably isn't happening, sources said Paul and Clint Capela could both be "more realistic trade targets."

Extension talks with head coach Mike D'Antoni also broke down, according to Jonathan Feigen of Houston Chronicle, making him a lame duck coach for 2019-20.

This seems like an overreaction, since all the Rockets did was lose to the Warriors—which, if you've been paying attention, everyone does. That said, this also feels like too much smoke to not spark at least a few fires.

Change feels imminent, and maybe it'll be for the better.

If Harden and Paul aren't bringing out the best in each other, it's far too costly to keep them together. Capela, signed through 2022-23, might also be expendable given the way he shrinks the floor as a non-shooter. Among Rockets rotation players, the big fella had the worst net differential this postseason (minus-10.2 points per 100 possessions).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2838711-nba-teams-that-need-to-blow-it-up-this-summer?utm

on edit: don't know where the number "1." comes from, some sort of weird auto-formatting going on there

#1 Os Trigonum, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    LUK3 and Ramo$e like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Well , if blowing it up means moving CP3 … I agree. But that's about all that has to go out the door. Him and his contract.

3. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

The only way to "blow it up" is to trade Harden.

Jbarrachina, RasaqBoi and Ramo$e like this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

You need Balloons to blow up. Without Balloons, how can you blow up?

I want nothing, I don't want Unrestricted Non Bird right. Unrestricted Non Bird Right is negative assets.

For instance, Bucks can offer Rivers or Faried $10 million dollars a year. 20 teams can offer Rivers $9.2 MLE. Morey can only offer him 5.7 million.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

At least 10 teams are interested in Eric Gordon, who has nice round face with typical hairstyle. "blow it up" is to trade Gordon.

No team is interested in Paul and Capela contracts unless you exchange a bad contract.

#5 BigBum, Jun 1, 2019
    PersianRocket likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Lol plenty of teams would take Capela and his deal. What you get in return tho is the issue

raining threes, ickaruto and topfive like this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Ariza expiring or Knight expiring contract is more attractive than Capela. You can attached 4 first round picks to blow it up.

Capela can't blow it up.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Trade CP3 just so Harden can stand around at halfcourt while our new playmaker tries to initiate offense?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Harden is the goat in that case. Dude averaged 34 a game “standing around” at half court.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#11 J.R., Jun 1, 2019
    AXG, Os Trigonum, Corrosion and 4 others like this.
  12. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I was dumb to sign CP3 to begin with, especially the extension of a long term contract given Paul’s age and history of injuries. The fact is, Harden is a point forward that runs the offense. He needs to be surrounded by shooters, not small aging PG’s with an average 3-pt shot. That not CP3’s game. Yes, we need other guys that can create their own shot but I’d just assume trade Paul for a SF and backup combo guard. We need a guy like Darius Miller or Royce O’Neal. We could sign a minimum guy like D Rose as the back up or perhaps use the MLE on a guy like Rubio. Then trade Capela for a guy like Randle that can do it all, and this teams stands a chance of advancing in the playoffs.

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

One is not enough, need 2 stretch bigs.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think you are ****ing with us the moment.

tc0330 likes this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

I like the players. I don't like the system. Isolation basketball is ultimately vulnerable in the playoffs. It is boring to watch even in the regular season, but it works. In the second season, it works for a while. Then you run into teams who defend well, shoot well, and pass like crazy. Ball movement finds the most open, highest percentage shot. Pounding the cover off the ball just bores me to tears. It works only a low percentage of the time. I wish the Rockets would dump this approach.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

We could run back the exact same roster and assuming Golden State returns the same team as well, we’d be one of maybe only 3 teams capable of beating them.

No I’m not advocating we run it back.

I understand that there’s no award for being close, but the media acts like the Rockets have been an utter failure and I find that insulting. The Rockets have been right there in what statistically is a tiny sample size of games played. So yeah, Morey may blow it up, but let’s not act like we’re the ****ing Trailblazers here.

Corrosion, Sanity2disChaos and Sajan like this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

It's ALMOSSSTT as if the media wants the Rockets to blow it up.

Media conspiracy.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we're blowing it up, then we'd better be trading Harden for Zion.

David Griffin is desperately trying to convince AD to stay, it wouldn't be impossible to get him to give up that pick.

CP3 can go play for the Lakers and with his best friend Lebron. I'm sure Lebron has enough power in that org to get it done.

19. Sanity2disChaos

Fully agree! The players would be fine if the system worked. It doesn’t. They need a new offense. A coach Change isn’t a move in the wrong direction. Then if we could add Butler (with a better offense) then I would expect a better outcome.

But honestly I like Harden at the PG. Dream would be Beal ,he would be perfect next to Harden.

solid likes this.
  20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He handled the ball 95% of the time. How does that bode well for the other 4 players watching him dribble?

solid likes this.