1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Panther vs 12 Years A Slave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 17, 2018.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Baggar Vance is not the archetype to celebrate...

[​IMG]

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't ignore anyone I like to read other people's opinions. I didnt mean to rile you up, lol.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

Yes there have been movies that have had positive black characters, but I haven't seen too many where the majority of the black characters displayed positive aspects. Characters like Bagger Vance are more along the "magical negro" stereotype line. Not necessarily positive.

The black supremacists, who are sometimes incorrectly referred to as "Afrocentrists", are definitely misguided. They don't care about black people or anybody else, except for how they can use these people to get to where they want to get to.

DreamShook and Fantasma Negro like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It doesn't matter

All I saw in this post is why are we complaining about Hollywood with all these black movies?

At some point we have to accept ourselves and stop looking at what white people have

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard that before, but I just don't see how characters who are seen as "magical" are negative. Usually it takes the form of the unappreciated genius trope.

I just feel like there are enough positive black roles in movies these days to where it wouldn't be seen as groundbreaking.

Anyway, the real reason to see Black Panther is because the character is awesome and has long been one of the more badass Avengers. I was really excited the first time I saw him and was looking forward to the movie but the ridiculous marketing that has it hailed as the first black superhero kind of took the shine off the movie for me. I can't stand manipulative marketing.....or people completely forgetting about Blade which is ridiculous given that after the flop of Batman & Robin in 1997 it looked like that might be the end of superhero movies. Blade is what gave back the comic book movie genre a bit of momentum.

6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Because at the end of the day it's a film that shows a postive portrayal of a minority in the super hero realm which is ultimately marketed toward kids and familes. Nothing wrong with that. Or in older people it strikes a cord with them having a character that represents them finally be shown on film as the lead in this current film universe. Kinda of like Wonder Woman was for woman in a leading role. I don't see why people have a problem with that. Or why people have a problem with the hype of this movie. And It's weird that you posted this on a fan forum of the Rockets having the same affect on Chinese and Asian fans when Yao Ming played. He represented millions of people and open the door even more to popularize the sport around the world. He was super hyped even when it took him a couple of years to become a great player. And you might not have cared, but thousands and thousands of kids saw themselves in him which you could say the same thing about Black Panther.

Invisible Fan and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Bobbythegreat

That's interesting about Blade.

Snipes was pretty diversified. He made some movies about race with Spike Lee. He did action
    He is awesome in Demolition Man.

He did market himself universally. All the biggest stars do, whatever race

We've transcend race long ago. Specially in Hollywood. If be blacks have any monetary/political ally, it's Hollywood.

All that ish about race and Hollywood is ridiculously stupid.

We're holding on to our misery because we choose to

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You don't have what it takes to be a black hero

9. TheresTheDagger

To his mind....yes.

10. Buck Turgidson

Other than half of the movies/tv shows about Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Middle East, Native Americans, no, there are no fictional accounts of white slavery.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If it doesn't matter what is the point of this thread?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's a bigger issue than movies.

We have to start moving forward

Plenty black movie stars so let's boycott the Oscars

Black coaches black quarterbacks black gms

Let's boycott over Kaepernick

We are the ones not moving forward on race relations and it's holding us back elsewhere

#72 pgabriel, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We should appreciate what we have more than what we don't.

We live in a healthy prosperous time. We use what explorers gave us to complain about Columbus Day.

Everyone just needs to move forward

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry for train of thought

You know what it is

There is a lot to appreciate about 12 Years. Like the cinematography. It's on different plantations, in the Swamp, in 1800s Baltimore.

It's a well made movie. What could be offensive.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn’t realize there was a huge backlash against 12 years a slave. It won Best Picture, didn’t it? Was this on social media and I just missed it?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I had FB friends saying they walked out at the beginning of the movie.

I'm like you did know what the movie is about right?

Edit: walking out due to upsetting subject matter.

Those movies can be hard to watch I'm no different. At the same time I like history so whatever.

So the issue became Hollywood only appreciated movies showing us in slavery or segregation in terms of awards.

The issue is as ridiculous as it sounds. I'm not being an ass but there aren't a lot of Oscar worthy black movies but there are plenty entertaining black movies.

The Oscars have made the attempt.

I think What's Love Got To Do With It was nominated for some Oscars in the early 90's. Maybe Boyz In The Good. Those were big deals. Notice subject matter.

It's a ridiculous black folk issue

#76 pgabriel, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  17. Fantasma Negro

I'm probably about to age myself but have you ever seen "The Toy"? If you can find it watch it. Not sure how everyone feels about him but it stars Richard Pryor. If you watch that movie and still don't get it then you just won't

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Boyz in the hood got nominated for screenplay. It's about kids in the ghetto struggling

But we like drive-by shootings so it's cool

Unfortunately last comment isn't sarcasm

I could go on and on black movie to black movie

The issue becomes racism when people just don't like the movie

Again it's just a movie

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

In all seriousness, the subject interests me because it's a study in black group think.

Like we like Selma but not 12 Years

Hmmmmm?

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be curious to hear folks' thoughts on the movie Glory