1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Panther vs 12 Years A Slave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 17, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't get what this movie Black Panther represents for black people.

It's just a super hero movie with a black hero. I'm not anti Black Panther, it doesn't interest me personally but Im just burnt out on comic book movies.

It's just disturbing that we don't want true uplifting stories about our past and think Hollywood is racist for making movies about slavery and then we blow up social media for this. As if it represents some milestone.

Tying this to the Pop thread, Hollywood has been making a wide range of movie types featuring black stars for years.

I just don't get it.

The reaction to 12 Years by blacks was borderline psycho

ipaman and Fantasma Negro like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

So called black people have no culture so they latch on to any "black" imagery to try and define themselves. What is the true comedy in this is the so called black people on social media bragging about how much the movie made/is making as if that money isn't going into the pockets of white hollyweird executives lol. I haven't seen it but I'll probably see it the same way I've seen all the other superhero cash grab flix, when they get to FX, because I am positive viewing the movie will not be a new awakening of my blackness. Its just a movie...and 12 years a slave was racist but I think that was kinda the point

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why was 12 years racist? Did it portray a historical inaccuracy that portrayed a group worse than what history states?

4. AkeemTheDreem86

5. fchowd0311

I'm pretty confused also.

Is Fantasma Negro actually black or is he playing a shtick?

Internet man. Poe's law is a b**** .

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

NO MORE STRUGGLE FILMS!!!

7. Major

Major Member

What are "so called" black people as opposed to regular black people?

8. fchowd0311

They are Russian bots posed as black people.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For some it's a black supremacy/black ethno-nationalist fantasy. For others, it's just a comic book movie with a really cool lead character that has been one of the more badass Avengers for decades.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't consider slave films and films about the civil rights movement "uplifting". They are just a reminder of how intolerable the USA was(is). Even though it is very important for people to understand African-American history, especially since we don't talk about this kind of stuff enough in school, these "struggle" films are the only films that studios make.

There aren't enough (big budget) movies of Black people simply existing in the present, in the future, in our imaginations.

Nook likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

Because why must we continue to visit slavery? Did you know that whites where enslaved in Europe by the moors and Brits used to abduct Germans and sell them into slavery? Where's that movie?

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I disagree. A majority of the films that turn into blockbusters with a majority of the cast being black are struggle films. There have been some recent surprises in "Get Out" and "Girl Trip" (again Black people existing), but can you think of some blockbuster films that have a diverse cast or have a majority non-white cast that have been made in the last 10-30 years?

I'll start:
    The Fast and Furious franchise.
    Creed
    Straight out of Compton
    Kevin Hart, Dwayne Johnson movies.

13. Fantasma Negro

My skin is dark but my race is human and I don't need movies, athletes or rap music to feel empowered. I'm empowered by my capabilities. My avi is legit coincidental, I've had it for four years, I really just like that pic

14. fchowd0311

Did that process happen for 300 years locking generations of families into a slavery lineage and producing one of the largest and profitable slave trade operations in human history?

It was a captivating story of a real life individual.

I hope Hollywood never stops making movies based on things such as slavery or the Holocaust. It's a grave reminder for us.

15. Fantasma Negro

What the **** is a black person? Color coded race is a social construct

amaru likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

I mean no one said you had to feel empowered by 12 years. I loved the movie because it plucked my emotional strings to the max especially with the caliber of acting and cinematography. If it didn't for you especially since this actually happened to an actual individual, I have to say that shows a lack of empathy and a hint of psychopathy.

I also think you don't understand that those people didn't chose to see their race. They were forced to.

#16 fchowd0311, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    pgabriel likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So if Hollywood didn't portray the past accurately that be better?

So much wrong with this mindset. Starting with it's just a movie.

The past happened. It's real. We will never be right until we come to grips and stop looking at materialism in white America as how we should be.

We can't run from ourselves

18. Fantasma Negro

Let that **** go. Read about it and move on. Why let billionares become trillionares off your emotions? The stories have been told

#18 Fantasma Negro, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  19. Fantasma Negro

I'm psychopathic because I have different world view than you? Ok

20. fchowd0311

Are you making an argument that we shouldn't watch movies in general because it makes " billionares trillionares"?

Be honest. You are saying some absurd things. Are you playing a shtick? You know the whole Poe's law thing.