1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire industrialist and conservative mega-donor David Koch has died at age 79

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mdrowe00, Aug 23, 2019.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

One more kock brother to go...

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Heres hoping the heirs are not as god awful as he was.

Some hope exists that our rapidly declining empire can survive the horror show that is modern conservatism long enough, until this generation finally dies off.

One step closer. McConnell next I hope.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's ironic is that he was pretty socially liberal. He just didn't give a **** about social issues because he thought the economy was the most important thing.

#5 rockbox, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The thing is, you never know what the total influence of dark money and 'bought' behind the scenes advocacy is. And, once the Kraken is released, you can't really direct where it will go. Astroturfing the Tea Party eventually gave us Trump, Libertarianism gave us Proud Boys etc.

In February 2012, during the Wisconsin gubernatorial recall election, Koch said of Wisconsin governor Scott Walker, "We're helping him, as we should. We've gotten pretty good at this over the years. We've spent a lot of money in Wisconsin. We're going to spend more," and said that by "we" he meant Americans for Prosperity.

Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hate to see it.

SamFisher likes this.
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Grave dancing is disgusting. Don't use petty politics as an excuse to act in a low-class way, liberals.

Silent_Bob, AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  8. Dubious

Koch pretty much danced on the grave of Planet Earth, so he earned it.

Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine
    Koch Family Foundations have spent $127,006,756 directly financing 92 groups that have attacked climate change science and policy solutions, from 1997-2017.
    https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/global-warming/climate-deniers/koch-industries/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dail...ade-their-fortune-and-the-influence-it-bought

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/us/politics/republican-leaders-climate-change.html

9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

The Clinton's strike again.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Earth: Checkmate.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

Wow this it truly shocking and disgusting to see someone wanting another human to die.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Climate change is real and people like him are evil for putting greed over the health of the Earth. I know some people worship the wealthy as if they are Gods though.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'll be honest. If someone like Trump or Mconnell croaked right now, I wouldn't feel the slightest bit of remorse or empathy. I don't know what Trump's youngest son's relationship with his father is but if it is close enough where Barron might feel depressed or sad, that is the only person I would feel bad for because he lost is father and he's an apolitical child.

I do struggle with this. I thought my empathy could reach out to anyone. I don't know if it makes me a bad person or not but I feel as if the things these people have done has made me believe they don't deserve empathy.

jboslett, arno_ed and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

15. Dubious

The Law Of Diminishing Returns has rendered disgust and shock as meaningless everyday emotions. Are you shocked and disgusted at the treatment of immigrants? mass murder with assault weapons? tax cuts for the rich in a growing economy with huge deficits? the dissolution of 70 years of Liberal Democracy alliances? the denigration of the Office of the Presidency into a narcissistic mountain of lies?

**** that dude and his pile of gold

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So does his will state who's going to inherit his senators?

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I bet you support the death penalty though.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

RIP.

James Reardon threatens mass murder at a synagogue, age 20.

Dmitriy Andreychenko walked into a Walmart with an assault rifle and body armor to insist on his second amendment rights, age 20.

Conor Climo planned to attack a synagogue and a gay bar, age 23.

Justin Olsen threatened violence against Planned Parenthood and federal agents, age 18.

Farhan Sheikh threatened to attack an abortion clinic, age 19.

Eric Lin threatened to kill hispanics, an old fogey at age 35.

These are just from the weeks following the El Paso Walmart shooting. Koch wasn't a violent right-wing extremist like these guys. But you can't hope to have objectionable right-wing ideology age out allowing beautiful liberalism to finally blossom. We have a new breed of conservatism growing now that will outlive the both of us. There will be among them another David Koch too.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member