1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UH peeps REALLY care about their TV ratings for some reason.

tinman likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

What exactly is that chart supposed to be telling us? From what I can tell, it's saying that UH games have a fairly decent following in Houston, mixed with a bunch of other schools, and virtually zero interest nationally. That doesn't seem unusual or unexpected.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

ESPN is paying pennies on the dollar for UH content that grabs just as much ratings as mid-tier Big 12 content, and even higher ratings than most Big 12 content in the Houston area.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Money makes the world go round breh.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know, I'm chilling over here in the SEC where we rake that **** in instead of worrying about who's watching what.

6. Major

Major Member

Sure - but ESPN doesn't pay just for the Houston area. They pay more for Big12 content because it gets equal ratings in Houston and much higher ratings in the rest of the country.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

National viewer average for games on ESPN(2)/ABC/FOX

Non-UT Big 12 games: 2.471 million viewers
    UH: 2.25 million viewers

Mind you, that Big 12 number includes all Oklahoma games, a "top tier" brand that scores consistently above the Big 12 average. I purposefully left off FS1 games as those have very poor viewership (about as poor as UH's ESPNU/CBSSN games) and there are very many of them that would weigh everything down.

So, TL;DR again - UH is serving up mid-tier Big 12 level numbers nationally to ESPN (and top-tier Big 12 level numbers locally) for about... what... 1/16th the price?

#1867 DonnyMost, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  8. Major

Major Member

Sure - but ESPN doesn't sign a contract with the Big12 for it's mid-tier games. If that's all it got, it would be paying a lot less. It pays for the top-tier games. The Big12 just sucks so much right now that they are showing a lot of crappier games these days.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what's the post Herman and big 12 invite rumor viewership prediction? what's the big must match games for next year?

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Is this sourced from an accredited ratings tracker? It's impressive but it's hard to put a huge amount of credence in numbers that come from a user on a different message board

Regardless of if this is accurate, this doesn't represent value given the non competitive nature of TV rights in college football. It's useful for UH if they were trying to get into the SEC where CBS is the primary broadcast partner. ESPN already has TV rights for UH like they do for most other conferences. You aren't going to double viewership by moving UH to the Big 12 and you now have overlapping games.

It'll take a few years for value in the new media age to be clear and that really begins and ends with streaming. You'll be watching a NCAA football game on twitter in the next 5 years but what does that mean for conferences? No idea. I would suggest people download the SNL app. It's the best example of use of library content that I've ever seen.

This is a question to bring up. It'll be interesting to see how TV and attendance is affected. I wonder if they will release any changes in the season ticket purchases? I don't think they have released the cross division opponents for next year.
    Conference: Tulane, SMU, Navy, Memphis, Tulsa, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown
    Non-Conference Games: Texas Tech (5-7), @UTSA (6-6), @Arizona (3-9) and Rice (3-9) in non conference.

Boren did a lot without consulting and getting explicit approval from the rest of the conference. They just let Boren go because he has the big 12 by the balls. It's how he has become the chairman of the conference and has made the big 12 commissioner his assistant. He constantly threatens everyone else by saying OU can leave if they want which will destroy the conference. The Iowa St AD had a lot to say about it. http://kxno.iheart.com/onair/n-a-52935/jamie-pollard-on-big-12-expansion-15213092/

You can still criticize the big 12 a lot without defending Boren. He's the Donald Trump of the big 12 in so many ways.

#1870 Brando2101, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  11. MystikArkitect

Yeah...must be nice not having people question your viability all the time.

If we didn't have to worry about throwing our ratings around...we wouldn't.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not as exciting as Louisville (Heisman - Lamar Jackson, ranked) and OU (Big 12 Champion).
    Combine that with UH being good and coming off a win vs Florida State, viewership should be high.

Next season would probably decrease viewership. We are also assuming UH will be a good team, if they are not, I assume fair weather UH fans would drop like mosquitoes being sprayed for Zika.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think it's newsworthy when UH is bringing in TV numbers both nationally and locally (especially TV numbers in a hypercritical market for the Big 12 like Houston) that rival or beat most Big 12 programs.

If the standard the Big 12 is holding their prospective members to is UT/OU numbers, then yeah, I guess it'll be a 10 team (or fewer) conference until it dies.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Pulled directly from sportsmediawatch.com and compiled by https://twitter.com/UHFootballFeed

I've pointed this out already. It's why the only way ESPN will support a UH call-up is if a non-ESPN property starts sniffing around the Houston area, or if UH comes with a package that includes some other non-ESPN property (BYU for example) that all neatly folds into a GOR extension and whatnot that makes the big cigars happy. Quite an uphill battle, but I'll celebrate TV ratings victories when they come regardless.

They'll milk the Tech game for all its worth in selling season tickets. They'll increase prices and tie it to a multi-game package.

Home: ECU, Memphis, Navy, SMU, Rice, TTU
    Away: USF, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, Arizona, UTSA

Rice and Tech and Navy are going to be 3 very well attended games.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If UH was as sexy as y'all want to make it out to be they'd be a valuable member of a major conference that wasn't the Big 12. Why hasn't that happened? Why does it have to be the Big 12? I'd like to see them somewhere else, and I'd like to see the Big 12 pay the troll toll for once.

16. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I think eventually UH will go to the Pac 12 or ACC. The Big 12 will crumble within 10 years.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's going to take more than just UH pulling good TV ratings to get into the PAC or ACC. For either one of those conferences to take UH, a number of factors will have to come together at the right time.

It doesn't have to be, it's just by far the most likely and beneficial scenario. The casual Houston area football fan is not nearly as compelled by UH vs. Washington State or North Carolina as they are by UH vs. Texas Tech or Baylor. The PAC has a problem wherein they would need a 14th program, and unfortunately there are no other viable candidates at the moment. The ACC is already an ESPN property, so there's a conflict of interest there, and there's a significant geographic hurdle to overcome as well. I'd like to see Tulane/Memphis and UH in the ACC or UH and SMU/New Mexico in the PAC. Odds will always be much greater that UH will end up in the Big 12 though, unless UH goes on to win 10+ games for another 5-6 years or something.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pac-12’s Larry Scott doesn’t expect Power 5 expansion “for foreseeable future. When might it happen again? Perhaps when TV contracts are up".

Pac-12’s Larry Scott on 16-team conferences: “I think it’s likely, I don’t know timeframe".

Pac-12’s Larry Scott hints to watch out when Pac-12 football/hoops TV rights expire in 2024. “We’ll be in a very unique position"

- Brett McMurphy

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Pac 12s TV Network has had a very difficult time catching on. They'll do whatever the consultants tell them to do when new media opportunities present themselves. They probably had the lamest round of expansion out of all of the conferences when they added Utah and Colorado. Unlike the SEC, Big 10 and ACC, they are only at 12 teams and have a lot of freedom to go after a lot of schools when they are available.

A lot of it will depend on the new UT AD and the vision he lays out for the school. The big 12 won't survive without Texas and it would take a lot of power 5 grabs to replace Oklahoma. The advantage of the big 12 is that they can make their own rules and aren't tied down in a lot of ways. I think that interests UT a lot but OU might just want to move to a traditional conference that has everything already locked down with how they operate. The problem is OU will lose all power in a new conference in the same way Nebraska has. It's too early to tell but it feels like the big 12 has the most versatility to adapt to the changing market because they don't have a pre-existing conference network brand and have a strong core of 10 teams. They can expand based on their specific needs once we know what those are.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

Screw the little 12 they are of no importance at this point they have no rep in the playoffs that conference hasn't been anything since 2009.