1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Post Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xhanif143x, Mar 30, 2015.

1. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

Who had better post moves Hakeem or Mchale. I think Hakeem had better post moves but would like to know clutchfans opinion.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Thit is sort of like debating who was better at dunking, Jordan or Dominique Wilkins. Both Dream and McHale were both amazing in the low post. Dream had a much better overall game than McHale and was far superior on the defensive end.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think fundamentally McHale had better moves since he didn't have to get off the ground. Dream was better, but McHale had better moves.

6. SK34

SK34 Member

you're asking this on a rockets forum...

7. baubo

baubo Member

McHale had the most textbook post moves. Dream had the most awe-inspiring post moves. In terms of effectiveness Dream was better simply because he was the more gifted player. But McHale probably created more value in his moves compared to his physical skills.

8. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

They are both part of the Rockets Organization.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hakeem had god-given instinctual post moves... which only he can really do.

McHale had amazing post-moves that he spent his whole life refining, but it didn't just automatically come to him.

Neither one will ever likely be truly emulated/replicated... but between the two, one could theoretically work their whole career and become like McHale. Whereas no matter how much money Dream takes from people in his training sessions, they'll never be able to duplicate what he did.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it's easier to decide if you re-frame the question and ask, "who would you rather guard, Hakeem or McHale?"

11. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

McHale was very good in the post, but benefited by being surrounded by too many star players to warrant a double-team.

Hakeem was consistently double-teamed throughout his prime.

In other words, in contrast to Dream, McHale was not even the biggest scoring threat on his team.

End argument.

12. omgTHEpotential

But still... He was really good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yXFIngeh6NY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Mchale really used those wide wide shoulders and long arms to their optimum ability. that wide shoulder frame really gives him space for his shots, especially his hook. His up fakes work so well because of his consistent hook but the minute you bite he's able to step through and use those shoulders create the space for his shot.

It's one thing Dwight is missing is an effective right handed hook. His left hook is much better but he likes to post up on the block that doesn't take advantage of his left hook.

Hakeem with his quick athletic moves and right hook from the middle opened up a whole new world of counter moves. D-mo is a dying breed of post players. He's got the deceptive moves. I just wish he had the power to go with it.

Hakeem had it all. Man I miss that guy on the court.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Hakeem > World

The man played with the speed and quickness of a much smaller person. He was able to play with leverage and power despite his lanky frame. He was a touch shooter AND a finisher at the rim. He could play for himself or at a whim open up the floor for his team. He played with instinct, desire and skill in one of the most athletic bodies we've ever seen on a basketball court. He was and is and will be the stick with which others are measured.

The DREAM, in every sense.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its similar to asking what is having good ballhandling, control of dribble left and right hand adept without ball ever being stripped and not turning it over. Or having handles to do crossovers, behind the back and between the leg dribbles. (Example: Ricky Rubio compared to Kyrie Irving)

Id say McHales post moves have more control and Hakeem had more aesthetic look (though Hakeem was not an intentionally flashy player)

If I had to go to one player to say "gimme a low post bucket" I'd go McHale. (Meaning his is "better")
    Dream >> Everything else McHale

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Notice who's delivering him most of those post-passes with ultra-efficiency and precision (only just one of the greatest all-around basketball players of all-time).

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Well stated. And not to mention that one could, and would, involve his teammates and the other defined 'black hole'.

BTW - - I believe KMc was 'the best 4 I ever saw'.

19. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

I have never seen Mchale played in his prime but I have watched Hakeem in his prime. I have watched clips of Mchale but he only had few moves in the paint but they worked very effectively. Hakeem was less predicable in the paint and he had great fade away and great hook shoots.