1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Beto is really Kennedyesque.

Nook and Harrisment like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that they will be available on youtube after the fact.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Almost as bad as the voter violation mailer in IOWA by Cruz. But this is norm for a scumbag.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Imagine thinking that pointing out that robo Tweets from a foreign entity is some sort of excuse for future unknown results and not just like....ya know weird.

5. jcf

jcf Member

John or Ted?

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The first two debates at universities could play into Bet's favor. The last debate in a studio is bit more concerning. That said Cruz is a mega unlikable douche who's supporters won't be swayed by debates. They're locked in just like Beto's supporters. It's the undecided and independents at stake so Beto just needs to talk to them in the debates because Cruz won't. Cruz will dig in and fire up the folks that were already going to vote for him. Let's hope he becomes even more unlikable to everyone else by doing so.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bobby was my first thought.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ha, but nothing will happen because the state won’t bring charge.

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

Keith.

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

It's quite simple, at least I'd hope so. If you have a person that isn't even man enough to stand up for his wife and father, why in the world would you expect him to stand up for anybody, for the Texans that he SHOULD be looking out for? It would be incredibly naive and stupid for any of his constituents to think he has their best interest at heart. He only looks out for himself, and that's why he swallowed and took it from Trump. His past actions prove it.

I really don't fully buy the whole "well we really don't like person A, but I person B is such a terrible person for wanting all sick people to get medical attention, so I'm totally voting for person A. And not just vote, but continually defend and support him. Guess what, you like person A. It's ok if that's the reality, but own up to that reality at least.

For example, you could've hated Hillary, and I certainly understand where you'd be coming from, but at least me personally, if I voted for Trump due to my hatred of Hillary, I wouldn't be happy with my Trump vote, sitting here today.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Uh, Ok....I own up to Trump being president [shrug]. He holds some positions I don't like, but I'm glad he's president rather than HRC. BTW, I didn't vote for either of them, but I did vote.

As for Cruz, he isn't perfect either, but I think that given Beta's personal issues, combined with his policy positions, make him un-electable in Texas. And well they should.

And there's things about Cruz I don't like, but there are a lot of things I do like, and I'm pretty sure I would prefer him over Beta.

One thing I've discovered is: you're never going to get the candidate that perfectly represents your own personal and policy desires, goals, and objectives. So in the end, you're going to a) hold your nose and vote for somebody who has qualities you don't like b) vote for some third party that probably has no chance in h*** of winning (I do this often) or c) sitting it out.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ok..this is interesting to me. The DTPA is a consumer protection act. I'm not sure what exception there is to it, but typically to be a plaintiff you have to be a consumer who "seeks to acquire, by lease or purchase, goods or services." I'm not pulling up the Business & Commerce Code...just regurgitating that from memory. I'd be curious to know what changes were made to protect potential donors to campaigns. Or I suppose the protection is that someone can't pretend to be imposing a government issued summons to someone to seek money in any way...

But it's not the state that would bring this charge...the DTPA provides civil remedies to consumers. It's not a criminal statute; though there are lot of things you could do to violate the DTPA that would also be criminal.

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think these two tweets might be of interest to you...

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

You have every right to vote whoever you'd like to. That's the beautiful thing about this country. We have freedom of speech (unless you are a football player apparently). Again, as a man, all respect for Ted has been lost. This is more than politics. If a family member let that kind of disrespect happen, I'm feeling the same way.

Feel free to vote for Ted. I'll vote for Beto. And I'll eagerly await the results.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I thought he was afraid to debate Cruz?

Cruz is a very good at debating from a nuts and bolts perspective.

The problem is that Cruz really isn't very charismatic, isn't terribly likable and does not make a good contract with Beto visually.

The optics are terrible for Cruz:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I never bet against an incumbent with an "(R)" next to his name in Texas, but this is far from an ideal match up for Cruz. Essentially he needs voters to look past which candidate is more likable and more charismatic and vote based on pure political profile. That is hard to do at a macro level. Usually the more charismatic candidate wins.

Amiga and KingCheetah like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps, time will tell.

There is a lot at risk for both candidates in a debate.

Cruz has the funding, the "(R)" next to his name, is a household name and is the incumbent. He has every reason to win and debating usually doesn't really help the incumbent much.

O'Rourke has never debated someone as skilled as Ted Cruz, and never at the level and stage that he will against Cruz. A poor showing and he drifts away to be forgotten. A strong debate performance and he has a real shot at beating Cruz. With the current political landscape, a victory over Cruz and he likely is a front runner for the Democratic nomination for President of the USA.

joshuaao and Bobbythegreat like this.
  18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Just...ugh. Not to derail this thread but: They do have freedom of speech. There's a difference between a) having freedom of speech and then b) freedom from the consequences of that speech. The first is protected (although not absolute); the second is not, at least in the market place of ideas. And the actual marketplace too.

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I fully comprehend the distinction. They had freedom of speech until they said something that others don't agree with, or don't want to here.

Did the NFL have a rule prior to the protests that you cannot kneel during the National Anthem? If not, there really wasn't an established set of consequences that were just enforced. Many people got offended/butthurt, and therefore consequences were made after the fact. Again, all because someone used their freedom of speech, but said something that others didn't want to hear.

The NBA is different, they have it in the rules, so I think your explanation fits better there.

20. KingCheetah

I've always been interested in debating and all the subtle tricks and word play involved all the way down to the pen spinning we thought was such a great distraction when we were kids. That being said after hearing what a great debater Cruz was I was surprised how poorly he has presented each time I've watched him.

It's one thing to be a great debater on a team, but it an entirely different sport when you are performing for an audience who zero interest outside of major elections.

KISS, positive optics, etc.

Rashmon likes this.