1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

But “The Mexicans will pay for the wall” sounds believable or sincere?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Cue the “so you’re saying what about Trump?” gif.

3. TheresTheDagger

But "I only deleted 30,000 emails about Yoga and Wedding plans" sounds believable or sincere?

cml750 likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well he is running, probably not to win, but maybe would be a good VP candidate.

DD

5. Nook

Nook Member

“Going to save Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security with no cuts.”

Does that sound believable?

Trump’s proposed budget says no.

You can claim Republicans don’t fall for the Obama/Beto approach because it sounds phony but the Republicans fall for insincere bullshit at least as often as the democrats.

6. TheresTheDagger

Nolen asked why Republicans don't fall for the "we are the world" approach. I answered for myself honestly.

Suddenly, the conversation shifted to "whataboutism". Exactly what is the point of such a conversation....to convince me that Dems are honest because Reps have also been insincere?

Sounds like a stupid conversation to me.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Do you really want to go to an honesty contest with trump as your candidate?

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I always thought this was one of Trump's few stupid comments, but I'm not sure why it would not be feasible; at least, pay for some of the wall.

In concept, at least, the US could tax remittances back to Mexico if the workers here used Western Union, MoneyGram, etc.

Two possible problems:

1) getting the tax bill through Congress

2) how much revenue could actually be obtained from this (ie, would it be enough).

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When the Trumpers come out in a thread like this, a Dem must be doing something right.

Beto has their attention. And I love how they act like we care about their opinion on a candidate.

Rule #1... they will hate anyone and everyone with a D next to their name. Nobody cares about your opinion of a Dem. Cue the attacks about how his hair was too long in college. I’m sure that’ll work guys. Keep at it.

Rashmon and Harrisment like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a discussion of why Beto, or a combination of Beto-Biden, is the Republicans' "worst nightmare":

https://thebulwark.com/biden-beto-or-biden-beto-is-the-gops-worst-nightmare/

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden/ Beto 2020 -- it's almost like Obama is running again!

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is a very optimistic take that I’ve seen made before. However it’s basically rooted in Trumps approval rating which is a flawed argument when it comes to Trump politics.

Trump doesn’t play to win by being universally popular. He plays to win by getting his opponent as dirty and beat up in the public sphere as possible. If you think he will go low, he will go lower. It works only because his base doesn’t care how bad he is, but the other reasonable 65% care about the other guy. He wins by beating those 65%... not necessarily his opponent... into submission by not going to vote.

It’s the same method he’s used for decades. It’s the same as him getting in a celebrity fued where the goal is to get people to not want to see that movie stars new film, etc. this is what this man does for a living.

But the good news for the sake of Beto is I think is the material he’s going to use could actually make Beto more likable. Instead of painting a picture in people’s heads of a female movie star who has to wax their mustache, his predictable attacks on Beto will probably make him more relatable and likable. Making fun of Beto for being in a band helps Beto.

We will see. The pathway for Beto or anyone is of course Mich, Penn, and Wisc. But... Texas is such an insanely inticing state for the Dems that running Beto just makes all the sense in the world. He could literally run nowhere else, but if he finds a way to flip Tarrant county and a few others he lost in 2018, he could score one of the biggest electoral game changers in poltical history and wipe Trump off the floor.

#173 dobro1229, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Beto is prime vice president material, except that he probably can't deliver Texas for the Democrats.

15. NewRoxFan

I usually look heavily at what state(s) a VP candidate helps win. But the main Democrats this year come from safe blue states (Klobuchar, MN; Harris, CA; Hickenlooper, CO). So if you focus on swing or lean red states, that leaves who? Pete Buttigieg? Sherrod Brown?

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Which is exactly why the "but he didn't even win in Texas" line the right keeps spouting is just dumbassery at it's finest. He's a Democrat that lost a state wide race by a very very slim margin...something thought to be nearly impossible. No, he likely won't carry Texas in the General Election...but he could force Trump to spend resources here which can have an effect in other places.

JuanValdez likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Speaking of appearing crazy...

[​IMG]

Rashmon and joshuaao like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Rashmon and KingCheetah like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which as usual makes it all about Trump, Beto fades into the background. you're playing right into, um, Trump's hands

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a lot to play into there if that's the case.