1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

Was wondering about the Gabbert love seems like the new green party candidate.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would be incredibly damaging to the Democrats if she garnished a mind amount of support from the left, and then right at the perfect/worst time, broke away from the party & ran as an independent. Even 2% of the votes would matter in certain states like Michigan.

I think we'll know pretty quickly if she's compromised in any way. If she's not, and its just maybe just more of a casual run-in that doesn't amount to much, her staying in party won't matter too much as she cannot win the nomination with the low name recognition & support.

If she really is loyal to her causes & especially country over whatever run-in she's got with Russia, I hope she drops it, and sticks around for awhile. I think she's interesting, and hope she's got a future in the party.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a GREAT way for Beto (and other dem candidates who also support this) to win over moderate Republicans from the Trump side. Nice to see they already have a plan in place to blow the 2020 election like they did in 2016.

Great job, Dems!

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I guess the first sentence is being facetious? But yes, I agree. I can't imagine how Dems think this is a winning issue. Even if they were able to pass something, who gets the largesse? What's the basis?

So, in addition to being politically foolhardy, the idea is also impractical/unfeasible to carry out.

It goes to show the extent of the bubble that the Progressives are living in.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's possible to like Gabbard without being exposed to any propaganda. I mean, I'm not a particular fan, but just because you like a candidate that RT is also promoting doesn't mean very much.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Aggh, she is "oddly favorable"to Russia since she doesn't want to escalate the arms race again and Russia doesn't want it either. Wants to spend the trillions here at home. So therefore proven she is a Russian agent. Yeah right.

The military industrial complex always has bipartisan support.

Space Ghost likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is Beto's campaign struggling?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously? I would expect nothing less from the Washington Examiner, a very conservative Washington rag. Besides, isn't that about half the population of Iowa?

What's a Tulsi Gabbard? Sounds like a variety of duck. Don't count your ducks before they quack!

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I could believe it if only because he has no distinguishing characteristics, and doesn't display nor have any bona fides for a competent/stable presidency during this deeply divided era.

Bar lowered with Trump, I know. I know.

As an aside because this topic is as good as any....The secret sauce for a "visionary candidate" is to open a door, an amnesty policy if you will, for people who voted for Trump AND regret their decision from whatever false ideals or unkept promises they've now realized. It's the magic hangover pill that'll be harder to swallow if we get 4 more years of this ****.

Current bipartisan trench warfare does not tolerate deserters, and they will be shot on sight. Moderates will be drawn and quartered in order to be made an example of.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Hey, What Happened to Betomania?"

In the span of three weeks, O’Rourke has gone from overcrowded events with the overflow of curious voters standing outside venues, to only attracting 80 people to a noontime appearance. The Mayor of Dennison, Iowa commented to a Politico reporter that the event should have drawn 1,000 people. “For noon on a workday, this is absurd.”

I see two challenges for Beto as he moves forward. First, he has to continue to get his campaign up to a professional level. By that I mean he needs campaign infrastructure. He likes to be the free spirit guy. The one without the formal campaign apparatus, as though he’s just flying by the seat of his pants. That won’t serve him well for long and it looks like he’s recognizing that. He’s looking for a campaign manager. And he’s polishing up his act with gestures like introducing local officials at his events. All of this is really basic stuff, at least for those of us who have been in and around politics for any length of time, yet Beto seems to only now be learning the ropes.

Second, he has to do all he can to avoid the pitfalls of trying to be all to everyone. It’s the name of the game in politics, of course, especially in a raucous primary to embrace every new idea and run with it. Beto is an empty suit, which the voters may or may not eventually realize with virtually no legislative success to tout. He served in the House of Representatives for three terms yet was a back-bencher, unknown to anyone outside of the El Paso area for whom he served. He will have to get up to speed with other candidates in his ability to flesh out and articulate actual policy positions to potential voters, not just rattle off a bunch of popular talking points and try to say something bold enough for a sound bite on cable television.​

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/09/hey-happened-betomania/

13. HTM

HTM Member

Calling Netanyahu a racist (whether it's true or not) didn't seem like a sound diplomatic decision.

MiddleMan likes this.
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Beto is so yesterday, It's all Pete all the time now.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think too much stock should be placed in crowd size months before the first debate. The election cycle is exhausting and only hardcore dorks, like those of us in the D&D, are analyzing April crowd sizes.

I'm not a Beto supporter in this race, but I'd wait until the debates start before making any evaluations of any one candidate's chances.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

honestly I don't see how this guy has any chance at all of becoming President. sorry, I just don't see it.

here's the video

18. HTM

HTM Member

Obviously not all but a number of high profile Democrats have been caught out as extremely stingy vis-a-vis charitable giving.

It's a really bad look.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Giving to charity is the virtue signaling fad of the day? Why do I care if presidential candidates give to charity?

biff17 and KingCheetah like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I had major damage in a hurricane and was still able to triple beto's 2017 charitable donations.