1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Cuban Sandwich

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smitheygerard, Aug 17, 2017.

1. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I saw the movie Chef a couple weeks ago, and ever since I have been desperately craving a super authentic delicious Cuban sandwich.

What are the best spots in Houston or Austin please?

Much appreciated...

[​IMG]

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I really liked that movie.

Try La Vina and report back what you think. I believe it is the same restaurant that used to be on Fairview and Woodhead or Driscoll? Looks like it moved.

Dave2000 and smitheygerard like this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

El Rey, Cafe Piquet & La Vina.

El Rey
    [​IMG]

Cafe Piquet
    [​IMG]

La Vina
    [​IMG]

eric.81 and smitheygerard like this.
  4. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Yes El Rey is terrific... Had it a few times.

I looked up La Vina and that's the type of place I'm looking for. It looks really authentic. I'll have to try that out!

Muchisimos gracias

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

There's a food truck called the Cuban spot that makes an amazing one. Check their Facebook to see if they'd be on your side of town anytime soon.

smitheygerard likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@smitheygerard

I wouldn't get your hopes up that La Vina has a sandwich to match the food truck in the movie Chef, but yeah, the original on Fairview served what appeared like authentic street food and common food of Cuba.

A Chef-quaility sandwich would probably require finding a Food Truck in Miami inspired by the movie. Then again, I haven't been to La Vina since the movie came out, so maybe they got a lot of customer requests and offer a fancier one now.

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Yeah the food in that movie was insane. I was reading that Favreau hired a legit chef to make all those meals... my mouth was watering throughout.

For now I'm hoping La Vina will do the trick. I can make a killer one at home, but roasting the pork shoulder takes forever...

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

@smitheygerard, La Viña is really good, but try Flor de Cuba. Highway 6 @ Clay Rd. I haven't had their Cuban sandwich, but everything else I've had there is really great.

My #1 recommendation for any Cuban cuisine is Cafe Piquet on Bissonnett. My family has been loyal customers for decades, since before it was even a restaurant (it used to be a deli and grocery before it moved to its current location and iteration). Pictures of my Cuban grandparents and their hospital in Havana are actually hanging on the wall somewhere in there. I can honestly say I have loved everything I've ever eaten at Piquet's. Excellent staff and service, too. EDIT: make sure you order the medianoche rather than a simple cubano... the differences are subtle but key.

http://www.cafepiquet.net

No matter what, make sure you wash it down with an ice cold Ironbeer. Please report back on your experiences!!

#8 eric.81, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

the best one I've ever had was at Puerto Sagua in Miami back in 2006, anyone else I've tried hasn't even come close to it

need to check out the recommendations here, thanks guys

I'd also recommend Chef to anybody, even visits Austin in the movie

smitheygerard likes this.
  10. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I took a gander at the menu of piquet and I think I've decided to go there... As far as the medianoche vs. Cubano, the main difference I can see is the bread is softer and sweeter. Either way I'm willing to give it a try.

That Cuban spot food truck looks amazing too, I'll have to try it sometime. My only complaint is the picture makes it appear that the sandwich is 80/20 pork to ham, and I'm a firm believer in a 50/50 breakdown when it comes to a Cubano.

These are some great suggestions. I'll post back after I've tried one out.

eric.81 and heypartner like this.
  11. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Not a Cubano

12. VanityHalfBlack

Update? I’m itching for some Cuban sandwiches. I’m in alief

13. Buck Turgidson

On that side of town: Cafe Piquet seems to be the most well-liked. Rincon Criollo also.

Not a cubano, but great latin sammiches can be found at Mexico's Deli on Dairy Ashford. I miss that place. Bring an appetite, they're huge.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

Yes Rincon Criollo right by the house. Will report back thanks!