1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Comedian 2000-2020?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dave ain't been the same since he came back from Africa...

2. Fantasma Negro

I love Big Jay, he's indescribably funny

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I saw Dave last summer at Red Rocks w/ John Mayer, best live show I've ever seen. He's still got it

Mathloom, Fantasma Negro and RudyTBag like this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

past 20 years

Dave
    Fluffy
    Blue Collar Guys
    Hart

currently I really enjoy Brad Williams

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

All the greats have been mentioned so I'll give a shout out to Jeff Ross for owning roasts for about 20 years now.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Or so the Germans would have us believe.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Where would Jeff Dunham rate on your scale?

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Chappelle definitely still has it. He came to the Netherlands last year and he killed it. Made some awesome cultural reference jokes like this racist version of Santa Claus we have here, red light district and such. He even dissed his body guards for looking like sissies (they have no guns obviously and are in general not as big as some of those huge dudes from the US) and asked some questions to the audience and just roasted them. Lastly when the lights guy didn't follow him fast enough he started running across stage to see if he could catch up and acted as the guy like "This N*** won't stand still, damnit". Hilarious!!

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

From a standup perspective: Louis CK.

I like Chris Rock, but he only did like 2 standup specials since 2000 with "Never Scared" and "Kill The Messenger".

Chapelle Show was great, but then he went MIA for like a decade. I saw his Netflix specials but I don't think it was as good as "Killin' Them Softly".

Louis CK has done 10 specials since 2000. Yeah, he's done some TV shows and directed films, but standup is his bread and butter. And I don't think he can be matched on stage.

Special nod to John Mulaney. He'd be a candidate for 2010-2030.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is there a definitive Mulaney set I should watch? I’ve seen one of his specials and didn’t love it.

Killing them softly is one of the best specials ever put together. Dave doesn’t have to hit that level again to still be amazing. His stuff is still as good as it gets in modern comedy.

Louis CK’s volume and high level of consistency probably makes him the best of the 2000’s.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In addition, one plus one equals two.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Bill Burr

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Dave then Louis.

That’s it.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

New in Town special was his best stuff. If you don't like it then you wont like him.

BigM likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Did you ever see Seinfeld stand-up? Dude was completely not funny. Larry David made that show.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Dave Chappelle for the first 10 years. His last special wasn't nearly as good.

These days, I love Bill Burr.

#57 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    jcf, CometsWin and whathappened like this.
  18. likestohypeguy

Twenty years is just too long a range to name a single best, where a comedian's trend during this time period especially is about their show gets super hot and they knock a few specials out of the park, and peak hard over a few years. We're either just naming our favorites, or who's hottest lately.

Repeat what others have said, chapelle, gaffigan, mulaney, louis ck, bill burr, but if I had to pick one, sticking with Jerry Seinfeld, even though his best days predate 00-20 obviously, his shows domination & standup, but he still has late material in cars & coffee & an occasional special. Also depends on how tightly you define what comedy means to you- Seinfeld & mulany are straight forward and just about the jokes, writing and delivery, talk show performances. Whether how clever or original a bit is matters to you. Because I have to admit Chapelle has made me laugh harder at more stuff in this time frame, but no longer, as he & his act has not aged well to my eyes vs. when he was skinny & young, could visually punctuate with expression, never realized how much that was helping him before.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. Skinny Dave = hilarious. Fat Dave = not so much.

20. Buck Turgidson

I'm gonna have to check out Fat Dave, don't think I've seen any of his recent standup.

Has anyone seen "Crashing" with Pete Holmes? I had no idea who Pete Holmes was, but the first season was pretty good (if you like stand up you'll like it). Mulaney and a bunch of other guys make appearances. Speaking of Mulaney, was talking about this with my brother a couple of nights ago, he'd just got back from seeing Eddie Izzard, but he told me to watch this snl clip with Mulaney:

Xerobull likes this.