1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Chinese Food in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Aug 10, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow, thx for the tips. Will have to try Regal Seafood House soon.

How would you describe HK/China cuisine vs other major Chinese regions.

Mala probably gets so much press, because Sichuan is well-liked. And also because once we find a place we like that we have to drive fairly far to get to, we stick with it. So the rep just builds on itself.

Can you suggest other Sichuan restaurants?

Tonaaayyyy likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about the HK restaurants in Houston these day but figure a city like Houston probably has some good ones.

On the differences HK / Cantonese ( 广东菜 Guangdong Tsai in Chinese) is what most Americans think of as Chines food and a lot of the American Chinese food is bastardized versions of Cantonese dishes. Cantonese food is less spicy, lighter and in some cases more oily than other Chinese styles. It uses fresh herbs sparingly in contrast to other styles. It features more seafood and has a greater variety of ingredients than many other Chinese styles. Dim Sum is Cantonese.

Sichuan (四川菜 Sichuan Tsai) is noted for its spicyness particularly the use of the Sichuan pepper (花椒 hua jiao in Chinese). This isn't a chili pepper but a pepper corn and imparts a numbing (ma la in Chinese) rather than burning sensation and a slightly metallic taste. Sichuan food is generally spicier and heartier than Cantonese food. Sichuan food is more meat based than Cantonese and pork, chicken, rabbit, and mutton are very popular in Sichuan.

donkeypunch and Exiled like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^ got it. Knewmost of that. I was wondering why agslai said only "HK/China" cuisine. Didn't realize it was synonymous with Cantonese cuisine. I thought maybe is was subset of Cantonese.

Any other Sichuan recommendations other than Mala?

It's becoming frequent to hear Chinese ex-pats in Houston say Mala is getting overrated, but whenever I ask, "Great, do you have another recommendation for good Sichuan?", I'm not getting other recommendations.

4. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

HK is mainly Cantonese style cooking, while China have numerous styles of cooking such as SiChuan, Hunan, etc.

Mala Sichuan is okay, nice crowd. I do not prefer Sichuan type of cooking so couldn't tell you where to go. TPersonally, it is just spicy food that burns your stomach and the Mala really has no taste except numbs your tongue.

You should try Confucius, Sinh Sinh, and Fungs Kitchen as they are the top rated chinese restaurants for the past 15-20 years. Mala Sichuan has only been there a few years. With Confucius, good luck trying to find a table during peak times.

Guys-When you go to these restaurants, please DO NOT order chicken fried rice, general tso chicken, sweet & sour pork. I am sure most restaurant will cook it to cater to Americans, but you are not exactly trying authentic asian cuisine.

Tonaaayyyy and daywalker02 like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Dinfast and Lundinner, trending.

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Try FuFu (the one facing Bellaire, not FuFu cafe). Lots of good food choices, never a bad meal.

Arco Seafood - Beijing duck plus duck soup is very good, good dim sum, best sautéed string beans and pork in town

Try some noodle shops in Chinatown. These aren’t ramen places. It’s chinese or Taiwanese noodle dishes.

Xiong’s cafe does good stuff. Beef noodle soup is good (go for the spicy one). Or minced pork w black bean sauce and cucumbers. And get the onion pancakes. Try San Dong Noodle shop too. Gotta get the steamed rice pork/rice balls.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rice Box in the Heights is soooooooo good.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Got Beijing Duck over there? One of mah fave.

[​IMG]

9. itony

itony Member

check out spicy girl in midtown. dope ass 3-course whole duck meal for ~50$. call in advance for the duck

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. mikus

mikus Member

If anyone here is a fan of soup dumplings(ie xiao long bao), this place One Dragon on Bellaire in Chinatown is probably one of the best places I've had soup dumplings in the world. My cousins feel like it is as good as DinTaiFung in Taiwan, which is Michelin Star rated. One Dragon is in the same plaza as Mala Sichuan.

hvic and daywalker02 like this.
  11. marky :)

marky :) Member

I too agree they have the best soup dumplings(that I've tried) in Houston. Their fried soup dumplings are good also.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've eaten at Din Tai Fung in Suzhou, China. Freaking awesome. That's high praise comparing a Houston place to that.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. mikus

mikus Member

Yes indeed. It's actually pretty amazing that we have a place this good in Houston.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dough should be thin, soup must be plentiful.

Also take the fried ones.

[​IMG]

#74 daywalker02, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    mikus likes this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

I know what the worst is: Panda Express? In terms of taste. Their marketing skills are pretty good though, lol.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Wow..........I almost posted in this thread last night to ask about soup dumplings. I've only been to Din Tai Fung in Seattle, but it was awesome. We paid them a second visit on the same trip.

mikus likes this.
  17. Bob Barker 007

I definitely want to give One Dragon a try. I went to several places in Shanghai where soup dumplings were $2-4, and those places were all better than the overpriced Din Tai Fung in the Xintiandi District.

18. hvic

hvic Member

I hope this is a joke bc its overrated.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I do delivery only. Taste of china on louetta has fast delivery. She said she only deliver for me for free, I felt so special. If you want to go on a diet kickstart it Chinese food but make sure it has vegetables.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

if you ever in sugar land area, try this small hole in the wall place call Chang's, next to the old Ragin Cajun.