1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Berman] AJ Hinch to Sign Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Aug 29, 2018.

1. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Ummmm clearly....? Didn't realize that concept was so confusing. Again my full time job isn't a clutchfans poster so... maybe hop off it?

2. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Was Peacock not available? I would have preferred him. But again lets pretend Rondon was the only option.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you’re the type that simply thinks the alternative would be the right solution, regardless of actual performance. Sorta like the type who claims they’re leaving, only to claim that they never were whenever the moment suits you.

What about Rondon’s pitches tonight irked you?

When should Hinch have made the change to the “superior” Peacock, who btw has pretty poor numbers against these 1-4 and at Fenway overall?

And, Hinch not going to Peacock, with suspect performance issues and not an overwhelming choice, makes him an idiot according to you... again, you preach about not being ignorant, then you go and make statements like this.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Fair enough, I read more into your comments than what your said.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In all honesty, what did you think of Hinch leaving Sipp in against the right handed hitter?

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Laughable questioning Hinch when Rondon has been pretty darn good and someone that is most likely going to be put in high leverage situations in the postseason.

So easy to state it was a mistake after the fact.

Look, the Astros had a huge run taken away from them and it may have changed what Hinch would have done. Maybe. Osuna pitched a couple of days in a row, maybe you see him, maybe you don’t. Maybe you see Pressly there, but I doubt it.

Rondon is trusted to get outs in that situation. I’m not going to argue that it was the wrong move.

It would have been great to get the sweep, but they didn’t. I’m ready to move on and build upon the nice run the Astros have been on.

Oh and Sipp was fantastic. I’m sure many thought that was the wrong move when he came in, but obviously it was not.

YOLO likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hinch leaves in Sipp - Should have put in Rondon.

Hinch puts in Rondon. - Why not Osuna or Pressley here?

Hinch puts in Osuna or Pressley. - Hinch is stupid, burning his pen like that pitching them everyday. Terrible bullpen management.

Rondon struggles, leaves him in - Should have pulled him.

Rondon struggles, pulls him for Peacock - Peacock has been shaky as hell, would have been better to leave in Rondon

Rondon struggles, pulls him for Devo/Harris - Holy s**t Hinch, Devo/Harris is a gascan, what a f**king dumb move.

Of course, if anything works it's in spite of his dumb bullpen management. No matter what choice he makes, it was wrong.

8. bobrek

Years ago when Garner was managing, they were on national TV and Joe Morgan was announcing. Astros had a runner on first (potential base stealer) in a close game. Morgan says "Garner has to call for a steal here". Garner didn't. Other team called a pitchout. Morgan says "Garner got lucky there".

mikol13 and arkoe like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Something similar happened in the Texans game yesterday when they didn't go for it on 4th down and punted... Romo and Nantz were besides themselves wondering why they aren't going for it.

Then the Patriots punt returner muffs it and the Texans get possession.

They then make fun of their previous viewpoints, saying "Who the hell was calling them to go for it? You gotta punt it there!"

Announcers who admittedly don't take themselves too seriously and have the ability to make fun of themselves are often more well received than guys like Morgan who think their opinion is the only one that should ever matter.

mikol13 and arkoe like this.
  10. bobrek

I was beside myself as well. :) What's the difference between losing 34 - 13 and 27 - 13.

11. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

You mean the switch hitter....?

12. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I know Peacock hasn't been as dominant this year, but if I remember correctly his movement on his breaking pitches served well against left handed hitters. That's the reason I suggested him. Obviously he wasn't the only option. Look Rondon has been good I get that, but occasionally Verlander has a rough outing too... it happens. Rondon didn't seem to have it last night.

BUT PLEASE CONTINUE TO DEFEND EVERY SINGLE ****ING MOVE HINCH MAKES. Didn't realize you were married to him. I'm tired of your annoying comments dude just come off it. I'm simply responding to you bc you are obsessed with me, but I would be perfectly fine if you had nothing else to say.

13. bobrek

Nope...I mean right handed hitter Christian Vasquez..the second hitter Sipp faced.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Peacock has an 0.850 OPS against lefties this year and 0.575 against righties. Your suggestion is terrible.

15. Buck Turgidson

Funny thread is funny.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which hit did you declare Rondon not to "have it". And as has already been mentioned, Peacock hasn't been better against lefties this year.

On the contrary, I'm responding to YOUR criticism. You came in here claiming that Hinch was a benefit of circumstance, having a stacked roster, and mostly any manager would be able to succeed. When that logic was questioned or debunked, you responded with his lack of adequate bullpen management. When that was questioned or debunked, you took the first potential opening of a "bullpen failure" (if you can even call it that) to try and say he sucks.

I'm sorry, I'm not the one obsessed with a WS winning manager's failure... that would be you. I know there are better tacticians out there... and there may be better ones with people skills... but the Astros happened to stumble upon a guy who has plus qualities at both, and fits this team well enough to win championships.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He should get together with Senator and argue with him. Senator has Hinch as a top 3 manager and Lunow as "15th" best GM. Worlds could collide and heads could explode as he has AJ as a mediocre manager benefiting from amazing FO roster construction.

Major likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You haven't seen the secret bullshit forum?

Its where all the ignored posters posts go... (in my head, at least).

19. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Fair. I was mistaken. Still Rondon gave up three straight hits and we lost the game--so continuing to argue that is the right move seems bizarre to me but whatever.

20. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I'm not obsessed. If you could read...someone tagged me in this thread bc I have been critical of Hinch in the past. Obviously we won the WS so I backed off. Not until a few days ago have I said a single thing about Hinch. I think he's average to above average at best, and the Hinch truthers believe he's top 5, top 3. Whatever--I don't understand why it had to become so personal. I have my opinions--FEEL FREE TO DISAGREE. Nothing I say is going to change your mind and nothing you say is going to change mine. Just ****ing deal with it. You are beyond annoying.