1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Berman] AJ Hinch to Sign Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Aug 29, 2018.

1. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

To be fair Hinch "got it done" bc Altuve got it done, Correa got it done, Verlander got it done, Marwin got it done, Morton got it done, McCullers got it done, Bregman got it done, SPRINGER DINGER got it done......etc. Point is his main job is to handle the pitching situation and arrange the lineups. Nobody has said the managers you listed are mediocre. Madden and Melvin have immense experience for one, and a terrific track record. Boone inherited a tremendous roster. Cora turned around a team that--while they made the playoffs last year--they were a bad offensive team. Now they are a juggernaut. We all knew he was a good managerial candidate.

Hinch certainly isn't a bad or even mediocre manager. But that isn't going to stop me from pointing out his obvious and glaring flaws. Flaws he exhibits over and over. I credit him for the fact that he is willing to go against the grain and try different things (last postseason being an example). All managers make mistakes, but for whatever reason his regular season management of the bullpen drives me nuts. Maybe I'm being irrational.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Surprise, surprise, surprise, every pitching move a manager makes doesn't work out. Consistently putting Giles into tie games? He came into the 0-0 Yankee game and proceeded to give up 4 runs. Do you realize that in his previous 8 games, he allowed 0 base runners. Why wouldn't you put your closer in that situation? The next time he entered a tie game? Against the Rangers. Giles pitched 1.2 innings (came in with 1 on and 1 out) and held the tie and subsequent lead. Did Giles have some sucky appearances in non-save situations, undoubtedly. To say Hinch erred in "consistently" brining him into tie games is revisionist history.

Aside from perhaps pulling McCullers too soon in the Yankee loss, how else did he mismanage him in the playoffs? Keep in mind, McCullers was hurt all of August and half of September. I suspect many managers would have pulled him after 6 innings and 81 pitches given that.

mikol13 likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, who do you feel are the best managers of all time, or today?

I’m sure everybody will have fun using your same simplistic logic against you... And its funny for you to use Cora as an example of good managing, when they signed JD Martinez, Betts and Bogarts got healthy, and Benentendi has another year of experience... but yeah, its all Cora... and this also contradicts what you say managers main responsibility is.

TBH, Hinch has had what many considered upper echelon bullpens, even when it was Harris-Neshek-Gregerson, Harris-Gregerson-Giles, Harris-Devenski-Giles, and now Pressly-Rodon-Osuna. I’m sure he has nothing to do with any of this while his team continues to win games and make the playoffs.

4. Major

Major Member

This is nonsense. A manager's job is also to manage the clubhouse and the day-to-day motivation and attitude of the team. Unlike fans here, he doesn't panic and bench guys after they go 0-8 or try to get players sent to AAA or whatever other nonsense people suggest. Getting the best out of Correa, Altuve, and others is a big part of his job. Many of the players have publicly credited him for that stuff.

If you think a manager's job is just to manage a pitching staff, you don't seem to have much understanding of human psychology or baseball.

Canadiandude likes this.
  5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Oh I agree. I was also talking strictly about on the field baseball responsibilities. I'm fully aware of the clubhouse responsibilities, and that is a major reason I wouldn't want us to fire him. The team loves him I get that. Maybe instead of jumping to ignorant conclusions you could actually read what I'm saying and think it through. I believe in you bud.

6. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

You know what nevermind I tap out. All the Hinch fanboys will continue to tell me he's the best manager of all time and nobody on the planet could possibly do a better job. This argument is ****ing stupid. Not worth my time. I've said what I have to say so please I encourage y'all to continue to take my words out of context and use them to formulate your own arguments.

Have fun.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hyperbole much? Not sure I have seen anyone say anything close to Hinch being the "best manager of all time".

marks0223 likes this.
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

No manager's perfect. Are you really arguing though that it's worth the risk to replace a manager who won a WS last year and who has a great relationship with the players for an unknown?

9. Malaya

Malaya Member

Don't forget Hinch has great synergy with Luhnow and the front office with their analytics input. Reams and reams of data available before the game, several have reported.

Not all managers/potential managers can handle the amount of input Luhnow gives on the day to day operations of the team. Hinch has found the right balance.

Canadiandude likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody said anything you claim... You're the one trying to insinuate that he's more a benefit of circumstance/roster than accomplishment. Now that you've been disproven, you cower away and run.

Glad you're not a leader of men of any sort... runs away at the slightest bit of adversity.

11. Major

Major Member

When you've f-ed up an argument, it's much easier to create strawmen and tell everyone they are stupid and run away.

12. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Yes y'all are ****ing stupid. Hinch left Rondon in too long tonight btw so **** off.

13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

It's not me running away. I just don't care what your stupid opinion is and I have more important things to do than sit on a message board all freaking day long.

14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Umm no. If you read my other posts you would see I am absolutely not saying they should replace him. Carry on with the ignorance.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic statement for somebody clamoring that Hinch left in Rondon “too long”...

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

... but you said you were running away and you were done with this. And now you’re not and sounding more ignorant and childish by the post....

17. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Actually I never said I was "running away". You said that. I said I am tapping out. If I come back later bc I have time then so be it. Get off my jock...

18. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Ironic bc it's true? You might need to use a dictionary.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why say anything?

And you tapped out... but now you’re tapped in? Doesn’t tapping out count as a forfeit?

Again, you said it... and you got deserved flack for it... now you want to throw yourself back into the mix and again you’re going to get **** for it. Especially blaming the manager for leaving in his 2nd best bullpen guy vs the top of the lineup, after he retired two of their MVP candidates, gave up a shift single, and a bleeder up the middle (after a questionable ball call), and then a bloop single.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, which pitching matchup vs. Moreland or Bogarts do you go to?

Pressly not available after going the last two days. Osuna may not have been available either after two straight days and a lot of pitches yesterday.

Rondon is better than anybody else he had, and he really didn’t give up anything egregious.

But, i’m Sure you already thought about all of this... feel free to tap out again at any point.